Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Finfolk's Fabric Tails!

Quote Originally Posted by gay-mermaid.memory View Post
    im so happy for you!!!!!!!
    Thank you

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    Sent from My Shell Phone

***Mermaid Auquita***

Well, I'm unsure how I feel about how this tail fits me ever so slightly. I've heard from several mers that the tail fit differently once they got it in the water, but from trying on my tail yesterday I'm wondering if my tail is just too tight. I was able to get it on, but I can't get it higher than my hip bones and there's some slight muffin topping on my back.
    How is the tail fitting for you guys? Think I should return for a size up (it is still in stock) or should this be fine?

Quote Originally Posted by Magi View Post
    Well, I'm unsure how I feel about how this tail fits me ever so slightly. I've heard from several mers that the tail fit differently once they got it in the water, but from trying on my tail yesterday I'm wondering if my tail is just too tight. I was able to get it on, but I can't get it higher than my hip bones and there's some slight muffin topping on my back.
    How is the tail fitting for you guys? Think I should return for a size up (it is still in stock) or should this be fine?
    My tail fits me great

Sent from My Shell Phone

***Mermaid Auquita***

You should probably keep it because I doubt they will be coming back

Sent from My Shell Phone

***Mermaid Auquita***

XXL review- pre first swim.

Hi. I'm a fluffy mermaid, and I received my tail today! I'm not sure if the pics I tried to post will work lol..... I haven't had the opportunity to swim with it just yet, but here's what I noticed while trying it on.

The fluke is much heavier than I expected. I would definitely consider a rigid monofin in this tail as opposed to a floppy one. I ordered a finis shooter, but all I had for today was a fin fun monofin. Also, the finfun fit, but after a few minutes in it I would not recommend trying to swim with a finfun in this tail. It just isn't durable enough for it.

I ordered an XXL, and most of the measurements were spot on. I did notice that the hips are actually a little too wide for me, and it wrinkles up there (refer to the picture where I look like a sausage lol). I'm going to try to take that in, but idk how that is going to go.

The zipper is white. I know that isn't news. I haven't sharpied mine yet, so you can still see how it looked initially.

I was in the tail for 10 minutes maybe? I noticed that the vinyl insert actually shifted a bit inside the tail and spun a little to the left, making it weighted weirdly. I took it off and re positioned it, and it happened again. more research to come on why that's happening...

Also, confirmed, the pattern does not fade on the larger sizes. the scales go right up to the waist. I think that might be a positive thing, as it hid some of my lumpyness lol.

I'll report when I have a better monofin and some swim experience in this tail to comment on.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Blue Joy View Post
    Hi. I'm a fluffy mermaid, and I received my tail today! I'm not sure if the pics I tried to post will work lol..... I haven't had the opportunity to swim with it just yet, but here's what I noticed while trying it on.

The fluke is much heavier than I expected. I would definitely consider a rigid monofin in this tail as opposed to a floppy one. I ordered a finis shooter, but all I had for today was a fin fun monofin. Also, the finfun fit, but after a few minutes in it I would not recommend trying to swim with a finfun in this tail. It just isn't durable enough for it.

I ordered an XXL, and most of the measurements were spot on. I did notice that the hips are actually a little too wide for me, and it wrinkles up there (refer to the picture where I look like a sausage lol). I'm going to try to take that in, but idk how that is going to go.

The zipper is white. I know that isn't news. I haven't sharpied mine yet, so you can still see how it looked initially.

I was in the tail for 10 minutes maybe? I noticed that the vinyl insert actually shifted a bit inside the tail and spun a little to the left, making it weighted weirdly. I took it off and re positioned it, and it happened again. more research to come on why that's happening...

Also, confirmed, the pattern does not fade on the larger sizes. the scales go right up to the waist. I think that might be a positive thing, as it hid some of my lumpyness lol.

I'll report when I have a better monofin and some swim experience in this tail to comment on.
    Omg So did I

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Regarding sizing: I had to exchange. I originally got an XS, but it was way too tight, so I exchanged for a Small. For reference my waist is 27 and hips 36. It fit much better, but the waist still was too snug for my liking. (lots of muffin top). Plus it was very long and I am short torso'd. I took out all the stitches in the waistband and completely took out the elastic. I just folded it over a bit more and tacked it down enough so that I could swim in it the other day. It stayed up just fine without an elastic and was much more comfy on the waist

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    These tails have gorgeous colors.

I keep checking the tracking on my tail, haha, I'm so excited for it to arrive but it's probably still going to be another week or two. Why is Australia so far away lol!

