Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Finfolk's Fabric Tails!

Even the Finis shooter has caused holes in finfolks fabric tails, and thats the one they recommend.

I hope they make the next gen flukes a lot stronger.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N910F met Tapatalk

I'm not sure they're going to be able to make it stronger without increasing the thickness of the neoprene. I had thought the vinyl inserts would have protected them better, but that just doesn't seem to be the case.

On the note of the Mahina, I had seen mers having success in getting theirs in and were talking about how they loved the flow it gave the fluke, but now seeing the damage it's done to their tails I'm shying away from buying one ot use with this tail. I too would suggest anyone thinking about it to reconsider. Too many pod members hurting their tails, but at least so far everyone has been able to patch the holes and give their tale some battle scars.

Quote Originally Posted by Magi View Post
    I'm not sure they're going to be able to make it stronger without increasing the thickness of the neoprene. I had thought the vinyl inserts would have protected them better, but that just doesn't seem to be the case.

On the note of the Mahina, I had seen mers having success in getting theirs in and were talking about how they loved the flow it gave the fluke, but now seeing the damage it's done to their tails I'm shying away from buying one ot use with this tail. I too would suggest anyone thinking about it to reconsider. Too many pod members hurting their tails, but at least so far everyone has been able to patch the holes and give their tale some battle scars.
    I was just about to ask if the Mahina fin would work and you saved me some trouble. I do wonder if a cut finis shooter or rapid might work? I’m still on the fence about buying this first wave.

Senior Member Pod of Cali
    Quote Originally Posted by MermaidLiara View Post
    Even the Finis shooter has caused holes in finfolks fabric tails, and thats the one they recommend.

I hope they make the next gen flukes a lot stronger.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N910F met Tapatalk
    They mentioned they'd look into a stronger fabric but they also never had any tearing or hole issues with any of their tester tails. So I'm not sure if its just an experience thing or a pool thing. Or even just how the monofin is placed per person. I know on mine, two are because I stood on it. The other I have no idea, but thankfully mine were all tiny.

Besides, its not like injuring your tail is a hundred percent avoidable. It's going to be used. It is still fabric.

For stronger flukes, I know someone also asked about, like thicker vinyl or something since they're so floppy and hard to pose in. But the twins responded it wasn't something they had planned so I'm not sure if they'll consider it. I don't think it'd be worth it for them anyway, least now.

You might be able to make neoprene protectors to cover the ends of the mahina so it won't damage the tail.
    Mermaid Sagittaria
    Savannah, GA | Richmond, VA
    Competitive Swimmer since 2005 | Aspiring Animator
    9 Time National Champion Swimmer | 11 Time All-American Swimmer
    Art Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/abigail_richey/
    Mermaid Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tybee_mermaid/

Hey, I’m hoping to get a tail from the upcoming spring line but I’m not sure what size to get. I’m smack dab in the middle between the XS and S sizes, but I’m leaning towards getting a extra small to reduce potential drag. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Dragon View Post
    Hey, I’m hoping to get a tail from the upcoming spring line but I’m not sure what size to get. I’m smack dab in the middle between the XS and S sizes, but I’m leaning towards getting a extra small to reduce potential drag. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    i would get the bigger size if was to small it would be uncomfortable and you would be down a lot of money

I was in the same boat.... My waist measurements were right at XXS but my other measurements were closer to XS, I went ahead with XXS. I've not written how it fits me or added pictues yet because I haven't gotten to swim in it yet (Few weeks until I get there, but it is a snug fit. It's not overly tight like it's crushing me, I'm not uncomfortable, but there is no room for error. I'm not prone to gaining weight so I'm not scared of outgrowing my tail. The hope is that when I start swimming in it it'll be a good fit.
    The safe option is getting the larger size.... you can always take it in. There isn't a lot of stretch to the neoprene but if you do size down take your time putting on the tail, it takes practice to get it on and make it feel right.

Finally had a first swim in mine. I have a mahina in it. overall it went well, but the fluke is really floaty. I struggled to stay under at all. The drag is manageable, but it does swell with air bubbles & collected water. I think the damage I keep hearing about it strictly from the way the vinyl insert rubs and pinches the neoprene in places. The mahina doesn't help with that, but really, neither does the finish shooter. here are some pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

For a visual reference for some of you mers that don't have one of these tails but have swam in other fabric tails..... This is my Mertailer tail skin waist to waist with my FF tail and the monofin that fits in that skin that I'll be trying in my tail next week. This fluke is no joke and I'm really curious to feel how it handles in the water in comparison.

Name:  tumblr_p54tus8aYF1r6r6wpo3_1280.jpg
Views: 1137
Size:  440.4 KBName:  tumblr_p54tus8aYF1r6r6wpo2_1280.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  403.0 KB

Considering getting one, using the covers magictail sends with the mahina, would it be worth it getting one? They're highly priced and I fear they could get ripped easily :/
    Also, how do you reduce the swelling from water and air?

