Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Finfolk's Fabric Tails!

Congrats golden ticket winners!

My coworker said the wait for me to get my Finfolk fabric tail seems like it has been forever lol. I didn't realize she was anticipating it. When my boss found out that I took Black Friday off to get a tail she wasn't surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by uwmerman View Post
    I would be curious as to hear your opinion of the two. I feel like my monofin is too stiff and it doesn't feel easy to swim in. Is the mahina meant for more experienced swimmers?
    Like what Mermaid Kane said, the Mahina can be a good first monofin - and it is good for anyone! I think many mers start with a Mahina. My first monofin was the Rapid and I have really enjoyed it. Both monofins have their pros and cons. The only real con for me on the Mahina is how it hurts my feet. In no time I get a blister under my ankle bone on my right foot. Other mers have had similar issues with getting blisters. Everyone seems to recommend getting a size up from the size you would usually wear - then you will have extra room to wear thick socks or neoprene socks to prevent those blisters. The Rapid doesn't hurt my feet at all.

The Mahina has a better look than the Rapid. I personally think the Rapid is easier to use with less effort when compared to the Mahina. I feel like I can expend less effort and get further with the Rapid and it takes a bit more effort and concentration in my movements to swim with the Mahina. Of course the Rapid is stiffer...

When it comes to deep water swimming I haven't really had a chance to test the Mahina for swimming deep. I'm a bit weary of using it again because I don't like getting blisters (I'm not talking about swimming really hard and getting blisters, I'm talking about swimming slowly and carefully and still getting blisters). The Rapid is awesome for swimming deep. In just a few kicks it gets you down pretty fast. I was at a spring hanging on the side of a floating dock and these girls jumped off the dock into the water. When they came up, one girl said she lost her sunglasses. Long story short, I wanted to help but I was nervous because I had never swam so deep before but I swam down there and rescued those sunglasses from the bottom and that moment showed me that the Rapid is pretty good for descending into the depths.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Thank you for your input mermaid alea. Sounds like to me the mahina should be for a slightly more experienced swimmer? Since it requires more concentrated movements. I have no idea what monofins I have. I got one with my suntail and with my magictail. So I'm not sure what those brands have for monofins when you get the tail and monofin combo.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania moomer's Avatar
    Not necessarily on the Mahina. It's the first monofin I've owned and it's still the only one. I had no trouble getting used to the feeling, and the weight. Obviously try it out in the shallows, and I highly recommend wearing neoprene socks.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by moomer View Post
    Not necessarily on the Mahina. It's the first monofin I've owned and it's still the only one. I had no trouble getting used to the feeling, and the weight. Obviously try it out in the shallows, and I highly recommend wearing neoprene socks.

I didn't know one could wear socks in a fin. What tail did that monofin come from? Or did you buy the monofin Separately?

I bought my Mahina seperately from my fabric tail. I sized up a small amount, and bought Neoprene socks from a scuba shop

Quote Originally Posted by moomer View Post
    I bought my Mahina seperately from my fabric tail. I sized up a small amount, and bought Neoprene socks from a scuba shop

ah I see. I didn't even think to get a monofin seperately lol. I'm still new at being a mer and swimming in a tail. How long have you been a mermaid?

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uwmerman View Post
    I didn't know one could wear socks in a fin. What tail did that monofin come from? Or did you buy the monofin Separately?
    The way most fabric tails work is that there are skins and then a monofin made by the same company to fit the tail. For example, a monofin that came with your Suntails skin is a Suntails monofin.
    However, Mahina MerFins don't have a skin option. You can buy leggings that are scale printed, but that company doesn't promote using their tail with a skin (at least, not for kids).

If if you buy a Mahina, you'd have to make your own tailskin, or commission someone else.

Again, I will recommend the Mahina as a first monofin! I would say that the motion is actually easier to get down. It's also big enough to have great propulsion (compared to FinFun or other cheaper fins), and it's neutral buoyancy (where I found the Suntails fin when I tried it to float, which SUCKED).

Guess what! I put lots of helpful info regarding these tails in a handy little video here!
    Nerdmaid Faith Out
    YouTube
    |Instagram|Twitter|Facebook

Yes I'm not trying to say a Mahina isn't a good first monofin. Many mers have had it as their first fin and I don't see why it wouldn't be a good first choice. I personally didn't start with that as my first monofin and I also have issues with the fit for my Mahina. As Moomer mentioned, she bought a size up from her size so that she could wear socks in the monofin and that probably makes it work just right for her.

