Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a Sharktail?

Making a Sharktail?

Hello fellow Mers! I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tutorials on making a shark tail? I'm personally a Lemon Mershark, and would love to show it!

Senior Member Euro Pod Mermaid Livou's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Livou on Facebook Add Mermaid Livou on Google+
    Visit Mermaid Livou's Youtube Channel
    Hey, I was wondering ( and sketching) how could work a vertical monofin... like, in bellydance there are both front-to beck body wave movements (like sg u need to move for dolphin kick = mammals), and also side-to-side (maya?) movement, so why not adopt it to water (=fish swimming) X'D it might be bad for the knees and not really efficient for fast forward moving tho but would worth a try so my try would be a vertical monofin to develop then make the body/skin smooth (aaaal these just theory)

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)
    I know Shimmer Tail makes a shark fabric tails. It has a shark fin on the back.

Sent from my ShellPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Livou View Post
    Hey, I was wondering ( and sketching) how could work a vertical monofin... like, in bellydance there are both front-to beck body wave movements (like sg u need to move for dolphin kick = mammals), and also side-to-side (maya?) movement, so why not adopt it to water (=fish swimming) X'D it might be bad for the knees and not really efficient for fast forward moving tho but would worth a try so my try would be a vertical monofin to develop then make the body/skin smooth (aaaal these just theory)
    Lol. Ok, maia's and taqsims are figure 8s with the hips, it is not a body wave or undulation. There are undulations or body waves that move down the body or up the body. Sorry, I teach belly dance and I dance professionally. As for how one could change a dolphin kick into a more shark like movement without hurting their knees...I dunno but it's an interesting concept.

Sent from my SM-G920T using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid_Izzy View Post
    I know Shimmer Tail makes a shark fabric tails. It has a shark fin on the back.

Ooh! I'm definitely gonna look into that one. :3

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid_Izzy's Avatar
    My lovely home in the mountains...(aka Southwest VA)
    Quote Originally Posted by SnarkySharky View Post
    Ooh! I'm definitely gonna look into that one. :3
    If you do watch their social media or sign up for their mailing list because they put a code for 75% off and free shipping about three or four times this past summer.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    If you watch the Mosasaur or Waterdragon video on my YT channel, you could modify these costumes to be sharklike.
    Just make them shorter, add a dorsal fin and so on

I'd love to see a shark fullbody costume too, although you probaby meant to be a half-shark mer.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingJohari View Post
    Lol. Ok, maia's and taqsims are figure 8s with the hips, it is not a body wave or undulation. There are undulations or body waves that move down the body or up the body. Sorry, I teach belly dance and I dance professionally. As for how one could change a dolphin kick into a more shark like movement without hurting their knees...I dunno but it's an interesting concept.

Yep, thank you, thats what I meant and tried to explain in my not native language I meant to compare the undulations with dolphin kick (as it also not just a leg kick), and the figure 8 with side to side fishy/shark move - I meant as a loose coparison not as direct, kinda just wondering

lol. No worries! the figure 8s in the water probably wouldn't give alot of power...hip slides would be more of the movement that's sharklike....but even so that would put alot of stress on the lower body. a modified monofin similar to that one that has shoes for the feet, then the fin itself is connected by an apparatus...dunno. Have you seen the leech video of the leech mer?

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    lol. No worries! the figure 8s in the water probably wouldn't give alot of power...hip slides would be more of the movement that's sharklike....but even so that would put alot of stress on the lower body. a modified monofin similar to that one that has shoes for the feet, then the fin itself is connected by an apparatus...dunno. Have you seen the leech video of the leech mer?
    That video was my friend, Kiri (Keirstin). She made the tail out of cheap materials as a test. When I messaged her about it, she said it was extremely dangerous, and that the motion actually caused her to be pulled backwards. She legs and back also suffered.

I would shy away from doing a side motion tail without a lot of mermaiding and aquadynamic experience.

