Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Finfolk's Fabric Tails!

Senior Member Pod of Texas Sherielle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MermaidAuquita View Post
    Was u one of them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    yes

Quote Originally Posted by saborigakusei View Post
    I had success eliminating air pockets by slowly lowering myself into the pool starting with the tips of my fluke. That said, I did have issues with the tail collecting air anytime part of it came out of the water (like when I dove down or did tail flips).

I do agree with faithonthebass - this tail is incredibly slow and tiring to swim in compared to my other ones. I think I may have had a slightly easier time due to my squeezing the mahina in there though.

I will definitely be trying to add drainage, I'll post an update when I do.
    Kaida and I would literally push down on the fluke in the water to get the air out. We determined that this tail has some of the awkwardness of a silicone tail but is still convenient and portable.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Sherielle View Post
    yes
    Me too I’m obsessing checking my email for a notification but I texted them on Facebook again I’m just too excited this is my first tail like ever! I got the Island Iris

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Open up some of the seams along the edge of the fluke. Picture it like the Fin Fun tails, how it has a big hole to put monofin in, instead of that big hole, undo a few stitches along the fluke edge, so you'll end up with many tiny holes. Make sure to secure remaining stitches so the whole thing doesn't come undone.
    Formerly known as ireneho

Me too I’m obsessing checking my email for a notification but I texted them on Facebook again I’m just too excited this is my first tail like ever! I got the Island Iris

I know they are on vacation right now and they had a minor emergency right before they left so some of the tails they were shipping did not go out in time. I'm just gonna be patient and when mine arrives, it will be like christmas all over again. lol.

I'm curious if anyone is going to do any modifications to theirs. I'm considering getting a dorsal and possibles side fins from Fancy Fish

I know they are on vacation right now and they had a minor emergency right before they left so some of the tails they were shipping did not go out in time. I'm just gonna be patient and when mine arrives, it will be like christmas all over again. lol.
    Thank u I didn’t know that

I'm curious if anyone is going to do any modifications to theirs. I'm considering getting a dorsal and possibles side fins from Fancy Fish
    My friend Kaida is going to do exactly that but with pectoral fins

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by faithonthebass View Post
    Alrighty folks I have emerged!
    3 of my fellow mermaids of BC have gotten their tails from the Black Friday sale and I just got to see one today! @Mermaid_kaida on instagram got hers in the Sandy Shoal and boy oh boy do we have some things to say! Here's her unboxing - I highly recommend for her hilarious commentary!

Pros:
    Oh mer gosh, it is a FinFolk tail,,, but in fabriiiiic! There is hope for us poor people! Except for the fact that us Canadians basically paid 500 for it, not including the monofin cost. Yipeeee
    It has an amazing design and the fluke is just gorgeous
    I was correct in that the 1mm neoprene is pretty nice to the touch, not transparent (black inside) and much thicker than the average fabric tail.
    Seems to be pretty sturdy - great for Kaida as she does tons of photoshoots on rocky surfaces
    It seriously looks legit in the water - we got a ton of curious stares from other lane swimmers
    The body of the tail fits very well, has some stretch but conforms to your body quite nicely. I fit into the tail just fine and could make it work for my much smaller frame no problem.
    The fluke looks pretty darn legit and flows great in the water but that comes at a large cost...

Cons:
    Not as bright as in the pictures, the "sandy" colour is more of a brown
    Some of the stitching at the side isn't as tight as it should be, Kaida mentioned something about a "serger???" If you saw my last video, you'll know that I don't have a clue when it comes to these things.
    HOLY CARP THIS THING IS HARD TO SWIM IN!!!! And yes, I did get into it myself for a spin and well.... I am not impressed.
    Granted, Kaida purchased the finis Foil instead of the Shooter with it so that might have something to do with the monofin's power in the tail but there are some things that I noticed when it came to this ridiculous fluke:
    1. The vinyl is much thicker than anticipated and therefore heavy out of the water, and slightly floaty in the water.
    2. The fluke had NO DRAINAGE! Literally, when we hauled the fluke onto the pool deck it looked like a waterbed and sloshed out a ton water when we squeezed it.
    3. The stupid screws would keep being undone and cause the monofin to slide around. (this lead to an excellent pun battle between myself and Kaida's mertender)
    4. The fluke would fill up with air as we lowered into the water, making it tricky to get into the pool without looking like you ate 4 balloons for breakfast.
    5. It felt like I was swimming with a pull bouy or something. This tail has a ton of drag! I could barely swim 5m underwater without coming up for air. Today I managed to swim 25m underwater in my freaking Luna to give you some reference.
    6. The massive size almost looks slightly out of place on a fabric tail and was interesting to work around. It certainly displaces a TON of water, due to its surface area.
    7. Did I mention that this thing is hard to swim in?? Sure there is a learning curve with any tail, but to throw a beginner in this tail or a weak swimmer? Borderline unsafe, as a lifeguard I am officially calling it. Seriously, its not an ocean tail, at least from what I found. Granted, I could tread water and float in this thing but going fast? Not. A. Chance.

