Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 37 of 37

Thread: Swimming in a tail

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by uwmerman View Post
    that is amazing, how long did it take you to make your sequin tail? I would love to do a photo shoot in a tail someday how many have you done? and that sounds like great advice, I'm a personal trainer on the side and I couldn't agree more that stretching and maintaining flexibility is a must. I docile myself underwater when I try to learn. It that is a good point to try on my back getting the kick down. I appreciate the tip I've been trying to practice once a week with out a monofin.
    It took me a while to accumulate all my supplies but once I had everything, it took me about 3 months to put it all together. It's really high matience! I'm always reattaching sequins after swims which is why I made a leisure tail for regular swims. I've done a few photoshoots but my favorite one was when I drove down to Ginnie Springs, FL for a day with other mermaids!

    Name:  IMG_3638 500px.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  195.8 KB

    Name:  IMG_3641 500px.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  185.1 KB
    Mermaid Coralia
    Savannah, GA | Richmond, VA
    Competivie Swimmer since 2005 | Aspiring Animator
    9 Time National Champion Swimmer | 11 Time All-American Swimmer
    Art Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/abigail_richey/
    Mermaid Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tybee_mermaid/

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Here's an article that'll help you get the movement down - https://www.deeperblue.com/monofin-freediving-101. It's mer-related so I hope you like it

    Unfortunately I can't speak from experience, I wasn't able to build up my technique to the point I'd be comfortable giving my own advice.
    it is certainly a great read, thank you for sharing how long have you been swimming?

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by MermaidLyara View Post
    I have a hydra and a competitor monofin. I love both, especially my competitor and it's easy to do a dolphin kick in either.

    One the monofins magictail uses is very very weak, like the finfun. Which magictail monofin do you have?

    A monofin with better propulsion is MUCH more fun to swim with . Certainly worth the investment imo

    I would like to see your future ruby red tail! for some reason, I do not see a lot of red merfolk.

    Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N910F met Tapatalk
    honestly I am not sure what type of monofin I have but it does not look like it bends much. It's like a piece of plastic that is almost straight at the end and it is transparent like you can see through it like glass. It's definitely not a pro lol but I do not think it is a super either. I am not familiar with types of monotone. And yeah that sounds like ore experience might be helpful with better propulsion. Awe well I will certainly show you my ruby red tail when I get it I plan on getting it early next year. I have a dragon color tail like in my profile picture and a blue tail. What is the benefit of having a competitor monofin versus a hydra? This is new to me lol and kinda cool to learn.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    The Finfun tail is a fabric. Its monofin is made from some sort of recycled polypropylene type plastic. Its covered with a Neoprene cover. In that cover are two holes into which you insert your feet. The stretchness of the neoprene holds your feet to the monofin.

    I found the monofin to be a little soft for my taste. I stiffened it by adding a polycabonate doubler for where my feet are. Then I found the neoprene cover would not hold my feet to the fin, given the stiffer fin allowed for a stronger stroke. I added a second neoprene strap that goes over my feet. Also, as I cannot point my toes very well, I heated and bent the monofin 30 degrees, with the bend line just beyond my toes.
    oh wow sounds like you have done a few enhancements to your monofin to fit you, that is pretty cool. I never really thought of the types of monofins. I am familiar with certain types of tails and material. How long did it take you to modify your monofin to fit your needs?

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by TybeeMermaid View Post
    It took me a while to accumulate all my supplies but once I had everything, it took me about 3 months to put it all together. It's really high matience! I'm always reattaching sequins after swims which is why I made a leisure tail for regular swims. I've done a few photoshoots but my favorite one was when I drove down to Ginnie Springs, FL for a day with other mermaids!

    Name:  IMG_3638 500px.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  195.8 KB

    Name:  IMG_3641 500px.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  185.1 KB
    now that would be super fun, to do a photo shoot with other mers. Are these photos from that shoot? You look amazing!!! I hope my photos turn out ok when I have a shoot someday. Do you get to meet up with other mers a lot or no?

