Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Finfolk's Fabric Tails!

I really hope the Mahina will work with them or else I'm gonna have to dig to find a good bargain on a wave. (curse my tiny feet!)
    Mermaid Sagittaria
    Savannah, GA | Richmond, VA
    Competitive Swimmer since 2005 | Aspiring Animator
    9 Time National Champion Swimmer | 11 Time All-American Swimmer
    Art Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/abigail_richey/
    Mermaid Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tybee_mermaid/

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Summerlilly's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Summerlilly On Twitter
    I commented on the picture asking about the Hydra, and they said they aren't familiar with it, but they're posting measurements of the monofin casing so we can compare it, which is awesome. (ALSO I KNOW THIS IS A MUNDANE AND SMALL FACE BUT LIKE FINFOLK PRODUCTIONS SAW AND REPLIED TO MY COMMENT HOLY CARP WHAT THE HECK ITS LIKE WHEN A CELEBRITY NOTICES YOU OR SOMETHING I AM IN AWE) ok rant over
    beep boop get some soup

If a Rapid will fit, then a Hydra will as well, some about the Wave/Hydra

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Marine View Post
    The premade neoprene tails I've been looking at tend to run between $200 (on sale) and $450, so $335 sounds about right. I'm curious how much more it would be with a monofin, which Finis is used, etc. Might have to join the pod squad!

Sent from my SM-G930V using MerNetwork mobile app
    As Mermaid Kane said I was kinda hoping it would be in the $200's but I am really glad you posted what the neoprene tail price range is. Given the type of fabric, the cost of getting a custom print on neoprene, and the monofin casing that is included (which I am sure will not only keep the fluke shape but also perhaps prevent you from seeing your monofin's lines) it does make sense that it would be this price.

Does anyone know how thick this neoprene is? I am guessing it is 2mm or 3mm.

I want one, but I figure the next round they create will be even more beautiful and any issues will be worked out. So perhaps I will hold out for summer 2018...Perhaps...I dunno.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    It's a reasonable price for the product for sure.

Senior Member Pod of Cali
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Alea View Post
    As Mermaid Kane said I was kinda hoping it would be in the $200's but I am really glad you posted what the neoprene tail price range is. Given the type of fabric, the cost of getting a custom print on neoprene, and the monofin casing that is included (which I am sure will not only keep the fluke shape but also perhaps prevent you from seeing your monofin's lines) it does make sense that it would be this price.

Does anyone know how thick this neoprene is? I am guessing it is 2mm or 3mm.

I want one, but I figure the next round they create will be even more beautiful and any issues will be worked out. So perhaps I will hold out for summer 2018...Perhaps...I dunno.

It's 1mm thick. The current "end" goal with the fabric line is to allow you to pick the color and fluke style you want. Customization was asked, it's being looked into I think. More flukes will be added. I'm sure colors may be extended as well.

They are priced reasonably in my opinion as well but if you didn't have an idea about neoprene, then you may think its outrageous. It definitely helps to have an idea of what the material is like. I'm curious how they'd go over in China where they've having all the copyright issues though.

Awesome! So I changed my mind...I think I will in fact buy one of these tails once they are released. I got to thinking about it...Life is short, this year has been rough, might as well treat myself. Hopefully the color I want won't get sold out lol.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Senior Member Pod of Cali
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Alea View Post
    Awesome! So I changed my mind...I think I will in fact buy one of these tails once they are released. I got to thinking about it...Life is short, this year has been rough, might as well treat myself. Hopefully the color I want won't get sold out lol.
    https://media.giphy.com/media/13jJIY0llDdip2/giphy.gif

Hopefully that works. I keep debating it. Which one were you leaning towards? My favorite it the blue Lorena.

I'm probably going to get the bright green/blue one but once I get it my plan is to paint some extra designs on it. I just made a mood board for what I am thinking and I did some concept art, but I won't know for sure what direction I want to take until I have the actual tail in front of me.

The blue Lorena is definitely beautiful. I think the amount of contrast it has makes it one of the best in the lineup.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    Tropical Plants

I've been thinking a lot about whether or not the mahina would fit in these new tails so I went into photoshop to see if I could guesstimate it.

