Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swimming in a tail

Swimming in a tail

I was just wondering how long it took some of you to learn to swim in a tail? I know for some people it probably came naturally and happened very quickly but there are others I'm sure it took a little bit of practice and getting used to. I have finally found a place to swim at once a week by I still have trouble getting the motion down. I would love to hear some of your comments and recommendations on learning to swim in a tail. Feedback from anyon and every one would be greatly appreciated I am determined to be a great swimmer in a tail.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    I still haven't swam in a tail, but a couple weeks ago I went too a mer meet and tried some monofins. I didn't try to move my legs separately, and I got the hang of the motion pretty quickly, I think.

It was pretty easy for me to adapt to swimming in a tail, but then again I had been swimming competitively for 13 years before I got into a tail.

My best advice would be to practice swimming without the tail and then add it once you've got your technique down. When I first started swimming, we had to start with the basics before we could build on top of it. This included getting to swim with fins.

A good way to practice your dolphin kick, if you're first starting out, is to kick on your back in a streamline. This forces you to focus on kicking from your abs and not your knees. (plus you get to breathe the entire time!) When I'm coaching, I always make my beginner swimmers kick on their backs when they're first learning how to dolphin kick just because it's so effective!

Your dolphin kick starts from your abs and flows all the way down to your toes. Your abs should be throwing your legs down and your hamstrings should be pulling your legs back up. Lots of people know there's a downward kick but many people forget about the up kick (which hurts my little swimmer soul). Your knees shouldn't really bend. They're supposed to carry the flow to your toes and that's basically it. Your toes should be pointed the entire time. The more you can point your toes, the better.

I see so many mermaids with bad technique (which pains me to watch even more). So much could be fixed if they took some time out of their tail to actually practice their kick! People get so caught up in the magic of the tail and monofin that they think they can practice without it. Always start with the basics before adding anything fancy to your swimming (or in this case kicking). Once you've got your technique down and can consistently dolphin kick at least 250 meters nonstop (on your back or stomach) without feeling super tired, then I'd say you're ready to add your tail and monofin.

I have a couple videos I recorded of me swimming for animation references on my youtube channel. You can check those out if you want a visual of good dolphin kick technique.

Reference 1

Reference 2

And I also have a video of myself doing tricks in my monofin on my mermaid channel, if you want to see that too.

Monofin Video
    Mermaid Sagittaria
    Savannah, GA | Richmond, VA
    Competitive Swimmer since 2005 | Aspiring Animator
    9 Time National Champion Swimmer | 11 Time All-American Swimmer
    Art Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/abigail_richey/
    Mermaid Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tybee_mermaid/

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    I was able to swim in a tail immediately. My form was poor, but got better. I learned about the dolphin kick in an odd way. In my teens, the family went on a vacation in Hawaii. We did slot of snorkeling. At one spot, someone swam by doing the dolphin kick while wearing bi-fins. I tried it, just imitating what I saw, and seemed to pick it up right away. I soon went back to normal kicking, as the bobbing that goes with the dolphin kick makes using a snorkel a little difficult.
    Now, 40+ years later, that memory is still with me, and made tail swimming easy.
    Also, I cannot dolphin kick without a mono fin to save my life! I cannot point my toes very well, so I like angled mono fins, where the blade is lined up with the top of my foot rather than the bottom.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kane View Post
    I still haven't swam in a tail, but a couple weeks ago I went too a mer meet and tried some monofins. I didn't try to move my legs separately, and I got the hang of the motion pretty quickly, I think.
    will you get to try with a tail soon? I appreciate your input

Quote Originally Posted by TybeeMermaid View Post
    It was pretty easy for me to adapt to swimming in a tail, but then again I had been swimming competitively for 13 years before I got into a tail.

My best advice would be to practice swimming without the tail and then add it once you've got your technique down. When I first started swimming, we had to start with the basics before we could build on top of it. This included getting to swim with fins.

A good way to practice your dolphin kick, if you're first starting out, is to kick on your back in a streamline. This forces you to focus on kicking from your abs and not your knees. (plus you get to breathe the entire time!) When I'm coaching, I always make my beginner swimmers kick on their backs when they're first learning how to dolphin kick just because it's so effective!

Your dolphin kick starts from your abs and flows all the way down to your toes. Your abs should be throwing your legs down and your hamstrings should be pulling your legs back up. Lots of people know there's a downward kick but many people forget about the up kick (which hurts my little swimmer soul). Your knees shouldn't really bend. They're supposed to carry the flow to your toes and that's basically it. Your toes should be pointed the entire time. The more you can point your toes, the better.

I see so many mermaids with bad technique (which pains me to watch even more). So much could be fixed if they took some time out of their tail to actually practice their kick! People get so caught up in the magic of the tail and monofin that they think they can practice without it. Always start with the basics before adding anything fancy to your swimming (or in this case kicking). Once you've got your technique down and can consistently dolphin kick at least 250 meters nonstop (on your back or stomach) without feeling super tired, then I'd say you're ready to add your tail and monofin.

I have a couple videos I recorded of me swimming for animation references on my youtube channel. You can check those out if you want a visual of good dolphin kick technique.

Reference 1

Reference 2

And I also have a video of myself doing tricks in my monofin on my mermaid channel, if you want to see that too.

Monofin Video
    wow ow your form looks incredible!!! I would love to be able to swim like that. I'll bet swimming for 13 years competitively certainly helped out. Thank you for the video visuals they will certainly be helpful and thank you for all of your tips. I only wish I had someone to teach me to swim. I have the breast stroke done pretty good, I just picked that up myself but you just glide underwater. I certainly do not move that gracefully lol. How many tails do you have? I only have two fabric tails and until I get comfortable in them I do not want to move to a heavier tail.

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    I was able to swim in a tail immediately. My form was poor, but got better. I learned about the dolphin kick in an odd way. In my teens, the family went on a vacation in Hawaii. We did slot of snorkeling. At one spot, someone swam by doing the dolphin kick while wearing bi-fins. I tried it, just imitating what I saw, and seemed to pick it up right away. I soon went back to normal kicking, as the bobbing that goes with the dolphin kick makes using a snorkel a little difficult.
    Now, 40+ years later, that memory is still with me, and made tail swimming easy.
    Also, I cannot dolphin kick without a mono fin to save my life! I cannot point my toes very well, so I like angled mono fins, where the blade is lined up with the top of my foot rather than the bottom.
    I can only really move in a tail by using my arms. I sort bounced around but I used my head and shoulders too much. That's awesome you have been swimming for so long. I certainly hope to stick at it long term. And as long as you keep at it every once in a while that body generally does not lose that muscle memory. What was the first tail you tried?

My first tail was the one in my picture. Its from The Two Tails. It has worn out and been discarded.
    <-----
    Currently I have one form FinFun, a custom made tail that looks like the tail of Toothless the dragon, and a self-made tail for my Lunocet monofin.
    Although Ive been swimming for a long time, I have never done it much in any given year, and I'm not very good. Being a good swimmer is not needed to enjoy tail swimming, you just need to be competent, to be safe. For example, you should be able to tread water with just your arms, and swim to the side with just your arms.

When I swim underwater, I find the dolphin stroke motion works best if it starts at my head. I can usually get the stroke to sort of "lock in", and it seems to become almost effortless. When that happens, I can do 25 yards in one breath.

Let the storm rage on!

Quote Originally Posted by uwmerman View Post
    wow ow your form looks incredible!!! I would love to be able to swim like that. I'll bet swimming for 13 years competitively certainly helped out. Thank you for the video visuals they will certainly be helpful and thank you for all of your tips. I only wish I had someone to teach me to swim. I have the breast stroke done pretty good, I just picked that up myself but you just glide underwater. I certainly do not move that gracefully lol. How many tails do you have? I only have two fabric tails and until I get comfortable in them I do not want to move to a heavier tail.
    You're welcome! I currently have 2 tails and I made both of them. One of them is a sequin tail that I use for events, parties, and photo shoots. The other is a fabric tail that I use for leisure swimming and personal mermaid training.