  6. #26
    Senior Member Ransom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    109
    Quote Originally Posted by uwmerman View Post
    it is certainly a great read, thank you for sharing how long have you been swimming?
    Can't swim any longer, a loved one fell critically ill and I had to become a caregiver. Gave up my freediving hobby too, so I haven't put on a fin in 3 years.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Euro Pod MermaidLyara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    274
    Add MermaidLyara on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by uwmerman View Post
    honestly I am not sure what type of monofin I have but it does not look like it bends much. It's like a piece of plastic that is almost straight at the end and it is transparent like you can see through it like glass. It's definitely not a pro lol but I do not think it is a super either. I am not familiar with types of monotone. And yeah that sounds like ore experience might be helpful with better propulsion. Awe well I will certainly show you my ruby red tail when I get it I plan on getting it early next year. I have a dragon color tail like in my profile picture and a blue tail. What is the benefit of having a competitor monofin versus a hydra? This is new to me lol and kinda cool to learn.
    I would recommend to start with something like the Hydra or Mahina monofin to get the movement down. The mer community is quite divided on competitor monofins. I personally LOVE them. Competitors are very stiff but provide great propulsion. They do not fit in any standard luggage, which may make them unpractical (they will easily fit in the back of your car though, and you can buy protective cases/bags for it). Some people can't do tricks in a competitor. I can easily do tricks with my competitor, though. I do flips and turns etc with my competitor and I just love the propulsion it gives me.

    Lately I've been suspecting that the taller you are, the more suitable a competitor becomes for you. I am 5'9. Would love to hear other people's views on this.

    If you want a competitor, I recommend either the Subgear Trygons competitor or the Scubapro carbon competitor. These have super comfortable footpockets, much more comfortable than for example Finis! I have a Subgear Trygons and I can swim around in it for HOURS without any pain! I have never even had a blister yet! If I am ever gonna order a custom silicone tail, I will ship a Subgear Trygons competitor to the tailmaker, because I do not want any other monofin than that one lol.
    Mermaid since July 2016. <3

    Pimping my commercial tail.

    Trying to become better at tricks and holding my breath.

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Can't swim any longer, a loved one fell critically ill and I had to become a caregiver. Gave up my freediving hobby too, so I haven't put on a fin in 3 years.
    I hope that loved one is doing well and wish them well. You are kind for stepping in like that to support the ones you care about.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by MermaidLyara View Post
    I would recommend to start with something like the Hydra or Mahina monofin to get the movement down. The mer community is quite divided on competitor monofins. I personally LOVE them. Competitors are very stiff but provide great propulsion. They do not fit in any standard luggage, which may make them unpractical (they will easily fit in the back of your car though, and you can buy protective cases/bags for it). Some people can't do tricks in a competitor. I can easily do tricks with my competitor, though. I do flips and turns etc with my competitor and I just love the propulsion it gives me.

    Lately I've been suspecting that the taller you are, the more suitable a competitor becomes for you. I am 5'9. Would love to hear other people's views on this.

    If you want a competitor, I recommend either the Subgear Trygons competitor or the Scubapro carbon competitor. These have super comfortable footpockets, much more comfortable than for example Finis! I have a Subgear Trygons and I can swim around in it for HOURS without any pain! I have never even had a blister yet! If I am ever gonna order a custom silicone tail, I will ship a Subgear Trygons competitor to the tailmaker, because I do not want any other monofin than that one lol.
    What types of brand tails sell hydra or mahina monofin? When I ordered tails in the past I guess I never even thought about types of monofin a that come with it. Are competitor monofin bigger? I certainly can't speak from experience but if they are bigger I could see why being taller would be more advantageous. For example for exercise if someone were to use a Swiss ball the taller they are the bigger diameter ball they would need. I do peeps all training on the side so I know a thing or two in that category. But like I said if the competitor monofin is bigger I would believe that it would have an advantage if one is taller but I certainly like I said can't speak from experience. And what do you refer to when you say tricks? Like tricks underwater?

  10. #30
    Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    13,814
    Tybee mermaid, those are awesome!

    I am a work in progress. Due to health issues, I didn't learn to swim until I was 17, and even then it was only bad doggy paddle. I wanted to be a mer so bad I really worked on it, but my first tail had a competitor fin. That fin did ALL the work for me and while it made it easy, it wasn't the best to learn on because I built a lot of bad habits. I also have a lot of float issues.

    I recently took a freediving course and they really helped micromanage some of my movements and it made a world of difference, so 9 years on I am still learning!

    Contrast that with my little sister who the first time in a tail was better than anyone I've ever seen... LOL

  11. #31
    Senior Member Euro Pod MermaidLyara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    274
    Add MermaidLyara on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by uwmerman View Post
    What types of brand tails sell hydra or mahina monofin? When I ordered tails in the past I guess I never even thought about types of monofin a that come with it. Are competitor monofin bigger? I certainly can't speak from experience but if they are bigger I could see why being taller would be more advantageous. For example for exercise if someone were to use a Swiss ball the taller they are the bigger diameter ball they would need. I do peeps all training on the side so I know a thing or two in that category. But like I said if the competitor monofin is bigger I would believe that it would have an advantage if one is taller but I certainly like I said can't speak from experience. And what do you refer to when you say tricks? Like tricks underwater?
    Mermaid kat shop sells great tails with the Hydra monofin I have their red tail (the one in my profile pic ) and I love it!!

