Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Finfolk's Fabric Tails!

Quote Originally Posted by Sherielle View Post
    Good to know. I'm trying not to bug them since they need to take care of the paid orders first and the last thing they need is me bugging them for a tracking number, lol. I'm treating like a surprise.
    I’m obsessed trying to know more when it’s coming

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Sent from My Shell Phone

***Mermaid Auquita***

Senior Member Pod of Cali
    Quote Originally Posted by Magi View Post
    So I'm hoping for some feedback on this tail from other people who have theirs.

How does this tail fit? How true are the measurements that Finfolks gives for these tails? I know that with the Mythic line they tend to run a bit large....
    I measured myself and while my waist fits the XXS the butt doesn't and it looks like I might be a little too tall if I've measured that part right. I've never worn neoprene before but I was aware that there's a tiny bit of a stretch to it, but I don't know how much....
    Should I be more concerned about that waist measurement that's firmly in the XXS measurment or that Butt measurement that's between two sizes? How important is that top ot tail ot ankle measument that I'm between sizes on as well?
    I just really want it to fit right for swimming as I don't want extra drag from it being too loose.
    The Mythic and Fabric sizes are completely different and it's recommended you don't compare them. The fabric neoprene includes the amount of stretch.

I was stuck between two sizes (cause waist and hips) and chose the smaller one for my waist; I contacted Finfolk about it and that was their recommendation so I wouldn't have drag. I'm with Folly with having the next butt size up, so for the first time trying it on, it was really hard to pull over but the second time was easier. Otherwise the size I received fit well. Another point for me, since the lengths were the same I wasn't worried about that. However for you since the XXS and XS have different lengths, you may want to size up for length alone. You can always take in if necessary. Plus looking at the chart, it's an inch difference of waist between the XXS and XS opposed to three inches of length.

Also you can contact the girls and tell them your measurements so they can recommend a size. They're your best source if you're unsure.

Hope that's helpful.
    Last edited by Mer Coralia; 01-11-2018 at 04:38 AM. Reason: clarification; hope that makes sense

Senior Member Pod of The South saborigakusei's Avatar
    So I finally got to take it for a swim! And to those planning to purchase one, I have one thing to say -

For the love of Poseidon, SIZE DOWN!!!

My tail, which I can barely squeeze into on land, felt like it was a size too big underwater. I was constantly trying to pull out wrinkles. If they don't release custom sizing then I may actually go with an XXS next time.

There is also a massive amount of drag due to the lack of drainage holes in the fluke. I'm looking into ways to add some, because I felt really slow and got tired very quickly. On the upside though, swimming in it as is will definitely give you a workout. xD

Other than that though, it was great! Neoprene keeps you a lot warmer than spandex, which was very nice since the pool was a little chilly. And I still can't get over how amazing the scales look and how big the fluke is.

To any other mers that have had a chance to take these for a swim, how did it fit in the water? I'm curious how everyone else's experiences are!
    ~Azuri the cave siren~

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1392
Size:  49.8 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 1226
Size:  52.8 KBName:  3.jpg
Views: 1106
Size:  91.7 KBName:  4.jpg
Views: 1189
Size:  63.1 KBName:  5.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  74.6 KB

I gotta say, this is my first mermaid tail EVER, and I'm so happy it was a finfolk. ;; I can't wait to swim in it. Took a bit of time to get the luna monofin in there.

My poor pupper was so confused as to where my legs went. xD

I'm sad because I haven't had a chance to swim in mine yet. I worked on the only warm day this month and now I have a double ear-infection. (Inner ear, so it doesn't hurt, but I don't want to agitate it...)
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

Name:  26730697_10155965898487645_6170678572614483123_n.jpg
Views: 1093
Size:  69.2 KBName:  19702199_10155965898807645_812794174110380185_n.jpg
Views: 1236
Size:  106.4 KB
    Pics of my new fabric tail... no monofin yet (should hopefully coming this week), so I haven't been able to try it out. However, I might this weekend.
    Even as it is written, "She had her dwelling in the great sea -- and was a fish therein."
    Xena: Warrior Princess
    Ep. 3.12 The Bittersuite

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod

Visit MermaidMermeron(Cameron)'s Youtube Channel
    the fin folks look better than my finfun but personally i dont have one yet maybe in 5 years or so i will have my silicone tail but umm by 2020 i might ask for a finfolk fabric looks way nicer than my finfun but i still love my tail (may look like im rambiling but i dont know how to socialize)

or maybe something like this for my next birthday depending on if they still have them

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidMermeron(Cameron) View Post
    or maybe something like this for my next birthday depending on if they still have them
    They're selling the last of these particular tails today, but they're going to come out with a new line of fabric tails for spring and summer. This is most likely going to be a regular thing from Finfolk now, so if you'd rather save up for one of these tails than a silicone, it's much cheaper and you could get one from the next release.
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

[QUOTE=BlueCorvidae;292480]They're selling the last of these particular tails today, but they're going to come out with a new line of fabric tails for spring and summer. This is most likely going to be a regular thing from Finfolk now, so if you'd rather save up for one of these tails than a silicone, it's much cheaper and you could get one from the next release.[/QUOTE/] i know thats why i said or maybe something like it but not exactly this exact one something simmiler

im starting to like finfolk better than my finfun so by july 16th im going to get whatever model they have out by then it dosent have to be this exact one

this is just such a nice looking fabric tail it looks so simmiler to silicone tails so my next tail might be from finfolk

