Thread: Sea world inform me please !!!! ( do not yell )

Sea world inform me please !!!! ( do not yell )

I just turned 25 so my boyfriend took me to sea world San Antonio for my birthday. And when I posted pics to my Facebook it got blown strait to hell !!!! Now I am not inform on sea world and as I write this I am watching the documentary black fish. The documentary so far seams to be centered around one whale tilicum. Now what I saw for the daytime orca show they had at least 5 trainers none of them got in the water or on the platform with the whales. They had them wave their flippers swim around the pool and show their flukes. That was it for the day time show pretty much. The night time show ( shamus rockin creep show ) was more of a performance same trainers and they did not get in the water. But the orcas jumped did flips waved fin splashed and showed their speed. The dolphin and beluga show trainers were in the water. And the dolphins encounters I saw looked really sad and shallow. We spent most of the time ridding roller coasters checking out the shops and eating. I know sea world does do some conservation and rescue work.

so tell me what are the pros and the cons the good bad and ugly. Please don’t yell I am looking to be better informed than I currently am not blasted as my face book was.

Thank you all

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    Thanks for asking. I'm sorry if sometimes when seeking information people have been hostile. I appreciate and respect your efforts to learn more about this subject.

I'm by no means the most knowledgeable about this subject, but the basic idea is that as we've learned more about marine mammals (including orcas), we've found that there's really no humane way to keep them in captivity. In the wild they live in large social groups and travel huge distances. Based on their intelligence, they react to lifelong confinement and boredom the same way humans do- namely they're miserable. Their lifespans in captivity are also much shorter than in the wild. On top of all the signs that it's cruel to keep them in captivity at all, the fact that they are forced to perform tricks makes captivity at Sea World and similar parks even more inhumane, and it really drives home the fact that this isn't a normal zoo that holds itself to the current standards of how animals should treated.

Sent from my MotoG3 using MerNetwork mobile app

I second that. The thing with cetaceans in captivity is that, for one, they are too smart for it. The small, bathtub sized space doesn't provide enough stimulation for them, as they're used to swimming hundreds of miles in the open sea. This tends to cause unnatural behaviors, such as siting at the surface for long periods of time. It also leads to aggression. They can't get away from what is upsetting them in such a small space, so they have to take it out on their tankmates or trainers. Captivity also brings a lot of health issues. Pneumonia, teeth filing, etc, which can lead to premature death. Sea world also breeds (though not anymore!), and often separates calves from mothers too early. This can lead to stunted development, which brings us back to the beginning. Unfortunately, many of the whales can't be released to the wild, as they don't have the proper life skills.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    Cetaceans are extremely complex animals. Scientists have declared them to be ''conscious'' like we are. They have amazing social lives, and are self-aware of their own bodies---mind you, that's rare for most animals. That being said, people now are sure that cetaceans are smart enough to feel negative emotions, and know they are in a place they shouldn't be. It would be like aliens that are curious, trapping humans for pleasure, and making us to tricks. In the alien's eyes, its all fine and dandy. To us? You get a SyFy movie.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I personally choose to not support seaworld or any marine mammal captivity that isn't necessary for survival. I do understand that there are gray areas for injured animals, but prefer to support programs like The Whale Sanctuary that will provide an in ocean facility that is more natural without performances, run by actual scientists with a true conservationist focus.

That is just how I am, it is certainly a heated issue

it's sad when you see seaworld has bigger parkinglots than tanks

I do have to give Seaworld credit for one thing. They have an amazing rescue rehab program. If they put that in light and didn't keep the healthy animals, I feel they'd be viewed in a more positive light.

there's a lot of controversy around that too with "skewed" data though. I remember when the pilot whales stranded in florida, seaworld showed up and did nothing but watch while volunteers did everything they could to save the whales. They were under huge scrutiny for it as all the whales died but two. They had the capacity to rehabilitate both whales, but took one and put it in their shows. The other whale, left alone, had to be put to sleep.

I personally find that aquariums tend to do better work for actual rescue and rehabilitation. It's very interesting when you research their rescue claims. The Vancouver Aquarium has a lot of data on the animals they rescue

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I personally choose to not support seaworld or any marine mammal captivity that isn't necessary for survival. I do understand that there are gray areas for injured animals, but prefer to support programs like The Whale Sanctuary that will provide an in ocean facility that is more natural without performances, run by actual scientists with a true conservationist focus.

That is just how I am, it is certainly a heated issue
    thanks rain and everyone else for all the info !!!!! I’d love to learn more about all the other conservation efforts for the whales. If the orcas can not go back into the wild is there something sea world can do to make things better for them? I finished the documentary black fish and it is very very sad. I looked up the whale and saw he passed away from infection and the recent calf born at sea world did as well. I really wish they could go out and be wild but if they don’t have the life skills what’s 5the best to hope for? And can I as a individual person do anything to help make it happen?

my dream is to see all whales and dolphins in the wild before I die. I do not want sea worl to ruin that by taking them from their homes and family’s they deserve to be happy to !!!!!!!!

