Thread: Archive: "Any Tips for Mermen?" and others

Archive: "Any Tips for Mermen?" and others

Darrien

01/05/11 19:06:30
    So I've been obsessed with having a tail for a while but jut the other night i started to think how do i accessorize?? i want something that would be plausible like that as a merman i could have done under water but also masculine... its so hard to accessorize when you are a man. any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. accessories

Capt Nemo #1

01/05/11 19:51:33
    Crowns, arm/wrist bands, armor(?), vests, knives/tridents.

It would be advisable for all merfolk to wear a knife when swimming outside of a pool. Fishline is nearly invisable underwater, and needs to be cut rather than snapped. It can cut your skin before you can pull all but the weakest apart. It's a safety item most merfolk don't think about.

Winged Mermaid #2

01/06/11 00:13:39
    I think a sash or vest made of netting would look very masculine. Arm bracers, arm bands, hemp jewelry (even chokers) would all look great! Also I've seen Raven's octopi modeled by a male- I think they look great on males and females. In other words- don't be afraid to wear a necklace. For guys my suggestion would be to keep it simple. Even if you have a more ornate charm then make the chain/cord simple. You could even make a simple netting necklace or choker.

Be creative with it! Use netting, fake sea flora, shells, ect.

Darrien #3

01/06/11 06:41:41
    those are really good ideas guys. a knife is a mus when u dive in the ocean its true and a sash i think might look pretty cool with some arm bands. do y'all recommend a specific type of netting?

Winged Mermaid #4

01/06/11 12:59:13
    In this topic you can see where people talked about getting various netting. Any of those should do just fine

MermaidRaven #5

01/10/11 13:06:15

Im gonna think on this and get back to you, Ive been meaning to work on some merman stuff.

Jewel de Lune #6

01/10/11 20:43:07
    I'm thinking like armbands...

Andrew #7

01/12/11 22:09:02
    Heres a pic of my Merman necklace dunno if its for every merman but I like the look on me.

CydAdeTol #8

02/08/11 22:52:43
    I have just learned to make these cool bracelets and my mermaid friend asked me to make a necklace with a shark tooth on it. I think it would be a great idea for you mer-guys out there! I ordered the teeth today, so when they get here I will be able to get started. They also come in up to three different colors and have a HUGE selection of the colors. So if any of you wanted to see one or order one I can do that for you! Arm bands, wrist bands, necklaces?

http://www.ipdsny.com/images/aaabbb_039.jpg
    Those are the types I am making. I did not make those particular ones. They are called survival bracelets and are EXTREMELY durable.

Also ladies, if you just want a little mermaid reminder on your neck or wrist, I am making some necklaces and bracelets with cut shells, and some without pendants.

SeaSparkles #9

02/09/11 06:36:43
    [message removed]

CydAdeTol #10

02/10/11 23:52:55

So, I recieved my shark teeth in the mail today and made a necklace! Here is the final result. I think it turned out okay. The person it is for has a thicker neck than my brother so it will fit better on them.
    The teeth are real but are smooth, there are no jagged edges on them. I have red, orange, yellow, lime, blue (shown), purple (shown), hot pink, white, black, and tan cord and there are tons more colors at the store.

"SeaSparkles" "Spindrift" "Enakai" "Cuddlefish" "Confused"
    Professionally performing as Enakai Fairyfish

Enakai Fairyfish: FB | IG

Winged Mermaid #11

02/13/11 00:28:58

That looks really cool! I think these would be really great for those who like something more simple, or (for males) masculine. Great idea CydAdeTol!

MermaidKeela #12

02/17/11 20:59:02
    I made a merman necklace its posted in the accessories forum

MermaidPandorah #13

07/16/11 13:28:07
    I was thinking of those tops in the Avatar movie that the male...blue people had. They were sort of underbust corsets made out of textures and colours found in their world. Then they had their weapon belted across their chest. For the uber skilled out there, it could be done in latex...

Or painted lycra or some other fabric. Try the pirate/renfest costumes at the fabric store for a corset.

MermanJesse Posiedon's Vest

05/11/10 19:22:17
    http://www.aceshowbiz.com...till/percy_jackson25.jpg

Just seen Percy Jackson tonight. I thought this vest is very awesome. Not to mention very SEXY on this man!

Winged Mermaid #1

05/13/10 09:44:18
    That is sexy!

You know the cosplay and roll playing communities are masters at making different kinds of armor. Some of them guard the secrets like trade secrets, others make tutorials. I've seen Zelda, WoW, and Starwars (stormtroopers mostly) armor all around those communities. If you did a bit of research I'm sure you could find a way to recreate this vest. Just a suggestion for anyone interested

What about pirate remnants a merman would find in a sunken ship? A swash here, a cravat there, a torn shirt in another place. Just a thought...

Mmmm Sexy pirate merman! Well mermaid can pull off the pirate look with a great deal of success and realism so it stands to reason that men would be able to as well.

I love this thread! I too was trying to come up with ideas other than the standard seashell necklace and bare chest. I really needed to hear the bit about carrying a knife(plus I think it would look really cool), and I can't wait to try out some new ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Merman_Shawn View Post
    I love this thread! I too was trying to come up with ideas other than the standard seashell necklace and bare chest. I really needed to hear the bit about carrying a knife(plus I think it would look really cool), and I can't wait to try out some new ideas.
    Knife is a great idea, essential underwater, and would look ... dangerous!

I actually really dig the look Poseidon had in the movie Immortals:
    Name:  poseidon.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  222.9 KB
    What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Merman_Shawn; 07-17-2012 at 02:47 PM.

It is a cool look, though I am not sure how I feel about that headdress in particular. I do have to watch Immortals. I was also thinking something like octopus shoulder pads or a short (lower-back-length, maybe) cape made to look like seaweed or netting.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy&RaptorsUnrestrained! View Post
    It is a cool look, though I am not sure how I feel about that headdress in particular. I do have to watch Immortals. I was also thinking something like octopus shoulder pads or a short (lower-back-length, maybe) cape made to look like seaweed or netting.
    Yeah I'm kind of in love with the headdress, but I should clarify. It's like a circular train of thought. It's so hideous that I love it, and I love that it's hideous. Although "hideous" might be too strong a word. I actually love that it's a contemporary take on such an old concept. It's different, and that appeals to social reject in me.

It WOULD be a cool thing to wear, say, while walking down a city street, just to get the looks, I agree

CONCEPTUAL! That was word I was looking for. It's just so outside the box.

I like the idea of a cape as well, and maybe a shredded mid-drift netted shirt. I most certainly like the idea of shoulder pads or epaulets in some sort of nautical design.

I think it should also be noted that one can find pretty nifty steampunk wrist cuffs with portholes and all sorts of nautical elements to them. You just have to look for them.