Now of course, these are my preliminary opinions based on one swim in someone elses tail, but I'm pretty sure about the fact that this tail is not a practical design for swimming. Too many moving parts and far too much drag to make it an enjoyable experience. I want to seriously caution you guys to take it SLOW on your first swim if you haven't gotten it already and be prepared that the vinyl is a pain in the butt.

The more info the better! Does any of this sound familiar to people who have swam in theirs yet?
    I took mine for it's first swim yesterday. This is my first ever tail, so I have nothing to compare it to. I also bought it with the foil, which is my first monofin. (I've swam with dual fins before.)

I am not an incompetent swimmer, but I am pretty slow in the water. I was still faster in this tail than I am when I swim without any gear. So I haven't noticed any of the issues with drag and the like, then again, I haven't used anything like a finfun before. The fluke was heavy pulling out of the water though, I probably pulled about four gallons of water out with it. The feel of the vinyl isn't a problem if you have a decent pair of neoprene socks on. I also left the screws in the position that they were shipped to me in, so I haven't had a problem with them yet either. I may take them out entirely though.

I'm going to agree with you on safety. This IS a difficult tail to get out of, so I'm going to avoid swimming anywhere with a current and I definitely won't be swimming without a buddy who isn't in a tail.
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

For the golden fin people here’s what FinFolk said

FinFolk Productions just posted on instagram

So my tail shipped out yesterday and it's looking like I'll be getting it early next week. Not sure when is the earliest I can test it out in water, but news on how the XXS and an Aquarius monofin all fit to come soonish =D

Quote Originally Posted by Magi View Post
    So my tail shipped out yesterday and it's looking like I'll be getting it early next week. Not sure when is the earliest I can test it out in water, but news on how the XXS and an Aquarius monofin all fit to come soonish =D
    What color of Tail did u get?

What color of Tail did u get?

I’m gonna be a Peachy Keen mer ^.^

My TAIL AS FINALLY SHIPPED IT SHOULD BE HERE TUESDAY

Senior Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Holly's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Holly on MySpace
    My TAIL AS FINALLY SHIPPED IT SHOULD BE HERE TUESDAY

Congrats!

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    "Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me."

Psalm 42:7

Senior Member Pod of Cali
    It's been so hard trying to write my experiences with this tail and my initial thoughts. Not sure why but here it finally goes:

(Please note my only tail swimming before this was in a FinFun once two years ago; and to date I've swam in my Sapphire four times)

It's really easy to swim in and it's easier to turn in once you get accustomed to the fluke size. I use a wave monofin and I feel that it help holds its shape more so than the shooter which makes it more flowy. You need a monofin in it even when you're just posing cause the vinyl just keeps the fluke shape not keep it sturdy, it's just too floppy without it. I don't notice drag but I am a strong swimmer and I don't find swimming a workout (I never feel tire or sore from it, no matter how long/far I've swam) so that might just be me; my friend who I often swim with, has commented on the drag compared to his Mertailer fabric tail. I also don't have issues with the vinyl slipping, it is really sticky to its self.

I've seen four variations in person: Sea Sapphire (mine), Starcrossed Silver (friend's), Island Iris and Plumeria Pink. All the fluke variations: Lorena, Lotus and Nymph. I feel that the Lotus is the largest, the Lorena the longest and the Nymph the smallest of the three. I transport mine in a HOF bag that hasn't been flipped yet. It makes it so easy to carry.

The colors are all gorgeous. Since having it in person, the three-dimensional affect has softened to me and it's more obvious its a fabric tail opposed to just seeing it in pictures. I hope that makes sense. I'm not sure to describe it.

I know people have issues with screws. I have not. Nor do I find the tail heavy except when it balloons from holding too much water in the fluke. The air bubbles were especially difficult the fourth time for whatever reason, you can swim most of them out though. I'm adding drainage in my fluke to beat both these problems. I'll let you know how it works from my next swim hopefully later this week.

I do have tiny holes in mine, all on the bottom two directly from the monofin heel; the holes show that the printed fabric is different layer of neoprene. I patched these with neoprene glue, which to be honest didn't do the best job since I kept messing with it (I didn't want to sew it). So only one of the holes looks good, the other didn't line up correctly and the third has tape stuck in it. I'm hoping a swim will take those pieces out. Another note on the neoprene, I feel mine has stretched out around the fluke since the vinyl isn't as snuggly -it was really tough to take out the first time. I feel even though it helps the drying process by taking them out, I won't be taking them out too often because I feel that it stretches the neoprene a bit when you're fighting to get it back in.

I have noticed (from other pod members) that depending what size you get, the scales end differently around the waist. Both smalls I've seen have that short blended waist of the scales from regular size getting smaller towards the waist. The other sizes can have a much longer waist blend to where its not scales and some don't even have it, it just ends at the regular scales pattern. So it gives the tails a sense of uniqueness.

