Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mertailor's new monofin?

Mertailor's new monofin?

As someone who lurks on a few tailmaking sites to see if they have cool stuff, I noticed that the mertailor has made a silicone monofin called the Fantasea fin that is similar to the Luna but with a different fluke shape and closer foot pockets.
    Last edited by Siren_Eclipse; 10-10-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    It looks very trimmed down, only the fluke tips and foot pockets remaining. Doesn't look like it would do for lap swimming or doing zoomies.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Senior Member Pod of Oceania The Water Phoenix's Avatar
    I saw a video of it in action on Facebook. It hardly looks like it has any propulsion.
    Be the pilot of your dreams

**The Water Phoenix: A Western Australian mer**

Instagram: thephoenixmer

I wasn't impressed when I saw the footage on Instagram. It looks like it has zero propulsion. I like the lime green color option. But between the price point and the footage, I wouldn't even consider it. Personally if I'm going to go with a tail shaped monofin, I think I would still go with the Mahina.

the mahina monofin is a bit cheaper as well the mahina for me cost $100 while the fantasea fins are $147

I got to personally test the fantasea fin on the 28th of October 2017 and the propulsion was AMAZING. I too doubted the propulsion until I got the opportunity to test out the fin and tailskin in a nearly 30ft deep spring here in Florida. I was so fast (honestly faster than in my finis wave) in that fin and it felt almost as an extension of my skin it was so natural underwater. On land it weighed right at 7lbs but in water was weightless. I HIGHLY recommended the fantasea fin.

Sent from my SM-G920P using MerNetwork mobile app

Also the fantasea fin is made of 100% full Dragon skin silicone, hence the price and it's quite big in person. Photos and videos don't do justice compared to getting to test it out in person.

Photo from the beginning of the test swim

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Coral View Post
    Also the fantasea fin is made of 100% full Dragon skin silicone, hence the price and it's quite big in person. Photos and videos don't do justice compared to getting to test it out in person.

Yeah it seems like a neat fin, and I like the fact that it's dragon skin. Personally, I think I might buy something a little less floppy than the Fantasea when my Aquairus eveuntally breaks. Or, to quote the mertailor website, I'm looking to be a "speed demond"
    On a side note, is that an offical tailskin for it? Looks pretty neat.

Quote Originally Posted by Siren_Eclipse View Post
    Yeah it seems like a neat fin, and I like the fact that it's dragon skin. Personally, I think I might buy something a little less floppy than the Fantasea when my Aquairus eveuntally breaks. Or, to quote the mertailor website, I'm looking to be a "speed demond"
    On a side note, is that an offical tailskin for it? Looks pretty neat.
    Yes! It is the prototype for the official fantasea tailskin 😃

I can't say I'm a fan of the look that the skin and the monofin create together. I guess I was hoping for a fully-covered fluke or at least a more harmonious transition between the two. BUT, the Fantasea monofin itself looks really cool and I love how flow-y it is. It's probably out of my personal price range, though, sadly. :/

-The Michigan Merrow-
    - lady of the lake -

So I like the shape of it and the color choices but I wish it was a little less floppy. In the video and in pictures the edges curl inward. I'm thinking maybe if it had stiffer ridges? I have a Mahina and I like how floppy yet stiff that monofin is, but the footpockets are a nightmare. I'm guessing this monofin is probably more comfortable.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Member Chesapeake Pod
    Add Mermaid hannahML on Facebook
    Hay did you (Alea) find any thing that made the mahina mono fin work better, it was my first mono fin I had ever bought ....it was supposed to fit a U.S. 10.5-12 and I'm a 10-10.5 and it is really tight on the tops of my feet .
    ​hannah lover

Hi Mermaid Hannah! In a topic called "Footpockets & Comfort" I posted info and photos about how I altered my Mahina (post #23): https://mernetwork.com/index/showthr...-Comfort/page2

I am around a 9-10 in US womens size and I find that the Mahina is tight on the tops of my feet and it gives me blisters under my ankle. I trimmed the straps a little bit as well as the top of the monofin to help with this. My Mahina doesn't hurt as much to wear but I still need to wear socks with it. I bought neoprene foot booties for it, but those are too thick causing my feet to hurt since it takes up all the room in the pockets.