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidMermeron(Cameron) View Post
    this is just such a nice looking fabric tail it looks so simmiler to silicone tails so my next tail might be from finfolk
    but i might still save up for a silicone tail and ask for a finfolk fabric tail for my birthday i got my finfun 4 years ago i think or maybe 5 - 7 years ago but my memory is foggy it could've just been 3 - 4 years ago i have taken really good care of my tail and i think that fabric tails are so cheap i could ask for another for my birthday or next Christmas but so far in allowence for my silicone tail i have 450$ and in 1-3 years i could get a job so i may have my silicone tail by 2024 - 2029 idk ... but im very exited

On there Instagram said that due to high demand they plan on bringing back the Island Iris this is the pink and purple tail review https://youtu.be/U19kiGzg5eQ

Did any of the golden fin people get there Tail yet

Alrighty folks I have emerged!
    3 of my fellow mermaids of BC have gotten their tails from the Black Friday sale and I just got to see one today! @Mermaid_kaida on instagram got hers in the Sandy Shoal and boy oh boy do we have some things to say! Here's her unboxing - I highly recommend for her hilarious commentary!

Pros:
    Oh mer gosh, it is a FinFolk tail,,, but in fabriiiiic! There is hope for us poor people! Except for the fact that us Canadians basically paid 500 for it, not including the monofin cost. Yipeeee
    It has an amazing design and the fluke is just gorgeous
    I was correct in that the 1mm neoprene is pretty nice to the touch, not transparent (black inside) and much thicker than the average fabric tail.
    Seems to be pretty sturdy - great for Kaida as she does tons of photoshoots on rocky surfaces
    It seriously looks legit in the water - we got a ton of curious stares from other lane swimmers
    The body of the tail fits very well, has some stretch but conforms to your body quite nicely. I fit into the tail just fine and could make it work for my much smaller frame no problem.
    The fluke looks pretty darn legit and flows great in the water but that comes at a large cost...

Cons:
    Not as bright as in the pictures, the "sandy" colour is more of a brown
    Some of the stitching at the side isn't as tight as it should be, Kaida mentioned something about a "serger???" If you saw my last video, you'll know that I don't have a clue when it comes to these things.
    HOLY CARP THIS THING IS HARD TO SWIM IN!!!! And yes, I did get into it myself for a spin and well.... I am not impressed.
    Granted, Kaida purchased the finis Foil instead of the Shooter with it so that might have something to do with the monofin's power in the tail but there are some things that I noticed when it came to this ridiculous fluke:
    1. The vinyl is much thicker than anticipated and therefore heavy out of the water, and slightly floaty in the water.
    2. The fluke had NO DRAINAGE! Literally, when we hauled the fluke onto the pool deck it looked like a waterbed and sloshed out a ton water when we squeezed it.
    3. The stupid screws would keep being undone and cause the monofin to slide around. (this lead to an excellent pun battle between myself and Kaida's mertender)
    4. The fluke would fill up with air as we lowered into the water, making it tricky to get into the pool without looking like you ate 4 balloons for breakfast.
    5. It felt like I was swimming with a pull bouy or something. This tail has a ton of drag! I could barely swim 5m underwater without coming up for air. Today I managed to swim 25m underwater in my freaking Luna to give you some reference.
    6. The massive size almost looks slightly out of place on a fabric tail and was interesting to work around. It certainly displaces a TON of water, due to its surface area.
    7. Did I mention that this thing is hard to swim in?? Sure there is a learning curve with any tail, but to throw a beginner in this tail or a weak swimmer? Borderline unsafe, as a lifeguard I am officially calling it. Seriously, its not an ocean tail, at least from what I found. Granted, I could tread water and float in this thing but going fast? Not. A. Chance.

Now of course, these are my preliminary opinions based on one swim in someone elses tail, but I'm pretty sure about the fact that this tail is not a practical design for swimming. Too many moving parts and far too much drag to make it an enjoyable experience. I want to seriously caution you guys to take it SLOW on your first swim if you haven't gotten it already and be prepared that the vinyl is a pain in the butt.

The more info the better! Does any of this sound familiar to people who have swam in theirs yet?
    Last edited by Nerdmaid Faith; 01-21-2018 at 10:01 PM. Reason: formatting
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

If anyone figures out how to add drainage holes please post! I followed instructions to a T and still had air pockets in my fluke i was unable to get out! SOS

Senior Member Pod of The South saborigakusei's Avatar
    I had success eliminating air pockets by slowly lowering myself into the pool starting with the tips of my fluke. That said, I did have issues with the tail collecting air anytime part of it came out of the water (like when I dove down or did tail flips).

I do agree with faithonthebass - this tail is incredibly slow and tiring to swim in compared to my other ones. I think I may have had a slightly easier time due to my squeezing the mahina in there though.

I will definitely be trying to add drainage, I'll post an update when I do.
    ~Azuri the cave siren~

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MermaidAuquita View Post
    Did any of the golden fin people get there Tail yet

I haven't yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherielle View Post
    I haven't yet.
    Was u one of them