Quote Originally Posted by The Dragonfly Mermaid View Post
    Considering getting one, using the covers magictail sends with the mahina, would it be worth it getting one? They're highly priced and I fear they could get ripped easily :/
    Also, how do you reduce the swelling from water and air?
    Can't speak for the covers and how they would work with the Mahina.... Seeing a lot of damage done with mahinas in the tails too. As for the tail getting ripped.... It's possible, at the end of the day it is a fabric tail, it all comes down to how you care for your tail in and out of the water. Since it is a neoprene tail it is possible to sew and use scuba repair kits to mend the tail, so it's not like you have to throw out the tail if you get holes. I've seen several mers now showing their success in repairing their tails so far.
    As for the water/air getting trapped in the tail, there are a few I've seen putting drainage holes in their fluke.... undoing the stitching at the seams before enforcing the area, from what I've seen people have been saying it flows better. I personally haven't tested it out. I'm wondering if just how I swim if I can negate this.

Thank you very much for your help!
    How much does it stand up if you are on your front with fin up?

Quote Originally Posted by The Dragonfly Mermaid View Post
    Thank you very much for your help!
    How much does it stand up if you are on your front with fin up?
    HOnestly? With my monofin and the inserts in there it doesn't stand up much at all, it's not very stiff and it flops. This mer I've watched for a year or so now shows the sort of flopping she had despite having I think a shooter in her tail, thumbnail she only got by snapshotting her video footage.

So I finally got to swim in my tail....

I came from swimming in a Mertailer tail and I have to say I felt a huge difference that I don't mind. There's a lot more effort in getting into the FF tail, but it stayed on me and fit comfortably on me. Was funny trying to get out of and can't say this is a tail I would feel safe wearing in an environment that could be dangerous if I don't get out of the tail quickly. I had to float there in the water until I could get my tail down which only took me a few seconds, but that's a lot more time than a regular fabric tail takes to get off and know that can mean a lot in a bad situation. Not sure if this will get better with practice or not.

I did have air getting trapped in the fluke, but personally I didn't find this a big issue, and I loved having the warmth of the neoprene. I kept loosing my warm water when I had to open the zipper to fix my monofin (I'll get to that later), but I warmed up quickly. If I considered drainage holes I do think I would lose this and miss it. That being said, when I got my tail out of the water it was "fun" trying to make sure I poured out all the water trapped inside, lol...
    I didn't lose my screws in the vinyl like I've heard a lot of people complaining about, they didn't even come undone. I'm not sure if a bigger monofin will change this or not. I took out the casing for drying and took the two pieces apart so they could dry better. with them out and my tail airing out after a good rinse they all aired out in a day. My tail doesn't even look like it was used and I was concerned since it was a rough pool which can't be said the same about my other fabric tail. I'm very careful about not touching the bottom of a pool or standing in my tail, but a season of swimming will still rough up corners as you can imagine.
    Something I heard other mers complaining about is that when the tail gets wet you can see the black neoprene through the lighter colors, which with a peachy keen colored tail would be a decent portion of the top. I personally didn't see a lot of issues with this in the water. When I was out of it, yes... the black shows through and darkens the color quite a bit, but even when reviewing my camera footage I didn't see that issue in the water.

Monofin.... Well, if all you have is an Aquarius then getting a new monofin is going to be a must. Probably no surprise to any mer who has swam with this tail, an Aquarius just does not have the power to control such a large fluke. I had a lot of flow which was beautiful, but my swimming did struggle. I had to use a lot more stamina to do simple things, and I couldn't even do a lap on one breath of air like I normally can with the combination. I'm not sure which monofin I'm going to go for, but I need a major upgrade. My mother who has watched me swim for countless hours in my other tail noticed my struggling and commented that my turns are slower and not as sharp in this tail which I blame on the monofin in this case.
    Also with the Aquarius-- I kept loosing my control with it. As some might know there is just a silicone strap to keep you tail on. I tightened it as tight as I could and had neoprene boots on, and I still could not keep that monofin on. I generally have to fix it a few times when I'm swimming in my other tail, but as you can imagine I had to fix my strap multiple times in this tail. I kept having to swim to the stairs and unzipping the side to fix this, after nearly a dozen times in an hour I just gave up since I knew this was dangerous. Nothing quite as unnerving as sort of limply wiggling to the shallows ^.^;

From a mer who has only swam in fabric tails, I'm in love... I finally get a large fluke (my weakness) and a realistic look that I generally associate with a silicone. I'll be sad if the XXS is discontinued since it fit me perfectly, but I'm looking forward to the next lineup of tails as I would consider adding another one of these to my collection and I am excited to see how this tail holds up from a full season of swimming.

So I finally got to swim in my tail....

I came from swimming in a Mertailer tail and I have to say I felt a huge difference that I don't mind. There's a lot more effort in getting into the FF tail, but it stayed on me and fit comfortably on me. Was funny trying to get out of and can't say this is a tail I would feel safe wearing in an environment that could be dangerous if I don't get out of the tail quickly. I had to float there in the water until I could get my tail down which only took me a few seconds, but that's a lot more time than a regular fabric tail takes to get off and know that can mean a lot in a bad situation. Not sure if this will get better with practice or not.