*heading to search that video*

see SharkySharky, never alone with an idea

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    If you watch the Mosasaur or Waterdragon video on my YT channel, you could modify these costumes to be sharklike.
    Just make them shorter, add a dorsal fin and so on

I'd love to see a shark fullbody costume too, although you probaby meant to be a half-shark mer.
    Both of those sound absolutely fantastic! Do you have a link to those videos for me?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BX6cq9dBu0B/

This is Kiri's video, but as I already said, IT'S UNSAFE. Please take what you watch with a grain of salt.

I found your videos! They are really neat, I love the flowyness of them, I feel like shortening them would be a disservice! That being said, I might be able to fanagle a design using them as one of my reference points. A full shark costume would also be loads of fun, if I could figure out a good design that didn't look like a kid's discount costume. xD

Here are some of the messages she sent me while we were chatting.

Its just a garbage bag test. Meaning a contraption compiled of cheap, temporary materials in order to test a theory.

The final product is for a creature far larger and of violent intent.

The way I'm swimming is because the garbage bag test yielded a lot of mechanical problems that I am working towards engineering out.
    My knees are locked close, because the drag was so significant, and the "flipper" started up at my knees. Causing a really bad pendulum effect, and putting opposing thrust in the opposite direction as the lower thrust.

So, it was basically like trying to walk forward and backwards at the same time.

Haha! Again, it was just a test! And a failed test at that! But it looked cool, so I thought I would share.
    Haha! This thing would be extremely expensive to produce a second time, I dont plan on doing it again. I dont want to encourage people to drown. I've already had people asking for how I made it, and especially since it's not done, I dont' want to encourage people. Which has been difficult, since nobody READS.
    If anything, I will likely end up making a normal mermaid motion tail, but elongated, like an ACTUAL leech.

Or make something with larger scales and scutes, like a dragon.
    We'll see!
    :/ I really wish there was a safe and practical approach to this, but who knows?
    She also came up with a new design. I don't know if I'm allowed to share, but I know she'll pull it off, and it will BLOW OUR TAILS OUT OF THE WATER. She's so amazing.
    Last edited by Mermaid Kane; 09-19-2017 at 02:30 PM. Reason: I REALIZED SHE WASN'T TALKING TO ME, WHOOPS.

Kane, thank you for this information! I might abandon the shark tail idea with this new info I've been given- I don't want to put undue strain on my back and knees trying to mimic the motion of my chosen critter. Maybe I can do something similar, but with a veritical motion instead of horizontal. Might be that I have a horizontal fluke with shark-like fins? I'll have to sketch one out. Or maybe enlist the help of my fellow mers to assist in ideas? :3

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by SnarkySharky View Post
    Kane, thank you for this information! I might abandon the shark tail idea with this new info I've been given- I don't want to put undue strain on my back and knees trying to mimic the motion of my chosen critter. Maybe I can do something similar, but with a veritical motion instead of horizontal. Might be that I have a horizontal fluke with shark-like fins? I'll have to sketch one out. Or maybe enlist the help of my fellow mers to assist in ideas? :3
    ^^'' Sorry if I sounded rude by the way. I'm glad you didn't snap at me or anything.

I think a smoother fluke with notches at the tip would look great! And a shark back fin, of course. I can think of a lot of way to make a tail that screams ''SHARK''!

Oh of course not! Information is great to have, and I'd hate if I were trying to give important information like you were and someone snapped at me because it wasn't what they wanted to hear.

I'm definitely going to try to sketch some out when I get off work today- I do wonder how a dorsal fin would work though? I'd have to do some research about how to add embellishments to a fabric/polymaterial fin... n_n

Man, I am one Snarky Sharky.

I would listen to that voice that says "Don't try this at home, folks!" Be very very careful!

I would listen to that voice that says "Don't try this at home, folks!" Be very very careful!

Oh, without a doubt, especially since I'm still new at the mermaiding thing!

Man, I am one Snarky Sharky.