Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working with Tailmakers--What to Expect?

Working with Tailmakers--What to Expect?

So I've been thinking about ordering a silicone tail, and I was wondering what it was like discussing the creation/production of your tail with your tail maker.

Examples: discussing the design/your wants, working out measurements, explanation of tail construction/how it will be made, and how often you check in for updates/what those updates are typically about.

I understand everyone's experiences will be different depending on tailmaker, but I'd love to hear individual accounts of how the process worked for them.

Thanks!

.:YouTube:.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MermaidAiera
    .:Facebook:.
    https://www.facebook.com/MermaidAiera/

^^^ Like me on Facebook for fan updates and booking!!! ^^^
    ^^^ Follow me on Instagram @The_Long_Island_Mermaid ((MermaidAiera)) ^^^

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    :I I'd love to know as well.
    From reading reviews on this site, it seems like many tailmakers are slow-ish when it comes to communication? But that's the larger companies... so who knows?

Exactly. I'd like to know more about the process, like how often they spoke with their tail maker/what level of communication is acceptable.

I get this must be a LOT harder with bigger names like Merbellas and Finfolk, so I'm wondering how it even happens to begin with.
    ((tbh I don't think I could ever order from someone with a 2-3 year wait time...a lot can change in that time when it comes to special fx and artwork, who knows a new dream tail maker could come about with a shorter wait time, and you're still 400 days in with nothing))

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidAiera View Post
    ((tbh I don't think I could ever order from someone with a 2-3 year wait time...a lot can change in that time when it comes to special fx and artwork, who knows a new dream tail maker could come about with a shorter wait time, and you're still 400 days in with nothing))
    Ugh, agree with the wait time bit... especially because I am so young. 3 years sounds like forever, haha. Who knows who will be the big names in the business when it comes time for my first silicone tail?

I don't want to go too far off topic with this, but I also wonder what tail makers are thinking taking orders 3 years in advance? That hardly sounds like a manageable system, esp. when you have tail makers like Finfolk who also put out a line of general non-custom tails. It just seems like it'll turn into a much less intimate line of communication between maker and client when they are so busy.

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidAiera View Post
    I don't want to go too far off topic with this, but I also wonder what tail makers are thinking taking orders 3 years in advance? That hardly sounds like a manageable system, esp. when you have tail makers like Finfolk who also put out a line of general non-custom tails. It just seems like it'll turn into a much less intimate line of communication between maker and client when they are so busy.
    No clue? In the art world, artists have a manageable slot system where they accept a certain number of commissions that they can manage. Seems like a lack of planning.

I have a number of friends who have ordered from each of the big name tail makers (Merbella, Finfolk, Mertailor, Mernaiton) and I got to hear the tales from the ordering and waiting process. From witnessing it first hand, the absolute BEST customer service, response time and communication I saw came from Mernation. She busted that fin out in like a month. I was blown away. This was the summer of 2015 so I don't know if production times have changed at all. The response time really left a lasting impression on me since I was not personally used to that kind of immediate communication. The Mernaiton fin was also obviously beautifully crafted and not rushed by any means. Oh, and this was a fin for my close friend, not me .

Add Scottish Clara on Facebook
    I speak to my customers very few days on Facebook as that's where I do.ky business. I am a small tail maker and it's vital for me to keep.in regular contact with m customers as things may change from my end of their end, designs may change slightly or colours. And my customers love the regular updates I do on any small or large thing of their tails. It gives them an insight as to what they will expect and how far the tail has come along. But some big companies can't afford to do this with every customer so do sporadic updates say every few weeks or monthly.

Sent from my SM-G928F using MerNetwork mobile app

Add Scottish Clara on Facebook
    *every few days sorry

Sent from my SM-G928F using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by KatieScottArt View Post
    I have a number of friends who have ordered from each of the big name tail makers (Merbella, Finfolk, Mertailor, Mernaiton) and I got to hear the tales from the ordering and waiting process. From witnessing it first hand, the absolute BEST customer service, response time and communication I saw came from Mernation. She busted that fin out in like a month. I was blown away. This was the summer of 2015 so I don't know if production times have changed at all. The response time really left a lasting impression on me since I was not personally used to that kind of immediate communication. The Mernaiton fin was also obviously beautifully crafted and not rushed by any means. Oh, and this was a fin for my close friend, not me .
    That is good to know. I have a custom Merbellas and a Mythic and I think communication was better with Raven (Merbellas). She always responded even if it was days/week later. Where I didn't always get a response from Finfolk.

I think Finfolk's work is incredible (albeit getting redundant in fluke/fin design with the amount of tails they're putting out) but I think they take so many orders it must be hell to try to get a hold of them/have that awesome tail maker-client relationship. I like the idea of having access to a tail maker on a regular basis as an open line of communication can really help your dream tail come to life. I think Merbellas work is wonderful too, but that wait time just kills me inside. Glad to hear they're better at communicating though. I feel like no communication in the production of something like this is unacceptable

Senior Member Pod of the Midwest mermaid mazu's Avatar
    I work with my customers on design for sometimes days before we nail down exactly perfect for them. When an order is placed I tell them if there are any orders ahead of them. I let them know as soon as the materials arrive and I send them pictures of every step in the process. Some of my customers keep it at that level, others have become like friends that I still chat with

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid mazu View Post
    I work with my customers on design for sometimes days before we nail down exactly perfect for them. When an order is placed I tell them if there are any orders ahead of them. I let them know as soon as the materials arrive and I send them pictures of every step in the process. Some of my customers keep it at that level, others have become like friends that I still chat with
    You and Scottish Clara sound like absolute dreams to work with <3.
    (Sorry, I know this has nothing to do with the original question )

Quote Originally Posted by mermaid mazu View Post
    That's so cool! <3 I have been really wanting to buy a tail from you in the future.

I feel like there's not enough advertising for small business mermaid tail makers. The buying/creation experience must be far superior to getting one from big names bc of the intimacy involved. I feel it is so so important to have a connection with your tail maker. You need to know a little about a person before creating something as personal as a tail, and I think individual tail makers do that best because they're not busy handling hundreds of orders. I feel like weekly/biweekly communication on the tail making process should be the standard. Does this sound reasonable?

I talk to my customers more often than that lol

See I figure as an artist there are times when you'll run into designing/making part of a tail and will be unsure of exactly what the customer wants, and so you'd need to contact them. Or when you give an update, they have a new idea to add or suggest some changes to the design. That's why I imagine more contact than once every/every other week, but I wanted to set the expectations low in trying to feel things out.

I spend lots of time in design phase with customers so that there are no changes once production starts. Some changes may be possible but that's not a gauruntee.

I guess that makes sense. I'm hoping whatever tail maker I go with works with me really closely so there's no miscommunication!

Quote Originally Posted by KatieScottArt View Post
    Mernation was hands down best for communication for me. At one point I had 3 silicone tails in commission all from different makers, and had to consistently pester two of the three for updates. I ordered the first two tails in March, and my mernation tail August 4th. My mernation tail was finished with gorgeous quality, and to me (with daily photo updates) by August 27th. With the other tails (by different companies) one tail that is still being built has communication when I ask for it, usually within a day or two. My other tail that I pry and pry for updates on, I haven't had consistant contact since ordering.. after 4 months in production I got nervous so I messaged and got the reply "I'll have photo updates for you soon!" It's been two months since and still no word..
    Some tail makers are HANDS DOWN better at comm and turnaround times than others.

Sent from my SM-G930V using MerNetwork mobile app