Thread: Tips and Tricks for better Communication

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod

Tips and Tricks for better Communication

My latest social blunder gave me an idea for a thread. I have this head strong personality that often puts me in a situation in which I leap before I think.

Anyways, I'm trying to get better at doing this.

For instance, I'm trying to not clutter threads with spammy replies.

I'm trying to tone down my responses to things. My strong feelings about things are a blessing and a curse.

I also learned that there is a way to unfollow threads via the mernetwork app. I think it will be really helpful when it comes to walking away.

If a thread like this already exists, please add this to it.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    Okay, I'll add my issues I guess. xD

Sometimes, I'm way more hostile sounding then I need to be. I have trouble toning it down.

I'm also a big introvert, and I find it tough in real life social situations to fit in and make connections.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kane View Post
    Okay, I'll add my issues I guess. xD

Sometimes, I'm way more hostile sounding then I need to be. I have trouble toning it down.

I'm also a big introvert, and I find it tough in real life social situations to fit in and make connections.
    I think it's easy to come across as hostile even if it's something you aren't trying to be.

In the spirit of sharing information to help us communicate better. I will try to explain what I think people do not understand about bipolar and communication struggles that come from the disorder.

1. Even though we all experience strong emotions. Most of what someone feels when it comes to bipolar is not a choice and simply can't just be turned off. Sometimes, I can't disengage on my own because the emotions I feel are so strong that I have to wind down from my emotional hype to break away from the conversation. The way apps notify me of responses is the primary reason why I have trouble walking away. The best way for me to not make a fool of myself is to turn off notifications. It is helpful, but not reliable because I can't expect it, for people to either not respond or if they do respond to be mindful of the intense emotions I am enduring. I have NO expectations for people to be mindful of what I endure. I do appreciate people who take the time to be mindful.

2.Walking away from social media is not an acceptable answer. Isolating myself while I struggle can be very destructive to my well being. A former admin of the Pod of the South made a colossal mistake blocking me from the group during a time I was struggling. Because emotions I have easily override reason, exclusion from a group or discontinuing social activity while I struggle magnifies the problem. In fact, the odds are much better that such an action will inflame the situation. When I'm going through a mood swing, my own emotions and the emotions of those around me feed my mood swing. If I'm alone in a bad mental state I am guaranteed to feed my own poor state of mind if I can't snap myself out of it. Snapping myself out by myself drains me physically and mentally. It isn't an easy thing to do. I NEVER expect people to do anything for me, but the people that surround me have the ability to defuse a situation without any significant problems.This is because my emotions can be redirected. In fact, one of my coping methods is exposing myself to external emotions that defuse the negative.

3. Meds can't be a solution by themselves. Meds help, but just because I take meds does not mean I won't ever struggle.

4. Everyone with bipolar have strong emotions. Usually, there is something unique to an individual that invokes strong responses. Understanding the background behind the behavior is key to responding the right way. Someone with Bipolar is not obligated to explain the history behind their emotions. Some might not even know why they feel the way they do. In my experience living with disorder, there is often a mix of personal experiences clashing with something external that triggers the bipolar response.

5. While I do not ever expect people to do right by me, my level of control is something I learned because people were mindful of my struggle and the moral support of my pets. My emotional state may be off balanced because my cat that helped to ground me passed away recently. Going back to a previous point. If I stop social activity online.The emotions surrounding Rocky's passing would just feed itself and put me through a living hell.

I think I just need a distraction from my emotions I have not found yet.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Merman Dylan Zalrian View Post

I think I just need a distraction from my emotions I have not found yet.
    Gaming. That's my best suggestion.

It may sound dismal, but they are perfect medicine for depression/cooling off/passing time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kane View Post
    Gaming. That's my best suggestion.

It may sound dismal, but they are perfect medicine for depression/cooling off/passing time.
    I'm thinking about planning another trip to the springs. I have homework that restricts what I have time for.

A tip for better communication that, especially customers should remember, customer service is an important part of businesses. However, customer service should not be expected at the cost of the human beings that provide it.

For example, some businesses were unable to open because of a lack of power and safe working conditions. This is also important for the tailmakers in Florida. Areas of the state did not have power for as long as a week. When we expect customer service, we should remember the limitations the humans who provide customer service face.

As an employee in the customer service industry. Businesses operate according to the customer is always right, but that is not always true.

It has been one of my long held beliefs that our expectations for customer service can lead us to treat people much worse than they deserve. There are things people should not have to do in the name of customer service.

One thing I have had to do that should not be expected of me in customer service is clean trash out of shopping carts. It should be everyone's basic human responsibility to do everything in their power to clean up their own trash.

What I'm trying to say is the idea of customer service can have a nasty way of making us treat other humans badly and makes us less responsible adults.

Customer Service is important, but our expectations should only go so far. It's just a matter of basic human decency to limit your expectations when it comes to customer service.