The zipper is noticeable but there's pros and cons of that to personal choice. Personally I would have preferred a black zipper but most people are using sharpie to cover it which works perfectly fine. The seams are noticeable in the sense that the scales don't line up. I don't notice the thread seams until it gets darker towards the base of my tail. I fit my size perfectly minus the butt so I feel thats unavoidable unless its not snugly. It does not stretch much so do pay attention to the size measurements and if you're confused email the girls. Thankfully I didn't have a length problem, not that it was really an option for me. It does come just short of my waist so yay for a bit of a an awkward muffin top which isn't fixable since I have a longer monofin. The shooter is shorter than the wave so you can adjust so it comes up slightly more.

Oh last thing hopefully. The chlorine is KILLER on the darker parts of my tail. It's starting to turn it white, which disappears underwater but is noticeable out of the water when dried. If you use it in a chlorinated pool, you need to soak it and rinse it out really well to prevent that.

So yay! That's hopefully everything. I'll share how my drainage holes work once I finish them and test it out.

I absolutely love it. I think its really good if you're going for silicone since its the size of one, just not the weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Mer Coralia View Post
    It's been so hard trying to write my experiences with this tail and my initial thoughts. Not sure why but here it finally goes:

(Please note my only tail swimming before this was in a FinFun once two years ago; and to date I've swam in my Sapphire four times)

It's really easy to swim in and it's easier to turn in once you get accustomed to the fluke size. I use a wave monofin and I feel that it help holds its shape more so than the shooter which makes it more flowy. You need a monofin in it even when you're just posing cause the vinyl just keeps the fluke shape not keep it sturdy, it's just too floppy without it. I don't notice drag but I am a strong swimmer and I don't find swimming a workout (I never feel tire or sore from it, no matter how long/far I've swam) so that might just be me; my friend who I often swim with, has commented on the drag compared to his Mertailer fabric tail. I also don't have issues with the vinyl slipping, it is really sticky to its self.

I've seen four variations in person: Sea Sapphire (mine), Starcrossed Silver (friend's), Island Iris and Plumeria Pink. All the fluke variations: Lorena, Lotus and Nymph. I feel that the Lotus is the largest, the Lorena the longest and the Nymph the smallest of the three. I transport mine in a HOF bag that hasn't been flipped yet. It makes it so easy to carry.

The colors are all gorgeous. Since having it in person, the three-dimensional affect has softened to me and it's more obvious its a fabric tail opposed to just seeing it in pictures. I hope that makes sense. I'm not sure to describe it.

I know people have issues with screws. I have not. Nor do I find the tail heavy except when it balloons from holding too much water in the fluke. The air bubbles were especially difficult the fourth time for whatever reason, you can swim most of them out though. I'm adding drainage in my fluke to beat both these problems. I'll let you know how it works from my next swim hopefully later this week.

I do have tiny holes in mine, all on the bottom two directly from the monofin heel; the holes show that the printed fabric is different layer of neoprene. I patched these with neoprene glue, which to be honest didn't do the best job since I kept messing with it (I didn't want to sew it). So only one of the holes looks good, the other didn't line up correctly and the third has tape stuck in it. I'm hoping a swim will take those pieces out. Another note on the neoprene, I feel mine has stretched out around the fluke since the vinyl isn't as snuggly -it was really tough to take out the first time. I feel even though it helps the drying process by taking them out, I won't be taking them out too often because I feel that it stretches the neoprene a bit when you're fighting to get it back in.

I have noticed (from other pod members) that depending what size you get, the scales end differently around the waist. Both smalls I've seen have that short blended waist of the scales from regular size getting smaller towards the waist. The other sizes can have a much longer waist blend to where its not scales and some don't even have it, it just ends at the regular scales pattern. So it gives the tails a sense of uniqueness.

The zipper is noticeable but there's pros and cons of that to personal choice. Personally I would have preferred a black zipper but most people are using sharpie to cover it which works perfectly fine. The seams are noticeable in the sense that the scales don't line up. I don't notice the thread seams until it gets darker towards the base of my tail. I fit my size perfectly minus the butt so I feel thats unavoidable unless its not snugly. It does not stretch much so do pay attention to the size measurements and if you're confused email the girls. Thankfully I didn't have a length problem, not that it was really an option for me. It does come just short of my waist so yay for a bit of a an awkward muffin top which isn't fixable since I have a longer monofin. The shooter is shorter than the wave so you can adjust so it comes up slightly more.

Oh last thing hopefully. The chlorine is KILLER on the darker parts of my tail. It's starting to turn it white, which disappears underwater but is noticeable out of the water when dried. If you use it in a chlorinated pool, you need to soak it and rinse it out really well to prevent that.

So yay! That's hopefully everything. I'll share how my drainage holes work once I finish them and test it out.

I absolutely love it. I think its really good if you're going for silicone since its the size of one, just not the weight.
    My TAIL CAME

https://youtu.be/BOyq44bfIA8

Sent from My Shell Phone

***Mermaid Auquita***

Senior Member Pod of Texas gay-mermaid's Avatar

Follow gay-mermaid on Tumblr
    Quote Originally Posted by MermaidAuquita1998 View Post
    My TAIL CAME

https://youtu.be/BOyq44bfIA8

im so happy for you!!!!!!!