The key to good body movement underwater is to constantly be aware of how your body position is affecting your momentum. (I've reached the point where I can dive and glide across a 25-meter pool without using a single kick! )

Good form starts with a good stretching routine. Since you can't be at the pool every day, make sure you stretch and keep your body flexible. We stretch every morning for 15 minutes before we dive in to swim. (Try to set goals for your flexibility like touching your toes or being able to point your toes all the way.) After that, do a short ab work out session. It doesn't have to be long, but try to work out for at least 10 minutes. Having a strong core is crucial for a good dolphin kick. Every little bit helps and ab workouts definitely pay off to make you a better dolphin kicker.

Like I mentioned before, I highly recommend you learn to kick without the monofin first. I've seen too many people come to the pool with fins and not know how to use them. They only end up slowing themselves down since they're kicking with improper technique. Kick without the monofin and really pay attention to how you're moving through the water. Try tweaking certain movements and positions until you finally get an efficient kick. Again, the best way to find that kick isn't actually underwater, but on your back above the water in a streamline.
    Mermaid Sagittaria
    Savannah, GA | Richmond, VA
    Competitive Swimmer since 2005 | Aspiring Animator
    9 Time National Champion Swimmer | 11 Time All-American Swimmer
    Art Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/abigail_richey/
    Mermaid Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tybee_mermaid/

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    will you get to try with a tail soon? I appreciate your input
    For sure! I just need to pick the right monofin. xD

I got it down immediately due to the following advice: the movement (of the dolphin kick) starts at your core, NOT at your knees.

After a long session of tailswimming, your core should ache (well, in the beginning at least )

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    My first tail was the one in my picture. Its from The Two Tails. It has worn out and been discarded.
    <-----
    Currently I have one form FinFun, a custom made tail that looks like the tail of Toothless the dragon, and a self-made tail for my Lunocet monofin.
    Although Ive been swimming for a long time, I have never done it much in any given year, and I'm not very good. Being a good swimmer is not needed to enjoy tail swimming, you just need to be competent, to be safe. For example, you should be able to tread water with just your arms, and swim to the side with just your arms.

When I swim underwater, I find the dolphin stroke motion works best if it starts at my head. I can usually get the stroke to sort of "lock in", and it seems to become almost effortless. When that happens, I can do 25 yards in one breath.
    now that sounds like a pretty cool design. What is the material made from that Finfun tail? Yeah I'm not very good but at the same time I agree as you as one is safe and comfortable it is very enjoyable. I have not yet attempted to go in the deep end of water nor will I until I get the hang of the motions without the tail first. I appreciate your insight.

Quote Originally Posted by TybeeMermaid View Post
    You're welcome! I currently have 2 tails and I made both of them. One of them is a sequin tail that I use for events, parties, and photo shoots. The other is a fabric tail that I use for leisure swimming and personal mermaid training.

The key to good body movement underwater is to constantly be aware of how your body position is affecting your momentum. (I've reached the point where I can dive and glide across a 25-meter pool without using a single kick! )

Good form starts with a good stretching routine. Since you can't be at the pool every day, make sure you stretch and keep your body flexible. We stretch every morning for 15 minutes before we dive in to swim. (Try to set goals for your flexibility like touching your toes or being able to point your toes all the way.) After that, do a short ab work out session. It doesn't have to be long, but try to work out for at least 10 minutes. Having a strong core is crucial for a good dolphin kick. Every little bit helps and ab workouts definitely pay off to make you a better dolphin kicker.

