Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slim's idea for Mermania's replacement

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar

Slim's idea for Mermania's replacement

Sorry for any bad grammar ahead of time. I'm trying to type all of this before I forget any details.

Major problem: Very possible Mermania is not going to happen for 2018 and no one plan has went beyond talking stage.

Why is a problem
    ? Everyone want to be a part of something big. A lot of us work hard to build ourselves and even brand ourselves. Some invited in new expensive tails. Some finally got their FinFolk and Merbellas tails and want to show them to the world. I personally want to rise in the community that I can handle anything straight from being a mertender, photographer, and even planner as that how I measure my success through the numbers of lives I make better. We got stories and we were hoping Mermania was where we can share interest and swim with a lot of other mers, merfolks.

What can YOU do? We need to take a whole new different approach. We got different skills and not all of us has money. As the Doctor on Doctor Who once said, he never seen anyone who wasn't important as everybody important. This is also very true in this case. We all should state our region and our strongest skills. We may have one of the unique convention network if we work together.

How: We all live in different regions and countries. We all different access to places and resources. My plan is at least 10 mer gathering to happen on the same day/weekend and using the power of the internet. We are in the social age so let's taken advantage of that and use what around us as not all of us can travel too far and people may be left out. Plus using the internet to connect each gathering allows us to use YouTube live features to bring awareness of the community to the world and each other gathering.

Details: No matter where you are in the world, there is always a hotel with a pool and meeting room. Every single hotel that has those has internet to enable live streaming in their meeting room. All it takes a chromecast, TV, and a camera/cell to live stream unto YouTube. We can feed into other mergathering on the same day with tutorial or a tail maker session on one gathering to the other so everyone benefits from a bigger convention resources even though we are a network of gatherings. No one misses courses unless they choose to. It's a can't lose situation. There was a recent gathering near here called Sandy Fins where that host had a couple classes on making jewelry and such. If someone else is having a gathering on that day, having that live stream to other gatherings will raise awareness to that Mermaid and her sponsorship will get national attention to other gathering as a place without having to put funds for travelling. Yes the host to that event hates me but she currently has the most recent experience to a gathering at the moment here in Florida. That can be an example of one of many gatherings use to network if she interested. Basically everyone focus on their pod to get a big gathering for their region and lets trade resources. The local YMCA here allows mermaids tails so it's a matter of all of us using what near us

Dates: The weekend July 28 or 29 is recommended but it's all up to the gathering to decide on what the most accessible days. I'm randomly picking that day as it's before back to school shopping and the one of the least eventful weekend in the year. I can add multiple dates on year if needed

Locations and Host: As people holds their own gatherings/conventions, I'll put their location and the host to that here. Hopefully this idea works and there will be a spot for everyone to go to that near them.

Suggestions
    : I can place people top suggestion and recommendation here to help with the networking. Like I said earlier, this is an idea and I don't even know it'll work but it's worth a try and we got almost a year to pull something off. I rather see something vs nothing at all.
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I think people need to start adjusting expectations. Fandoms have more than 1 con. Mermania doesnt have to be the ONLY con and just because it is on hiatus (and I say Hiatus not cancelled because some people are trying to pitch to Dan to buy it from him) doesnt mean no one else isn't welcome to do their own thing. There was mercon, merpalooza, merfest, then mermania. All run by different groups of people. I personally feel like people seem to expect that whoever ran one is now responsible for all. It's frustrating.

I would love to help out with this in any way I can. I'm from Richmond, Virginia but I go to an art school down in Savannah, Georgia for most of the year. I was really looking forward to potentially going to Mermaina this year since I finally made a tail. I've lived so close to the pool and have even had a couple of swim meets there, I was really excited. I'm currently in school for Animation but I have to use just about every Adobe program with my major. Whether it's building a website from scratch, using Photoshop, or editing and compositing videos with After Effects and Premiere. When it comes to digital arts, I can do just about anything. I don't think I'd have much to offer on the business side of things, but I have a lot to offer on the arts and creative side of things. I'd be willing to help out with anything artsy (like logos and branding) or technical (like animating something or putting together some fun videos). I've also been doing sport and underwater photography for the last couple of years so I could help out with that too if needed.
    Mermaid Sagittaria
    Savannah, GA | Richmond, VA
    Competitive Swimmer since 2005 | Aspiring Animator
    9 Time National Champion Swimmer | 11 Time All-American Swimmer
    Art Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/abigail_richey/
    Mermaid Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tybee_mermaid/

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I think people need to start adjusting expectations. Fandoms have more than 1 con. Mermania doesnt have to be the ONLY con and just because it is on hiatus (and I say Hiatus not cancelled because some people are trying to pitch to Dan to buy it from him) doesnt mean no one else isn't welcome to do their own thing. There was mercon, merpalooza, merfest, then mermania. All run by different groups of people. I personally feel like people seem to expect that whoever ran one is now responsible for all. It's frustrating.
    Raina, I don't think Slim is saying there can't be more then one merfolk convention. He did say ''MerMania replacement'', but I'm not sure you understand his point.. This idea he has is a different convention. It is a new expectation. It is run by new people.