I kind of wish drag was as big of a problem for me as it is for other mers with these tails. I accidentally propelled myself way too deep while taking mine to the springs for the first time. My ear ended up filling up with water so much I couldn't hear from it, and today it feels bruised. I was just trying to go under the water, I accidentally shot down about 20 feet or so...
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCorvidae View Post
    I kind of wish drag was as big of a problem for me as it is for other mers with these tails. I accidentally propelled myself way too deep while taking mine to the springs for the first time. My ear ended up filling up with water so much I couldn't hear from it, and today it feels bruised. I was just trying to go under the water, I accidentally shot down about 20 feet or so...
    What Monofin are you using with your tail?

Sounds like barotrauma or a perforated ear drum. I would stay out of the water for 2 weeks and let it heal.

What Monofin are you using with your tail?
    It was just a finis foil. Based on what people were saying about it, I wasn't expecting that much propulsion.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Broussard View Post
    Sounds like barotrauma or a perforated ear drum. I would stay out of the water for 2 weeks and let it heal.
    It's definitely not a perforated ear drum. I've had one of those just last year, it was absolutely nasty and the most painful thing I've ever experienced. (I had to use ear plugs in the shower for over a month.) This only felt like a bruise, as if I had managed to stub my ear canal on a table somehow. The pain is already gone, but I won't be forgetting my ear plugs next time for sure.

It was just a finis foil. Based on what people were saying about it, I wasn't expecting that much propulsion.
    Yeah, that's impressive considering the more mediocre comments I've been reading from people with that monofin. You must have a strong kick is all I can say ^.^;

It's probably just that it's a more powerful monofin than people are giving it credit for. A lot of people who complain about it seem to be people who use larger finis monofins or mahinas. But when they're saying that to somebody like me who's never had a monofin before, it's giving a skewed expectation of what to expect out of a monofin. Honestly though, the real issue is that this is my first tail and I'm not really that experienced with freediving. I've never swam deeper than 10ft before that, I've never intentionally dove under the water where the deep part of a spring was, (they're kind of creepy so I used to avoid swimming over them) and I need to practice controlling a monofin better.

I'm considering designing a finfun tail for myself to practice with at the pool to get a bit better at this before the next meetup at the springs. Their monofins look small and less powerful, so it seems like a good place to start.

That is a possibility too.... If not a Finfun tail for practice there's also the Mertailor tail that uses an Aquarius. It's a small monofin as well but has a little more propulsion than the finfun's monofin from what I understand since it's firm.

Hi. So I still haven’t had the chance to swim in mine, but next weekend I should gain pool access. I did however get my shooter monofin into the tail. Definitely an upgrade from the fin fun, as my feet didn’t slide around inside the monofin- but what I did notice is that there really isn’t a great location for the screws to stop the shooter from moving side to side. Also, if I lay on my back and put my fin in the air, I noticed the fabric scrunched up and pinched in a weird way by the fluke. I think it’s because-again- there isn’t a great way to secure that monofin in the tail, and it moved down into the fluke. I can see why the Mahina would be the best choice if you are able to accomplish it! I’ll post another update when I get it into the water.

Senior Member Pod of Cali
    If you put the Mahina in your tail, it can rip through the fabric. Just an FYI.

A podmate recently posted such photos. It's fixable with neoprene glue (I've had some bottom pool scraps on mine which I fixed), but hers were much bigger so it might be a little more tricky to get the outer scale-printed fabric lined up.

So, I was curious about the Mahina. A friend lent me there’s to try with, and I got mine in with 0 problems, and it maybe took 5 minutes if you count the two minutes it took me to make a plan. Here’s what I did:

-First, I wet a sponge and wiped down the mahina and the insert so it wouldn’t stick

-then I pushed the mahina in halfway, or until the foot pockets were against the zipper.

- I stopped here to guide the end of the mahina into the correct pocket of the fluke.

- next, I folded the foot pockets in a little and carefully tucked them into the fluke

-finally, I folded the bottom of the mahina that was still outside of the zipper back, minding the edges, and pulled it into the fluke. Once in, I slowly unfolded it and guided it into the other pocket. After, I went through and made sure it was sitting in the correct spot and that it wasn’t butting up against any of the seams too much.
    So, water definitely helps a lot! I can’t garentee it will work for every tail. I’m a bigger mermaid, so my tail has some extra fabric. Go slow, if you think you might be stressing a seam, stop and abort. After this though, I’m definitely getting a mahina for this tail, and probably returning the shooter.

Yeah, don't use the mahina in these tails. IDK why anyone would be trying to shove an object that rigid and barely fits into a tail this expensive to begin with, but after seeing the holes the mahina tore into some people's tails I can't stress this point enough. Don't use the mahina in the finfolk fabric tails. It can and likely will eventually ruin your fluke.