Like I mentioned before, I highly recommend you learn to kick without the monofin first. I've seen too many people come to the pool with fins and not know how to use them. They only end up slowing themselves down since they're kicking with improper technique. Kick without the monofin and really pay attention to how you're moving through the water. Try tweaking certain movements and positions until you finally get an efficient kick. Again, the best way to find that kick isn't actually underwater, but on your back above the water in a streamline.
    that is amazing, how long did it take you to make your sequin tail? I would love to do a photo shoot in a tail someday how many have you done? and that sounds like great advice, I'm a personal trainer on the side and I couldn't agree more that stretching and maintaining flexibility is a must. I docile myself underwater when I try to learn. It that is a good point to try on my back getting the kick down. I appreciate the tip I've been trying to practice once a week with out a monofin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kane View Post
    For sure! I just need to pick the right monofin. xD
    Sounds exciting what kind of tail will you swim in?

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidLyara View Post
    I got it down immediately due to the following advice: the movement (of the dolphin kick) starts at your core, NOT at your knees.

After a long session of tailswimming, your core should ache (well, in the beginning at least )
    sounds like the core should be very sore lol. Btw I love the color or your tail in your picture. It's one of my favorite colors.

sounds like the core should be very sore lol. Btw I love the color or your tail in your picture. It's one of my favorite colors.
    Aw thanks! I'm a red mermaid at heart. By the way, what kind of monofin do you use? Because I also have trouble with the dolphin kick if the monofin is very weak (such as a finfun monofin).

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-N910F met Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidLyara View Post
    Aw thanks! I'm a red mermaid at heart. By the way, what kind of monofin do you use? Because I also have trouble with the dolphin kick if the monofin is very weak (such as a finfun monofin).

red is a beautiful color and you look amazing in red I actually have a monofin from magictail which I got from Germany and I have a monofin from suntail that I got from the United States. The magictail seems like a harder surface and the suntail is more harder plastic if that at all makes sense? I'm wanting to get a ruby color tail which I think is a beautiful color. Which kind of monofin do you use? That's something for me to think about if I have a weak or worn monofin.

Here's an article that'll help you get the movement down - https://www.deeperblue.com/monofin-freediving-101. It's mer-related so I hope you like it

Unfortunately I can't speak from experience, I wasn't able to build up my technique to the point I'd be comfortable giving my own advice.
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

red is a beautiful color and you look amazing in red I actually have a monofin from magictail which I got from Germany and I have a monofin from suntail that I got from the United States. The magictail seems like a harder surface and the suntail is more harder plastic if that at all makes sense? I'm wanting to get a ruby color tail which I think is a beautiful color. Which kind of monofin do you use? That's something for me to think about if I have a weak or worn monofin.
    I have a hydra and a competitor monofin. I love both, especially my competitor and it's easy to do a dolphin kick in either.

One of the monofins magictail uses is very very weak, like the finfun. Which magictail monofin do you have?

A monofin with better propulsion is MUCH more fun to swim with . Certainly worth the investment imo

I would like to see your future ruby red tail! for some reason, I do not see a lot of red merfolk.

Last edited by MermaidLiara; 11-14-2017 at 06:10 AM.

now that sounds like a pretty cool design. What is the material made from that Finfun tail? Yeah I'm not very good but at the same time I agree as you as one is safe and comfortable it is very enjoyable. I have not yet attempted to go in the deep end of water nor will I until I get the hang of the motions without the tail first. I appreciate your insight.
    The Finfun tail is a fabric. Its monofin is made from some sort of recycled polypropylene type plastic. Its covered with a Neoprene cover. In that cover are two holes into which you insert your feet. The stretchness of the neoprene holds your feet to the monofin.

I found the monofin to be a little soft for my taste. I stiffened it by adding a polycabonate doubler for where my feet are. Then I found the neoprene cover would not hold my feet to the fin, given the stiffer fin allowed for a stronger stroke. I added a second neoprene strap that goes over my feet. Also, as I cannot point my toes very well, I heated and bent the monofin 30 degrees, with the bend line just beyond my toes.

Let the storm rage on!