I'm not sure why you felt the need to express this here.

I'm not trying to rag on you or start drama, either. Dx

I hate to say but I feel Raina missed the point. I realistically realize there will not be an another convention as big as Mermania. I do see that if a bunch of smaller gatherings in their area can be networked together to give the knowledge and experience gained of a bigger convention. A business comparison is like how the Woolworth brand operates Footlocker and Things Remember stores branches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Survivor of cyberbullies

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    I hate to say but I feel Raina missed the point. I realistically realize there will not be an another convention as big as Mermania. I do see that if a bunch of smaller gatherings in their area can be networked together to give the knowledge and experience gained of a bigger convention. A business comparison is like how the Woolworth brand operates Footlocker and Things Remember stores branches.
    ^^^

MerMania has been dragged through the mud the past couple of days; Raina is just trying to clear the air before it's muddied again. Nothing against your idea, I'm sure.

There's a lot of drama surrounding the complications right now is all.

Twilight darkens, yet there in the shade,
    Lies a glimmering shadow, the wild mermaid;

As night draws ever closer, there's a choice to be made--
    Will you stay as you are, or be delivered to the waves?

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Whisper View Post
    MerMania has been dragged through the mud the past couple of days; Raina is just trying to clear the air before it's muddied again. Nothing against your idea, I'm sure.
    I understand that, I was just trying to point out that her comment was somewhat unnecessary. It's not that I have something against Raina either. I'm a big fan of her's. ^-^

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Whisper View Post

That what actually inspired my idea. To help take attention so people aren’t bugging her for something that’s no longer her control. And to help restore teamwork within the Mermaid community.

Survivor of cyberbullies

Senior Member Pod of Cali Prince Calypso's Avatar
    a mermaid convention near or around California would be nice and I'm sure it's possible ( though plausibility is the problem, not possibility) I'm not sure of everything that goes into planning a convention like this but I'm willing to talk to other mermaids in the California pod and see what can be done
    It would be nice to have a widespread network of conventions across the country that way if someone couldn't make it to one due to money or inability to travel on distance or whatever there could be one closer or just a state over.
    Little Sailor, Little fool, your better heed the golden rule
    do unto other just as you, would like to to have them do to you
    you think you can just walk away,but no, it doesn't work that way
    see once your mine, your'll always be
    I never give anything for free...

I think in a way that it would be its own kind of event, opposed to a convention.

If you think about it, the concept actually rips away the ''oneness'' of a convention, downsizing it to a mere meet. While its not exactly a bad idea (if you could even pull it off), I wouldn't advertise it as a convention, or anything close to a ''MerMania replacement'' (unfortunate name for your thread).

The tail makers and other special guests would have to decide which place they are going to, and what if no one there buys anything, but a different group wanted to? That detail takes away from the ''convention'' feeling. It would be difficult to get vendors.

It also forces merfolk to pick and choose which merfriends to visit. Not everyone would be at one place, and bonds are split.

So, while I'm not trying to put down your idea, I think the expectations would not be met.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kane View Post
    I think in a way that it would be its own kind of event, opposed to a convention.

If you think about it, the concept actually rips away the ''oneness'' of a convention, downsizing it to a mere meet. While its not exactly a bad idea (if you could even pull it off), I wouldn't advertise it as a convention, or anything close to a ''MerMania replacement'' (unfortunate name for your thread).

The tail makers and other special guests would have to decide which place they are going to, and what if no one there buys anything, but a different group wanted to? That detail takes away from the ''convention'' feeling. It would be difficult to get vendors.

It also forces merfolk to pick and choose which merfriends to visit. Not everyone would be at one place, and bonds are split.

So, while I'm not trying to put down your idea, I think the expectations would not be met.
    You make a really good point. I understand that the original idea was for everyone to swim at the same time, but I don't know how effective that would be now that we have that flaw. Maybe a good solution would be to space out the con on different weekends so if vendors want to go to more than one, they could travel. Maybe there could be a pass they could purchase that would be good for all the cons and not just one.