Canada does everything better !!!!!! If I ever left my boyfriend I would move to Canada !!!! I didn’t know aquariums did rehabilitation work. I wonder what if any local efforts here in Texas help. I may not have money to donate to the cause but I can spend my time trying to help.o I think they said their is a group called osha that is trying to get sea world in check.

hahaha, OSHA is in charge of safety standards for workers. I really doubt they care about the orcas. Most likely they are involved because of the trainers death. Osha will most likely create new regulations and standard of procedures for the training union

( not laughing at you, just whoever told you that Osha would make it better) .

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Aegean View Post
    I second that. The thing with cetaceans in captivity is that, for one, they are too smart for it. The small, bathtub sized space doesn't provide enough stimulation for them, as they're used to swimming hundreds of miles in the open sea. This tends to cause unnatural behaviors, such as siting at the surface for long periods of time. It also leads to aggression. They can't get away from what is upsetting them in such a small space, so they have to take it out on their tankmates or trainers. Captivity also brings a lot of health issues. Pneumonia, teeth filing, etc, which can lead to premature death. Sea world also breeds (though not anymore!), and often separates calves from mothers too early. This can lead to stunted development, which brings us back to the beginning. Unfortunately, many of the whales can't be released to the wild, as they don't have the proper life skills.
    This Is exactly whats wrong with SeaWorld and captive dolphins . ( or any other animal)

Why do we feel that humans have the right to imprison animals for our amusement? It's selfish and cruel. Dolphins are incredibly intelligent and living in isolation makes them go insane.

If the orcas can not go back into the wild is there something sea world can do to make things better for them?

This is what the whale sanctuary is for. it would accept animals from all over the world

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    Really the only good thing that came out of Sea World beside their selective rescues is they had some of the biggest mers had their start from them with Melissa being one of them. I would like to also say Raven of Merbella because one of their past free diver (pearl diving tank) has a strong resemblance to her more than a half decade ago but don't quote me on that one. There was one other famous mer that got the start there but I can't think of her name at the moment.
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

Hello!

I am new here, but incredibly educated on this topic so really wanted to give my input.

I used to to be completely Anticap (Anticaptivity) but have slowly become more neutral overtime with education. Being neutral cap doesn't mean I think SeaWorld is good, I can just see it as necessary sometimes, depending on the situation.

Before I start, I'm not sure if anyone has bought this up yet but it's important to know. Tilikum, was one of my favourite whales and my dream was always to see him. He's done so much to help his whale friends, and bought so much awareness to the issue of captivity. Unfortunately, earlier this year in January (sadly a few days before my birthday) he passed away. I never got my dream to see him, but his memory will live on.

Moving on....

It should be common sense to agree that such intelligent, sentient, and highly developed social creatures should not be kept in captivity to perform. Their social lives are just as developed as ours (if not more) and they've even be recorded with different regional language, names etc etc - They are incredibly intelligent creatures, putting them in captivity and forcing them to perform, is on par to putting a human in captivity and forcing them to perform. These animals perform, always for the food. If they don't perform, they don't get fed. As simple as that. The technique of training varies from park to park, SeaWorld Australia does not train using food deprivation where as the USA parks do. Same goes for Loro Parque. Understandably, these whales are stressed, exhausted, hungry and are going a little crazy. Tilikum was on antidepressants, and so is Kalina/Katina? (Forgot which one) - I do not agree with bring animals into captivity, and breeding them... specifically for purposes of entertainment.

However, it is unwise to release the animals into the wild. Especially ones who have spent their entire lives in captivity. That would be exposing them to chemicals, diseases, and other dangerous things their bodies just aren't used to and would most likely lead to their deaths. Perhaps, a filtered sanctuary with controlled conditions would work, but an overall release is not suitable.

Regardless, it is now illegal for SeaWorld to breed their whales, and their most recent calf (and last calf) died prematurely. Personally, I feel we just phase it out by letting the current whales die out gradually. Their living conditions will be vastly improved for their last years with the "Blue World Project" - and SeaWorld also discontinued their theatrical shows.

In fact, the park is looking at selling due to low ticket sales.

The reality is, there will be an end to cetacean captivity one day. It is not inevitable, slowly and surely the whales will die out and then it will no longer occur in the USA and western countries.

However, in Japan, it's a different story, I suggest you watch another documentary called "The Cove" it is graphic, but dolphins and whales must be protected there.

This video describes what the financial motivations are behind SeaWorld's publicity campaigns, and attempts to restore its public image.

What I find most interesting is the sheer amount of money their CEO and their other executives make (do you think their CEO shout devote some of his $11 million/year salary to figuring out how to move their cetaceans and pinipeds to sanctuaries, for example?)