Everything about the Mahina is perfect except how uncomfortable it is for my feet. It makes me nervous to wear it because I can't really tell that I am getting a blister until I get out of the water then realize my feet have blisters and then it takes a while for them to heal.

If you find some other way to alter the monofin that makes it work for you let us know. This has been a common problem with this particular monofin and some people just order a size larger than they need to avoid the tightness. I'm wishing that I had ordered a size up...

____

To get back on topic - has anyone here bought Mertailor's new monofin? I want to see more swim videos of it in action!
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Alea View Post
    Hi Mermaid Hannah! In a topic called "Footpockets & Comfort" I posted info and photos about how I altered my Mahina (post #23): https://mernetwork.com/index/showthr...-Comfort/page2

I am around a 9-10 in US womens size and I find that the Mahina is tight on the tops of my feet and it gives me blisters under my ankle. I trimmed the straps a little bit as well as the top of the monofin to help with this. My Mahina doesn't hurt as much to wear but I still need to wear socks with it. I bought neoprene foot booties for it, but those are too thick causing my feet to hurt since it takes up all the room in the pockets.

Everything about the Mahina is perfect except how uncomfortable it is for my feet. It makes me nervous to wear it because I can't really tell that I am getting a blister until I get out of the water then realize my feet have blisters and then it takes a while for them to heal.

If you find some other way to alter the monofin that makes it work for you let us know. This has been a common problem with this particular monofin and some people just order a size larger than they need to avoid the tightness. I'm wishing that I had ordered a size up...

____

To get back on topic - has anyone here bought Mertailor's new monofin? I want to see more swim videos of it in action!
    I haven't seen anyone with them recently though they look nice, I tried to look some up on YouTube for you and found non. They do seem a bit floppy though.... The more hard the material of the mono-fin and larger it is the more propulsion you will get in the water, and you'll be able to swim in lake and oceans and such.

But it does give a visual appeal! I hope you find someone who has video using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last week, I visited the home of Mertailor along with Raina Mer to test some of Mertailor's new products. The Fantasea and the Lyra monofins were two of the products we tried. I have never worn such comfortable monofins. The silicone is so soft and supple in both and they are extremely comfortable to wear. I too worried about propulsion but I found that both pushed through the water really well! The Fantasea is an excellent monofin for beginners as well as practiced mermaid who just want to swim with a monofin without the hassle of slipping on the whole tail. Here I am pictured wearing the Fantasea, Raina is wearing the Lyra. Name:  fantasea.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  557.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Venessa Louisiana Mermaid View Post
    Last week, I visited the home of Mertailor along with Raina Mer to test some of Mertailor's new products. The Fantasea and the Lyra monofins were two of the products we tried. I have never worn such comfortable monofins. The silicone is so soft and supple in both and they are extremely comfortable to wear. I too worried about propulsion but I found that both pushed through the water really well! The Fantasea is an excellent monofin for beginners as well as practiced mermaid who just want to swim with a monofin without the hassle of slipping on the whole tail. Here I am pictured wearing the Fantasea, Raina is wearing the Lyra. Name:  fantasea.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  557.1 KB
    Wow wonderful review thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Member Chesapeake Pod
    Add Mermaid hannahML on Facebook
    The monofin a look soo cool I'm happy to hear that they are comfy AND good propulsion
    ​hannah lover

I guess I didn't realize there were two types! I like the Lyra. How would you compare this monofin to a mahina? I'm sure it is more comfortable for one.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    Tropical Plants

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Alea View Post
    I guess I didn't realize there were two types! I like the Lyra. How would you compare this monofin to a mahina? I'm sure it is more comfortable for one.
    There isn't 2 types only the Fantasea one the Lyra is just the fluke of a spellbound without the scale body attached.