It makes me think about this swim meet series I went to called The Arena Pro Swim Series. It's basically one giant swim meet but it's spaced out in different locations and dates all over the US. There's 5 different locations for the meet in total. It starts off in Austin, Texas and goes on for 4 days before it moves to Indianapolis, Indiana and repeats the same schedule it had in Austin. It continues to travel to other locations but it's still the "same" swim meet with the same vendors and the same merchandise.

I know a lot of Olympians and members of the USA Swimming National Team travel to all 5 locations and race but not everyone travels. It's a really nice meet for serious swimmers who want to compete in a good meet and race some top-tier swimmers but don't have the money to travel across the country to race them.

This meet has been happening annually for a while now and always does really well. I think if we leaned more towards a schedule like this, the new convention might actually work.
    Mermaid Sagittaria
    Savannah, GA | Richmond, VA
    Competitive Swimmer since 2005 | Aspiring Animator
    9 Time National Champion Swimmer | 11 Time All-American Swimmer
    Art Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/abigail_richey/
    Mermaid Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tybee_mermaid/

Quote Originally Posted by TybeeMermaid View Post
    You make a really good point. I understand that the original idea was for everyone to swim at the same time, but I don't know how effective that would be now that we have that flaw. Maybe a good solution would be to space out the con on different weekends so if vendors want to go to more than one, they could travel. Maybe there could be a pass they could purchase that would be good for all the cons and not just one.

It makes me think about this swim meet series I went to called The Arena Pro Swim Series. It's basically one giant swim meet but it's spaced out in different locations and dates all over the US. There's 5 different locations for the meet in total. It starts off in Austin, Texas and goes on for 4 days before it moves to Indianapolis, Indiana and repeats the same schedule it had in Austin. It continues to travel to other locations but it's still the "same" swim meet with the same vendors and the same merchandise.

I know a lot of Olympians and members of the USA Swimming National Team travel to all 5 locations and race but not everyone travels. It's a really nice meet for serious swimmers who want to compete in a good meet and race some top-tier swimmers but don't have the money to travel across the country to race them.

This meet has been happening annually for a while now and always does really well. I think if we leaned more towards a schedule like this, the new convention might actually work.
    I think this is a better idea. It would vendors and solo mermaids a chance to visit different people and audiences. Although the vendors would need to be paid or they probably won't come. Travel is very very expensive.

I didn't miss the point, lol. I just added that because unless I do, those things get confused and brought up in every single thread about Mermania. there's a lot of people who simply don't understand that it's not some established thing but rather people who just come together

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Calypso View Post
    a mermaid convention near or around California would be nice and I'm sure it's possible ( though plausibility is the problem, not possibility) I'm not sure of everything that goes into planning a convention like this but I'm willing to talk to other mermaids in the California pod and see what can be done
    It would be nice to have a widespread network of conventions across the country that way if someone couldn't make it to one due to money or inability to travel on distance or whatever there could be one closer or just a state over.
    there is sacramento mermaid weekend

The idea can always change and/or evolve. The having different gathering on different days/time does make a lot more sense.

Survivor of cyberbullies

I would love to see a mermaid convemtion in New York, mostly because I can't afford to travel far! But, I do like this idea, but it can be tweaked to work.

Sent from my SM-G920T using MerNetwork mobile app

I don't know if it's helpful, but in the beginning of June I host a meet up I named the Nautical MerGathering. The idea I had was to use facebook polls to vote on an ideal location and days. I also use the polls to identify potential carpoolers and people who need a ride. It's not a formal event. There are no vendors planned, and there isn't a dance or anything.

What we expect is what we vote on in the group. If we want to bring food, there are grills. If people travel far distance, there are hotels AND camping. The springs usually have a large swimming area, but the location can vary. The reason the location varies is to create new opportunities for Merrill around Florida.

The number of people can vary a lot. I got the idea from meet ups at Alexander Springs every year. It's one weekend planned a year an advance to give people time to make plans.

The meet up is extremely informal, but it is an excellent time to swim together in nature if the weather cooperates.

The past couple times, I had a lot of fun. Another one is coming next year. I'm debating on weather or not I should replace my pirate flotation device.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by DancingJohari View Post
    I would love to see a mermaid convemtion in New York, mostly because I can't afford to travel far! But, I do like this idea, but it can be tweaked to work.

Sent from my SM-G920T using MerNetwork mobile app
    I believe Mermaid Lanai is working on that you should get in touch with her!

Once I get some extra time, I'll be updating the location section of the post with people estimate dates with their location mention in this thread. I'll try my best to keep the original post organize as this evolves.

Survivor of cyberbullies