Yass Faith I can't wait to watch your video!!!
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kane View Post
    The way most fabric tails work is that there are skins and then a monofin made by the same company to fit the tail. For example, a monofin that came with your Suntails skin is a Suntails monofin.
    However, Mahina MerFins don't have a skin option. You can buy leggings that are scale printed, but that company doesn't promote using their tail with a skin (at least, not for kids).

If if you buy a Mahina, you'd have to make your own tailskin, or commission someone else.

Again, I will recommend the Mahina as a first monofin! I would say that the motion is actually easier to get down. It's also big enough to have great propulsion (compared to FinFun or other cheaper fins), and it's neutral buoyancy (where I found the Suntails fin when I tried it to float, which SUCKED).
    that makes sense so what ever tail skin- monofin combo I get is likely going to just be a monofin from that company or brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Alea View Post
    Yes I'm not trying to say a Mahina isn't a good first monofin. Many mers have had it as their first fin and I don't see why it wouldn't be a good first choice. I personally didn't start with that as my first monofin and I also have issues with the fit for my Mahina. As Moomer mentioned, she bought a size up from her size so that she could wear socks in the monofin and that probably makes it work just right for her.

Yass Faith I can't wait to watch your video!!!
    are there any other monofin types other than the Mahina and the rapid?

Heaps. Do some shopping online and you will see.
    The rapid is only a style of monofin made by one company, Finis. As is the Mahina.
    If you look in a dive shop, they probably will have a few you could try on for size.

Aaaaah, my tail shipped out today!
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

Ahh I just checked my email! Mine shipped as well!

I just so happen to be wearing my Ariel onesie that I wore when I bought the tail, so perhaps it is good luck lol.

I just signed up for text alerts. We are guessing it will come Tuesday or Wednesday.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    Tropical Plants

Heeey guess what I just got today?

AHHHHH!!! You got your tail!!! How big is the packaging?

I got a text today saying mine is expected to arrive here on Friday. This is going to be a loooong week haha.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    Tropical Plants

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCorvidae View Post
    Heeey guess what I just got today?
    Yeah do a review on YouTub please

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Sent from My Shell Phone

***Mermaid Auquita***

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidAuquita1998 View Post
    Yeah do a review on YouTub please

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'm really not much of a youtuber. I'm awkward when I'm trying to talk to a camera and I don't have any decent equipment. Plus I live with birds that are louder than me so... I guess I'll just tell you about my thoughts here!

Keep in mind that I haven't swam in it yet. The weather is awful and I really don't feel like making myself sick. Anyways;
    >The package is pretty big, about the same size as the box my finis foil was shipped in. If you've ever ordered a monofin before, expect the box to be about the same size.
    >The fluke is huge. Just one of the fins is the same length as my arm.
    >The print is absolutely gorgeous, however it doesn't line up properly all the way up the seam. I'm not too bothered about it, but I know some people might be so it's worth pointing out.
    >It wasn't easy to put on and I doubt it will be as easy to take off if you need to remove the tail when you're in the water. The only zipper is on the fluke for inserting the monofin, so don't expect the same quick-release of a finfun fabric tail.
    >There are two sheets of flexible plastic inside the fluke for holding your monofin in place and keeping the shape of the fluke. It was tricky figuring out how to properly inserting my monofin, and they didn't include any instructions for that.
    >The fluke is heavier than I was expecting. I doubt it's as heavy as silicone but I had trouble lifting my feet with it on.
    >New neoprene smells funny, lol.
    >The fluke will have creases in it when it first arrives. They have to fold it, plastic casing and all in order for it to ship. Fortunately the plastic they used for the monofin casing is very flexible and the creases will be gone if you let it lay out for a few hours. Finfolk did give instructions for this part.

Does the neoprene have a fabric lining on the interior?

Thanks for all of the info!
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    Tropical Plants

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Alea View Post
    Does the neoprene have a fabric lining on the interior?

Thanks for all of the info!
    Yeah, the typical black lining that you see on most neoprene tails.