Name:  IMG_3716_with_monofins.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  309.2 KB

Since Finfolk confirmed that the foil would fit, I used a photo I found of the mahina and foil being compared and guesstimated based off of that. I have no idea if it'll actually fit but after doing this, I really hope it does!
    Last edited by TybeeMermaid; 11-12-2017 at 12:54 AM.
    Mermaid Sagittaria

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TybeeMermaid View Post
    I've been thinking a lot about whether or not the mahina would fit in these new tails so I went into photoshop to see if I could guesstimate it.

Name:  IMG_3716_with_monofins.jpg
Views: 795
Size:  309.2 KB

Since Finfolk confirmed that the rapid would fit, I used a photo I found of the mahina and rapid being compared and guesstimated based off of that. I have no idea if it'll actually fit but after doing this, I really hope it does!
    Gee I hope it does...

A shooter (the monofin they reccomended the most for the tails) is 20'' by 18''
    My wave is 21'' by 18''
    The foil is 16" by 10''
    This is a foil on top of a Mahina with accurate scaling.
    I'm not saying that it won't work, but I'm not entirely hopeful either.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

Name:  il_570xN.1212432192_h89q.jpg
Views: 913
Size:  115.7 KB
    Thanks Fancy Fish Fashions! So looking at Mahina vs Rapid does make me feel a bit better, but I'm not 100% sure whether or not the rapid has been said to have worked. *investigates instagram*
    BTW here is a rapid vs a wave
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-11-11 at 9.57.24 PM.png
Views: 749
Size:  587.9 KB
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by faithonthebass View Post
    Thanks Fancy Fish Fashions! So looking at Mahina vs Rapid does make me feel a bit better, but I'm not 100% sure whether or not the rapid has been said to have worked. *investigates instagram*
    Yeah, I got my monofins mixed up and said Rapid instead of Foil. I don't believe they've mentioned anything about the rapid yet.
    Mermaid Sagittaria

OK *cracks knuckles* After a fun filled evening of scrolling through HUNDREDS of comments I am ready to condense all of the public FinFolk information that is not the clearly obvious stuff in captions.

1. Tails are made entirely out of neoprene and weigh about 5-10 pounds with a hardish casing inside the monofin. The material of the casing is unknown and the measurements of that will be posted #soon. The fluke sizes are the same as on the full silicone tails. Regarding fluke/colour options and customisation the 7 posted are the only options so far and will likely be a limited release.

2. From what I can gather, its a closed bottom fluke and you slide the monofin inside into the casing. Small or medium sized monofins will fit inside the casing. The casing will help retain the shape of the fluke even if there is a bit smaller monofin.

3. So far, there seem to be several categories of monofin comfirmation.

A. YES IT FITS GO THIS WE RECCOMEND: The Finis Shooter and the Foil
    * then as seen in my previous post the Wave/Tempo will likely work*
    B. Yes
    The FinFun and the Luna (which size though?)
    *therefore the Suntails, Mirage and Magictail Super monofins will definetly fit inside*
    C. We don't know yet???
    The Mahina probably, will be confirmed later.
    The Hydra (probably not)
    The Rapid - could not find any comments refering to that one. *EDIT IT NOW BELONGS IN THE YES CATEGORY*
    Everything else.

They will be releasing a list of all confirmed monofins soon as well as the monofin casing dimensions so you can cross-reference with ones not listed. Attatched are all the relavent comment replies where I got my info from.

Last edited by Nerdmaid Faith; 11-12-2017 at 03:41 AM.
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube

Ooooh I am so excited!
    Last edited by Mermaid Alea; 11-12-2017 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Saw Faith's post answering my question
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    Tropical Plants

I forgot about Facebook comments... THE GODS HAVE SPOKEN, THE RAPID WILL FIT!
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-11-11 at 10.13.23 PM.png
Views: 855
Size:  100.6 KB
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube

What about the Luna fin? I hope that one fits...

I'm so glad the rapid will fit! Now my only concern will be snatching a tail before they sell out.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    Tropical Plants

Quote Originally Posted by TwilitWing View Post
    What about the Luna fin? I hope that one fits...
    Said in recent post

Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube