Thread: These look nice, but this is so sketch

These look nice, but this is so sketch

Hello.

I was poking around the internet, and I stumbled into this.

https://www.bonanza.com/listings/Gir...SABEgI5mfD_BwE

I hope that link works. The tails are cloth, and they look really nice for really cheap o-o but they also look like popular tail designs I've seen online in silicone. Also it appears the seller is in China. I don't know quite what to make of this. What do you all think?

These are fabric tails with weak plastic monofins that use designs from FinFolk. Essentially, cheap knockoffs.

We have several threads about them and a few debates for sure. They’re definitely pretty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Twilight darkens, yet there in the shade,
    Lies a glimmering shadow, the wild mermaid;

As night draws ever closer, there's a choice to be made--
    Will you stay as you are, or be delivered to the waves?

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper

Visit Mermaid_Mari's Youtube Channel
    They’re stealing FinFolks designs it’s really not okay but it’s very hard to get them shut down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@MaritzaMermaid on Instagram

Junior Member Pod of New England MermaidNim's Avatar
    Add MermaidNim on Facebook
    Visit MermaidNim's Youtube Channel
    They are super unsafe and I would not recommend getting one. I've seen a lot reviews of people saying that they can barely swim in them.

Sent from my SM-N920V using MerNetwork mobile app

These knock off tails are also on eBay for around $75USD. They are from China. They are stealing these designs. Before I knew anything about mermaiding or that a mermaid community existed I bought 2 tails ( from eBay and they were cheap junk that I couldn't swim in. Don't waste your money!!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using MerNetwork mobile app

Those companies are very unethical. I have posted before numerous times regarding all those sellers and to not support them. The monofins are made of vinyl and are not for swimming at all. It is actually very dangerous. All of those designs are stolen from Finfolk and possibly other tailmakers. They are someone's silicone tails design that they created and spent thousands for. Just a warming that most mers that have been around for a while do not support theft and if you buy one be prepared to people to voice their opinions and negative feedback on it. Just my thoughts

They Are completely unethical! I know many people who are artists and make their living that way. So for someone to steal their ideas and then sell them as knock-offs at low-ball prices is really a shame. But these things all come from China and the companies that are doing these things don't care about artists anywhere else in the world. So, Of Course the people who buy them (hopefully because they don't know any better) are going to get negative feedback.

But posts like this need to happen so that those who Don't Know can become informed. There are new people coming into the community every day. They can't be penalized for not knowing. Like I stated in my previous post, I bought 2 tails that were $25USD from eBay (not the fin folk rip off, but still, cheap garbage) because I didn't know any better. But when I found the mermaiding community I became informed by asking questions and reading every post I could find. If it wasn't for posts like these I might have fallen victim to these Chinese con artists. I was able to purchase my monofin and Eco skin from Mertailor for $80USD on sale and I know it's legitimate and much better quality than any crap I found on eBay. And it's Safe To Swim In!! Okay.. I'll get off my soapbox now

Sent from my Moto G (4) using MerNetwork mobile app
    Last edited by WickedlyGoodSeaWitch; 10-17-2017 at 10:25 PM.

Banned
    Follow MermaidAnnabella On Twitter
    Visit MermaidAnnabella's Youtube Channel
    I actually contacted one of the sellers on ebay and posted my conversation in the FinFolk Pod Squad Facebook group. I essentially told them that while their designs are pretty, the colors don't quite fit my style, and asked if they would do a new or a custom design for me. I also asked them if they are their own designs. This was to see how they'd react/respond to a potential customer vs someone trying to shut them down. They flat out ignored and avoided by question about the tails being their own designs, and also encouraged me to send them pictures of other tails so they could make a tail based off of that specific, not inspired by, design. While these are FinFolk knock offs, they have no problem replicating Mernation, Merbella, anyone.

If you want a tail like this, hold out for FinFolk's new fabric tail line. The tails are stunning, and will definitely be safe and good quality. I'd personally rather have an authentic product that takes responsibility for any issues vs a knock off that is dangerous to swim in and takes all your money.