Thread: Finfolk won't address the problems with my mythic tail

Add Mermaid Kaisha on Facebook

Finfolk won't address the problems with my mythic tail

I bought my very first tail in April this year - a Finfolk mythic tail. The tail I got was 6 inches bigger than advertised (an XL tail). The measurements of the tail itself never fit the XL or XXL measurements, this one seemed to be just floating between. When I emailed them about it the problem was never addressed and I was just told to return it (I couldn't, I had just moved house and didn't have $180 to ship it back from Australia). They offered a priority waitlist spot for the next sale, but this was after the July sale - they had no date or colours decided at that stage. I thought it was very unfair that I should be made to wait again, and not be guaranteed another blue one. So I kept it and fixed it myself, spending my own time, money and labour (because sewing those scales is tough) which I shouldn't have had to do. During that process I discovered a number of really disappointing things about the tail. Dark pen lines on the neoprene, big scale gaps, loose knotted threads under the inner lining and even loose broken threads on the surface, making scale loss inevitable, no matter how delicately I treat this tail. Am I liable for that scale loss if the threads are already broken and loose?
    Anyway after all my complaining, they STILL will not address the problems. They've offered me no viable solutions. I sent another email asking for a pod squad refund since I left the group, but was told due to using the benefits of the group to obtain my tail I could not get one. So when I replied to that, explaining the tail I got was not what I paid for (being to big, terrible quality ect) my email bounced with an auto response saying "Email could not be sent due to sender address being blocked". They blocked my email address and won't give me access to the pod squad again, even though I paid the fee, left, and since they won't refund me I wanted back in. What do I do here? I'm left with this tail that has nothing but bad memories and it is really upsetting. I've tried to sell it but everytime someone asks or says yes they'll buy it, they decide not to two days later.

I don't know what to do. Finfolk aren't helping and they're just shutting down and blocking anyone or anything that says anything bad about them. I'm just completely at a loss here. Are my feelings about this whole thing justified? I keep questioning myself.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Oh man I'm sorry I wish I knew how to help you. I don't own any of their tails so I can't speak for if that is the norm for those tails in particular. I hope someone on here helps you out. Best wishes.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    Darn, that sucks.

Visit Mermaid_Mari's Youtube Channel
    I’ve had a few issues with my Gen 1 Tail, and from my end they’ve been pretty helpful but I know what you mean, sometimes they can be stubborn. I’m really sorry that this happened to you, I hope you can find a buyer for your tail, or something that’ll make you happy. Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@MaritzaMermaid on Instagram

That's awful. I'm not sure what's going on at their end -- maybe they're overwhelmed and customer service is suffering as a result

Assuming you still can't ship to the US, can you link to where you've posted the measurements? Maybe you might yet find a buyer.
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

I would try and contact them on different medias, Facebook or even Instagram.
    - For the size and labour you put in to fix it that is horrible, you shouldn't have to do that.
    - As much as it sucks i think when yo buy the it says that it isn't refundable
    - The loose knots are mostly to help the neoprene still have stretch. if you sew the scales on super tightly the neoprene will loose a a lot of its stretch so that is why not every scale is super tight but the knots very really give out. Ive shot my tails on rock and hauled onto them and the only loss that happened was the bottom half of scale breaking off. Yes scales will be lost every often but the replacement scales should hold you over for at least 6 months of consistent use (3+ times a week).
    - As far as the gaps in scales illustrated, my mythics have those too but they are not apparent when you put it on unless you altered it and the scales you sew back on.

Not here to fight for any side as i think some of this stuff sucks and is unacceptable, and their costumer service is getting better but still not up to par, but i know some of these things might just seem off but it isn't actually intentional (scales and thread).

I think your feelings about being blocked are justified and it really sucks, but i would try contacting them again though Facebook or Instagram or maybe even a new email for the podsquad membership and maybe priority in case you want a mythic/fabric tail.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    OK, I don't want it to sound like I blindly support Finfolk. I don't. But I feel like part of this is a common issue many mers encounter with expectation levels for premade products. I am not at all discounting your concerns but:

-The sizes are premade, neoprene stretches, and because it's not custom to your specific shape it's going to sit on you different than it does with someone else.
    An example from my own personal experience? I bought 3 premade Merbella silicone tails. All three matched my measurements, all three fit me totally differently and one of them I couldn't even put on and one of my team members use it. But when you line it up with measuring tape they're all three the same. Custom VS premade plays a big role.

- agree with Vee, the knots are to accommodate the stretching. However Finfolk has gotten a lot of Feedback on that and I suspect are going to change that in the future.

