Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a silicone tail for my Lunocet

Senior Member Pod of the Midwest mermaid mazu's Avatar
    Hi I will start by saying I have no previous knowledge at all on what you are working with lol but i saw my name got put in there (ty by the way) working with a hybrid you could theoretically leave the bottom unsealed with a zipper (or probably much easier) Velcro or snaps just like you would a fabric tail. I work with tin cured silicone not dragon skin so I don't use molds. If you would be interested in a tin cured hybrid I would be willing to discuss what I could do or since you sound pretty crafty, I'd be willing to help you if you wanted to attempt it yourself.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    Thanks Mazu. I had not contacted you because Mertailor has given me a "maybe". They are busy, and will get back to me soon, after they have has a chance to discuss the job. I think it's a little unfair to use up a tail-maker's time having them figure out if they can do this job, then tell them "I went with someone else". If Mertailor falls through I will contact you.

Silicone on Neoprene with snaps closing the rear sounds like a good option. If I go that way, I would want you to do it, not help me do it. Reason: I'm not an artist, and I want a good looking tail.
    Out of curiosity, how thick neoprene do you use? is there a buoyancy issue?
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Senior Member Pod of the Midwest mermaid mazu's Avatar
    Oh that's perfectly understandable and mertailor is a much better known tail maker with much more experience than me. I'm still fairly new. I use 3mm neoprene scuba knit fabric (no rubber so not true neoprene) my tails are neutrally buoyant in the water

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    The tail Mertailor is offering is a partial silicone tail. It does not cover the flukes. As yours would, there is that advantage. The flukes of the Lunocet need to be kept smooth, with their proper airfoil shape, but it would be nice if it they were something other than plain black rubber.
    Stay tuned.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!