I did have air getting trapped in the fluke, but personally I didn't find this a big issue, and I loved having the warmth of the neoprene. I kept loosing my warm water when I had to open the zipper to fix my monofin (I'll get to that later), but I warmed up quickly. If I considered drainage holes I do think I would lose this and miss it. That being said, when I got my tail out of the water it was "fun" trying to make sure I poured out all the water trapped inside, lol...
    I didn't lose my screws in the vinyl like I've heard a lot of people complaining about, they didn't even come undone. I'm not sure if a bigger monofin will change this or not. I took out the casing for drying and took the two pieces apart so they could dry better. with them out and my tail airing out after a good rinse they all aired out in a day. My tail doesn't even look like it was used and I was concerned since it was a rough pool which can't be said the same about my other fabric tail. I'm very careful about not touching the bottom of a pool or standing in my tail, but a season of swimming will still rough up corners as you can imagine.
    Something I heard other mers complaining about is that when the tail gets wet you can see the black neoprene through the lighter colors, which with a peachy keen colored tail would be a decent portion of the top. I personally didn't see a lot of issues with this in the water. When I was out of it, yes... the black shows through and darkens the color quite a bit, but even when reviewing my camera footage I didn't see that issue in the water.

Monofin.... Well, if all you have is an Aquarius then getting a new monofin is going to be a must. Probably no surprise to any mer who has swam with this tail, an Aquarius just does not have the power to control such a large fluke. I had a lot of flow which was beautiful, but my swimming did struggle. I had to use a lot more stamina to do simple things, and I couldn't even do a lap on one breath of air like I normally can with the combination. I'm not sure which monofin I'm going to go for, but I need a major upgrade. My mother who has watched me swim for countless hours in my other tail noticed my struggling and commented that my turns are slower and not as sharp in this tail which I blame on the monofin in this case.
    Also with the Aquarius-- I kept loosing my control with it. As some might know there is just a silicone strap to keep you tail on. I tightened it as tight as I could and had neoprene boots on, and I still could not keep that monofin on. I generally have to fix it a few times when I'm swimming in my other tail, but as you can imagine I had to fix my strap multiple times in this tail. I kept having to swim to the stairs and unzipping the side to fix this, after nearly a dozen times in an hour I just gave up since I knew this was dangerous. Nothing quite as unnerving as sort of limply wiggling to the shallows ^.^;

From a mer who has only swam in fabric tails, I'm in love... I finally get a large fluke (my weakness) and a realistic look that I generally associate with a silicone. I'll be sad if the XXS is discontinued since it fit me perfectly, but I'm looking forward to the next lineup of tails as I would consider adding another one of these to my collection and I am excited to see how this tail holds up from a full season of swimming.
    How did u wash your tail if u don’t mind me asking?

Mermaid Kisses
    Starfish Wishes

~~~Mermaid Auquita~~~

Sent from my Shell Phone
    Sent from My Shell Phone

***Mermaid Auquita***

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidAuquita1998 View Post
    How did u wash your tail if u don’t mind me asking?

Mermaid Kisses
    Starfish Wishes

~~~Mermaid Auquita~~~

Sent from my Shell Phone
    Once I get it out of the pool I usually rinse mine out as soon as I can in the shower or bath and let it hang dry/lay flat with the bathroom heater on for how ever long it needs. I also take out the inserts in the fluke and let them dry out on their own. It's worked for both my tail skins at this point, neither of them having shown fading or heavy wear, and my smaller tail skin has already had a full season of use.
    If I wore them anywhere else than a pool or had gotten them stained in any way I would probably be using baking soda and laundry soap to clean them, but I haven't need to so far.

Senior Member Pod of Cali
    Once I get it out of the pool I usually rinse mine out as soon as I can in the shower or bath and let it hang dry/lay flat with the bathroom heater on for how ever long it needs. I also take out the inserts in the fluke and let them dry out on their own. It's worked for both my tail skins at this point, neither of them having shown fading or heavy wear, and my smaller tail skin has already had a full season of use.
    If I wore them anywhere else than a pool or had gotten them stained in any way I would probably be using baking soda and laundry soap to clean them, but I haven't need to so far.

Careful with using a heater to dry it, heat can cause neoprene to lose its elasticity and overall shape.

Yeah mine stinks of chlorine now -.- I've been thankful we switched to my friends' complex saltwater pool. It's so much nicer on the skin, hair, eyes, and tail -so everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Mer Coralia View Post
    Careful with using a heater to dry it, heat can cause neoprene to lose its elasticity and overall shape.

Yeah mine stinks of chlorine now -.- I've been thankful we switched to my friends' complex saltwater pool. It's so much nicer on the skin, hair, eyes, and tail -so everything.
    That's a good point. I was mainly worried about it staying wet for too long when dying but I would be more concerned about it losing it's stretch.

I have been thinking about getting a Finfolk Fabric Tail for a long time. I was thinking about getting one today as a graduation gift to myself, but I am not sure if I should. They are pretty expensive, and I would have to get a different monofin to really use it, since all I have is a finfun and a competitor. I am not sure if I should buy one of these and get a monofin, or wait and see if I can find some other tail maker to make me a custom skin to go on the competitor. Any thoughts?