-The gaps are normal. This happens with every single sequin tail on the planet and I say this from personal experience. The gaps will show up differently on different people as well. The only real way to address it is to find out where they sit on you and fill them as needed. On my sequin tail certain movements would make gaps the same way that certain movements on silicone made wrinkles. Your gaps specifically look like they're the spaces for extra fins to me.

Here's what I think for a solution for you:

-In terms of fit I have always found wearing tights in tails to help with fit issues.
    -Ask finfolk if they'll give you some replacement scales for free. It's clear those gaps were intended for extra fins that you didn't order.
    -You can change up the knots if you want but I'd swim in it a few times first

You say they didn't address it, but they did give some options such as priority for the next tails. which I understand why you didn't take it, but they did offer something.

As far as the email blocking this is the first I've heard of it. As I understand it they use the google suite system same as me, and it doesn't allow for blocking of emails. Sometimes what can happen is getting auto-marked as spam which I have run into things from my contact form. Either way, I directed Abby to this thread so hopefully you guys can get in touch

I don't want to seem dismissive, I think because I have been in the industry for 9 years I've seen the growing pains that companies like this go through. I hope some of my ideas might help! Good luck

Banned
    Follow MermaidAnnabella On Twitter
    Visit MermaidAnnabella's Youtube Channel
    How long ago did you pay for it? Did you buy it with a credit card, Paypal...? I'm not sure how Australian banking law works, but for American banking law if you receive a product that is the opposite of what you paid for and is not what's advertised (in your case, you can say that the sizing is inaccurate since it is bigger than what they advertised), you can file a dispute with either your bank or with PayPal, and say you didn't get what you paid for. You'll be credited the amount you paid for while either service investigates the matter. Generally speaking these cases favor the buyer and not the merchant, but it does go on a case-by-case basis. If everything works out for your end, the likely outcome is that FinFolk will have to refund you and pay for shipment back if they want the product back. However, since you altered it they may only give you a partial refund, exchange, or store credit. Just stress that you had to alter it because of inability for progressive acknowledgement from them and provide documentation of any communication that you have had with them to either financial institution.

I hope that helps - good luck!

I had messaged Abby about this to draw her attention to it and she told me she's been in touch with the OP

Senior Member Pod of Oceania moomer's Avatar
    I'm really thankful to hear that. I have been following the issue since it first came up, and have been wondering how it was going to be resolved.
    As an Aussie mer myself, it has made me very nervous to purchase from Finfolk, as it is simply so expensive for us to ship back.
    Please keep us updated

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I hope this turns out well...

Add Mermaid Kaisha on Facebook
    Hi Everyone

I was contacted by Abby not even half an hour after this was posted. It has been resolved.

My biggest let down is I have been trying to get this whole thing resolved for months. Ever since I got it. As a paying customer, their solution for me to send it back was not viable for me. They sent me a defective product and as a company they either could have sent me a refund on shipping costs to send it back. By the time they had responded it was past the 7 days anyway so straight away I can't do that.
    As for offering a priority place in the next sale - I got my tail after the July sale and it was stated that the four colours (blue, pink, green and gold) weren't going to be available, nor did they have a date set for that sale. It's extremely unfair to have to wait without any of that information. I love my blue one, I didn't want another colour.
    In regards to the comment on premade sizes.....The XL tail was listed on their website with a 38" waist. My tail was 44". I measured myself sooo many times, as well as the tail itself. They stated the chart was a guideline as the neoprene stretches. That's fine and all, but if the chart says that tail is going to have a 38" waist, it should measure 38" when I receive it. I had to take six inches off to bring it back to what it should have been. Now for someone who has extremely limited sewing skills, that was terrifying. Because if I screwed it up, I'd be left with nothing.

My final thoughts....
    Finfolk are doing too much work and it showed in the quality of my tail and their customer service. I've been complaining since I got this tail in August. That's 2.5 months I've had this thing and the matter has only now been resolved. It doesn't change the fact that I had to alter my own tail, when by all counts it should have fit me (my waist measures 40-41" so 38" should have fit because I did size down). So, that's that. I will not be disclosing what the resolution was as that is between Abby and I.

Thanks for all your comments/feedback.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania moomer's Avatar
    I'm glad to hear it was resolved.
    And I'm very impressed with how professional you are being about the whole ordeal. It is very admirable.

I hope you get your dream tail one day!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

glad it worked out, I still stand by my comments about the fit with premade items, but I understand the frustration for sure. Like I said, I own an entire blue merbella tail that is my measurements and I can't fit in it. LOL

Glad it work out!

Glad you got it worked out! Hope your next tail is your dream tail!

Sent from my SM-G920T using MerNetwork mobile app