    There is no company that sells tails specifically for the mahina as far as I know (although the mahina will probably fit in a finfolk fabric tail). You could make your own tail!

    Yup, a competitor is much bigger and stiffer than a regular one!

    Yes, I mean underwater tricks, like flips and turns

    Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N910F met Tapatalk
    Mermaid since July 2016. <3

    Pimping my commercial tail.

    Trying to become better at tricks and holding my breath.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by MermaidLyara View Post
    Mermaid kat shop sells great tails with the Hydra monofin I have their red tail (the one in my profile pic ) and I love it!!

    There is no company that sells tails specifically for the mahina as far as I know (although the mahina will probably fit in a finfolk fabric tail). You could make your own tail!

    Yup, a competitor is much bigger and stiffer than a regular one!

    Yes, I mean underwater tricks, like flips and turns

    Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N910F met Tapatalk
    I am a long way away from doing any kind of flip or turn lol. So what got you into mermaiding?

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    Tybee mermaid, those are awesome!

    I am a work in progress. Due to health issues, I didn't learn to swim until I was 17, and even then it was only bad doggy paddle. I wanted to be a mer so bad I really worked on it, but my first tail had a competitor fin. That fin did ALL the work for me and while it made it easy, it wasn't the best to learn on because I built a lot of bad habits. I also have a lot of float issues.

    I recently took a freediving course and they really helped micromanage some of my movements and it made a world of difference, so 9 years on I am still learning!

    Contrast that with my little sister who the first time in a tail was better than anyone I've ever seen... LOL
    Thank you, Raina! That means a lot coming from you! I've been swimming forever but I really wanna get my freediving certification. Unfortunately, none of the dive shops near me offer freediving courses. Right now, all I can rely on is my swimming knowledge. It's transitioned really well when it comes to good technique and holding my breath for a long distance (60 meters!), but I really want to learn how to control my breath with water pressure thrown into the mix. We rarely dive deep enough into the pool to practice that and if we do, it's because we messed up our dive. I'm hoping that when summer nears, one of the nearby shops will host a freediving class.
    Mermaid Coralia
    Savannah, GA | Richmond, VA
    Competivie Swimmer since 2005 | Aspiring Animator
    9 Time National Champion Swimmer | 11 Time All-American Swimmer
    Art Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/abigail_richey/
    Mermaid Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tybee_mermaid/

  14. #34
    Senior Member Ransom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    109
    Go for it, Tybee and uwmerman! My recommendation is to go with an agency like AIDA, Apnea Academy, Pure Apnea, etc. Hopefully a dive shop near you offers a class soon.

    They'll start you in a pool, then go to open water once you're ready. Nothing beats immediate feedback on your monofin technique from an instructor.

    And as always, don't freedive alone; get someone trained in rescues to keep an eye on you.
    Last edited by Ransom; 11-14-2017 at 08:47 PM.

  15. #35
    Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Simi Valley, CA
    Posts
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by uwmerman View Post
    oh wow sounds like you have done a few enhancements to your monofin to fit you, that is pretty cool. I never really thought of the types of monofins. I am familiar with certain types of tails and material. How long did it take you to modify your monofin to fit your needs?
    Its about an hour or so, assuming I have the parts.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

    Let the storm rage on!

  16. #36
    Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Ryde, NSW Australia
    Posts
    4,026
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I swam with my Wave monofin for roughly a year in waist deep water, before I donned a tail. After I moved house, I continued in the shallow end for another few months because it was a new swimming place and I was scoping out which lifeguards paid attention! Some of the young boys look like they're gonna fall asleep on the job, but that's another story.

    When I started swimming in the deep end (2 metre depth), I stayed in the lane closest to where the lifeguard stands on duty. I figured if anything happens they don't have to go far to rescue me.

    Nowadays, I have the run of the pools as it were! I can swim wherever I want and not get in trouble!
    Formerly known as ireneho

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    I swam with my Wave monofin for roughly a year in waist deep water, before I donned a tail. After I moved house, I continued in the shallow end for another few months because it was a new swimming place and I was scoping out which lifeguards paid attention! Some of the young boys look like they're gonna fall asleep on the job, but that's another story.

    When I started swimming in the deep end (2 metre depth), I stayed in the lane closest to where the lifeguard stands on duty. I figured if anything happens they don't have to go far to rescue me.

    Nowadays, I have the run of the pools as it were! I can swim wherever I want and not get in trouble!
    that's interesting, how come you were scoping out which lifeguards paid attention? Is it because you wanted to be close to the ones who were watching in case something happened? I haven't yet tried a monofin in the deep end. I only just regularly swim to get more comfortable in the deep end. Working on my underwater breath hold too. How long can you hold your breath?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •