Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merfolk Theater Thread

Senior Member Pod of New England MermanJamie's Avatar

Merfolk Theater Thread

Ok, so this thread has been a long time coming. So I wanted to talk about how much I love musical theater! I've done a good number of shows at my school over the years. My dream is actually to become a Broadway actor, and I thought I would share with you all some stuff on this thread. If you're interested in Theater at all, or have done any shows, please comment! That would be so awesome!

So here are a few things about this guy's interests in Theater. Be sure to tell me if you like to sing as well, and if you've done any shows, or if you've had any awesome roles!

So first off, for singing, I'm kind of a pretty high Baritone, and because I'm young. I can get up pretty high, but nowhere near as high as a Tenor. So I fall somewhere in the middle, and there are people who can go way higher or lower than me.

Since I've been doing shows since I was about 10, here are some of my roles:
    My first show ever was Cinderella: a Knight (Ensemble)
    Since then, I've done:
    Fiddler On The Roof: The Rabbi
    The Music Man: Eddie Hix (Ensemble)
    Shrek: One of the Three Little Pigs, and the Priest

and most recently, I got my first big role as Leaf Coneybear in the 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee. The show's in a few weeks, and I'm so excited. I've been rehearsing like crazy, and that's why I haven't been around the community as much recently, though I've been trying to pop in every few weeks. So if you're also into Theater, let me know!
    It would be awesome to talk with a fellow mer and a fellow Theater nerd all at once! (If you can't tell, I'm a total nerd/geek about Theater)
    Last edited by MermanJamie; 05-05-2018 at 08:50 PM.

I am not I. Theater because I have no talent for it. But I absolutely adore Andrew Lodi Weber’s cats and phantom of the opera, I also got a really big kick out of the movie center stage witch is a behind the scenes look at a ballet students life.

That's awesome! We all have different hobbies. I'm actually pretty happy I got the part of Leaf, because he's less of a singer and more of a character/comedy actor. My friend who's playing Chip Tolentino is a Tenor, and can hit pretty high notes, so he's better at singing than I am. I'm still straining to hit some of my high notes, but it's been a lot of fun so far!

I was a theater nerd throughout middle & high school and actually president of my drama club senior year. We did not do much musical theater but i went to a camp for that for a few years where we would do selected numbers from different shows (my fave role from that was elphaba from wicked). Mostly i ended up on the tech side of things as our costumer. Which is actually how i got into cosplay and in turn mermaiding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mermaid Mia that's awesome! I love Wicked, and I actually was a stagehand and helped a bit with tech for the first time last year. It really keeps you on your toes, especially my having to run back and forth to move props and setting pieces. I prefer acting, but it was definitely an awesome experience, and I'd love to do something like it again!

My favorite tech moment of insanity was a scene change i had for one play where we had less than a minute to get this girl into a fully button up dress. So we just put it on over her other costume, i had ducttapes the inside of the bottom so it wouldn’t come apart, and i worked buttons from the middle up, she worked the top down, and then she ran back on stage.i also fell into a coffin being a stage hand for Dracula. It certainly is an experience

Hello friendos! They don't call me Nerdmaid for nothing, as I have loved theater since I was a little girl. Whilst I love to act and perform (starred in many church and school productions when I was little) my heart has always lied in theater tech. I joined a stagecraft club in grade nine and eventually found my way into playing in the pit orchestra in grade 11. I still irritate my family and friends to no end by obnoxiously singing the bass lines of any Mary Poppins song. Can't help my musical flashbacks. Anyhow, in grade 12 I took the "Technical Theater" class which was literally me being shoved into directing half of the ensemble for the first half of the year, not getting to do ANY tech. Then when it came time for me to actually learn the things, I was given an assortment of new LED lights, a crap computer and was told to figure it out.
    So I did, and nearly killed myseld in the process but managed to pretty much singlehandedly setup, design, program and operate the entire lightning system for Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.
    I made a video about my suffering too - enjoy! https://youtu.be/PdSjRelF-D4

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

Hello friendos! They don't call me Nerdmaid for nothing, as I have loved theater since I was a little girl. Whilst I love to act and perform (starred in many church and school productions when I was little) my heart has always lied in theater tech. I joined a stagecraft club in grade nine and eventually found my way into playing in the pit orchestra in grade 11. I still irritate my family and friends to no end by obnoxiously singing the bass lines of any Mary Poppins song. Can't help my musical flashbacks. Anyhow, in grade 12 I took the "Technical Theater" class which was literally me being shoved into directing half of the ensemble for the first half of the year, not getting to do ANY tech. Then when it came time for me to actually learn the things, I was given an assortment of new LED lights, a crap computer and was told to figure it out.
    So I did, and nearly killed myseld in the process but managed to pretty much singlehandedly setup, design, program and operate the entire lightning system for Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.
    I made a video about my suffering too - enjoy! https://youtu.be/PdSjRelF-D4

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

Aw, I'm sorry you have had an experience like this. I hope you can find joy in doing tech for another show, or something like that. Like I said before, I tried my hand at it last year, and it was really difficult!

I’ve dreamed of becoming a broadway actress since I became obsessed with Wicked in my tweenhood. I’m currently taking an acting class at a local community college and I love musical theatre. I’ve taken singing lessons since I was in sixth grade.
    I have not been in many school productions because most of my high school experience was sent at a special ed school with less than 150 kids, so it would just be impractical for them to put on school plays. But the few musicals I have performed in were a great experience.

That's awesome! Hope to see you on Broadway one day!

Junior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of the Great Lakes

I've been in two plays at my old school. But I wasn't in the main cast, I always did back ground characters. The plays were Bye Bye Birdy (I played a school girl) and My Son Pinoccio (I played a mom and a diliquent)

Mermaid Avalon

Working Hard to Make the World a Better Place

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    I majored in Theatre Arts in college (but didn't graduate....ran out of money) and I've done a TON of local community theater plays and musicals. I'm taking a break from it right now because one theatre is too far away from me and another is closer but I'm having issues with the artistic director's antics.
    My favorite roles were:
    Snoopy - You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown
    Miss Adelaide - Guys and Dolls
    Sister Mary Amnesia - Nunsense and Nunsense 2

I also act locally for different events and for the Texas renaissance Festival.

I graduated college with a BFA in Theatrical Costuming! I greatly prefer working behind the scenes to being on stage (I can sing, but I'm a terrible actor). I've worked on a number of productions at my college, and also spent a summer season at the local children's theatre (which was pure chaos)

I don't do much theatre work right now (beyond making my own costumes) because my job on my ship keeps me too busy, but I still enjoy theatre.

Triton Mahtlinnie of Puget Sound
    Facebook / Tumblr

Junior Member Pod of The South
    Add Mermaidpandora on Facebook
    I have been in theater for 20 yrs, I am now 24 and am Shakespearean trained ♡. I was helping actors when they called line when I was 3 ^.^

It's so great to hear everyone's experiences! I have to say, I've discovered a few examples of merfolk in Theater since I've been away. I know everyone (including myself) loves Disney's the Little Mermaid, and it was on Broadway for a while featuring the amazing Sierra Boggess as Ariel.

Also, I've done some poking around, and found Theater legend Bette Midler's stage show, Delores de Lago, Toast of Chicago in which she played a mermaid.

So, I'd love to see some more shows about merfolk, but I'm very glad for what we have now. And, there's always room for improvement no matter what!

I know I haven't posted on this thread in a year, and haven't been on the forum since September, but I thought it would be fitting to explain what I've been up to here. This fall I got to play the roles of Old Man Strong and Dr. Billeaux in the amazing show Urinetown! I had a great experience, and I always love school shows, but it took up quite a bit of time. I'd encourage everyone to check out Urinetown, if you're into ironic, edgy satire of politics and Musical Theater clichés.
    And when he opened his mouth, the most beautiful sound came out. A high baritone vibrated throughout the sea, and suddenly all was quiet and harmonious. That is, until the next note.

Quote Originally Posted by MermanJamie View Post
    I know I haven't posted on this thread in a year, and haven't been on the forum since September, but I thought it would be fitting to explain what I've been up to here. This fall I got to play the roles of Old Man Strong and Dr. Billeaux in the amazing show Urinetown! I had a great experience, and I always love school shows, but it took up quite a bit of time. I'd encourage everyone to check out Urinetown, if you're into ironic, edgy satire of politics and Musical Theater clichés.
    Wait... is that a pun? Urinetown, you’re-in-town? I’ve heard of it but I don’t know what it’s about. I’ll check it out!
    Anyway, congratulations! So proud of you. And I’m glad to have you back on the forum! I was wondering where you went.
    Are there a lot of guys in your school’s musical theatre program? There were hardly any in mine, and a lot of the minor male roles in the musical adaptation of Legally Blonde (Dewey, the Harvard admissions guy, the gay-or-European guy...) all had to be played by the same person. But what about yours? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Dragon View Post
    Wait... is that a pun? Urinetown, you’re-in-town? I’ve heard of it but I don’t know what it’s about. I’ll check it out!
    Anyway, congratulations! So proud of you. And I’m glad to have you back on the forum! I was wondering where you went.
    Are there a lot of guys in your school’s musical theatre program? There were hardly any in mine, and a lot of the minor male roles in the musical adaptation of Legally Blonde (Dewey, the Harvard admissions guy, the gay-or-European guy...) all had to be played by the same person. But what about yours? Just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using MerNetwork
    Hey, sorry I haven't been on the thread, but in Urinetown we had a few guys, like 5 or 6 of our cast of around 20 people. Not so so many, but we still got most of the guy's parts to be played by guys, though a few of the smaller ones were played by girls.

Urinetown's a great show, and I'd really encourage everyone to check it out. It's about a future dystopia where there has been a drought, and it has made private toilets unthinkable. All business, so to speak, is done at a public toilet where you must pay to use the bathroom. The entire society is overrun by the corrupt megacorporation Urine Good Company, and if you can't pay the hefty fee, pee in the bushes, or break the law in any other way, you get sent off to a penal colony called Urinetown, which is a constant looming threat. It's quite dark, yet still insanely funny, and I had a great time with it.
    Last edited by MermanJamie; 02-20-2019 at 12:53 AM.
    And when he opened his mouth, the most beautiful sound came out. A high baritone vibrated throughout the sea, and suddenly all was quiet and harmonious. That is, until the next note.

I'm a theater nerd of old, starting with school plays in middle school, getting deep into community theater in high school both on stage and backstage, majoring in Dramatic Art in college. I had a couple years after college when I didn't perform, but then worked with a local community company that only does Gilbert and Sullivan operettas. I did shows with them for 10 years, then shifted gears to performing improv at a local comedy theater, but I haven't been on stage since my son was born almost 3 years ago. I'd like to get on stage again soon, in the next year or two.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app