Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Uk mer from Brighton :)

  1. #1

    Uk mer from Brighton :)

    Hey, I've been a forum member for aaages but never posted much as I've been more active on the UkMerpod FB page than anywhere else. I finally made a post the other day the realised I had never introduced myself. Oops, better late than never!

    Anyway, I'm called Emily and I'm based in Brighton in the Uk, where I run the local branch of NoTanx freediving club 2 nights a week.

    I got into mermaiding about 2 or 3 years ago after feeling really disconnected from my body (if that makes sense!) after having a child and a chronic back pain issue for several years.

    Basically I just felt afraid to move my body unselfconsciously and it was really affecting my happiness and mental health generally. I knew I had to address what i was feeling but didn't really know how - but I had this memory of swimming underwater as a child, and of accidentally doing the undulating dolphin kick, and of it feeling really natural and like I was really 'in' my body and in the moment. I really linked that idea to feeling like a mermaid, and just kept thinking how cool it would be if there was somewhere that people who felt like I did could learn to swim like that and start to feel better about themselves.

    To cut a long story short I joined my local freediving club with the idea of eventually creating the place where people could learn to reconnect with their bodies through freediving and mermaiding. 3 years on and I run a body positive mermaid business runnign mermaid experiences in small private pools and have just started a collaboration with the head freediving coach at my club running monthly mer-meets and holidays. It's basically changed my life, and I really want others to get to have a similarly transformative experience that I've had. I'm a curvy mer and one of the things that I love about the mermaid community is how inclusive it is of people of all sizes and nobody has ever tried to make me feel like I shouldn't be doing this because I'm not super slim.

    I would love to meet more body positive mers and especially people who are in the UK/South Coast/Brighton area

    This is me at Dive4Life in Germany last year. I'm going back in a couple of weeks and I can't wait! I'm the one in the yellow tail.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Ransom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    105
    Welcome Emily! I'm a former freediver myself and want to get back into the sport soon.

    Have a great time on Mernetwork! I'll definitely be sure to look you up next I'm in the English south. I've been to Brighton and it's beautiful

    That pool is AMAZING. Where's it located in Germany?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Welcome Emily! I'm a former freediver myself and want to get back into the sport soon.

    Have a great time on Mernetwork! I'll definitely be sure to look you up next I'm in the English south. I've been to Brighton and it's beautiful

    That pool is AMAZING. Where's it located in Germany?
    AW thanks for the welcome! Yeah come and drop into a freediving session if you're ever near Brighton!

    The pool is in Siegburg near Cologne, it's 20metres deep and is situated in a hotel, so its very convenient and just the perfect place to dive as far as I'm concerned. You don't have to book specific dive slots, you can dive all day which makes it so relaxed!

  4. #4
    Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Lakeland, FL
    Posts
    1,091
    Add Slim on Facebook
    Glad you join this group of mers
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!
    ~Slim the Florida Merman~
    Slim's Instagram

  5. #5
    Hi there from a mer at the other end of the country! I envy you south coast lot and your warmer waters, but love coming down there once every few summers. And had no idea there was a UKMerpod page! Might check that out

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Cosmica View Post
    Hi there from a mer at the other end of the country! I envy you south coast lot and your warmer waters, but love coming down there once every few summers. And had no idea there was a UKMerpod page! Might check that out
    Youíre not missing much. The weather might be a bit warmer in summer, but the waterís still freezing!

    I would definitely check out the uk Merpod page on Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/groups/149959...?ref=bookmarks

    And, if you fancy swimming in warmer waters... https://m.facebook.com/events/152552...&ref=bookmarks


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by LouLouBelle View Post
    You’re not missing much. The weather might be a bit warmer in summer, but the water’s still freezing!

    I would definitely check out the uk Merpod page on Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/groups/149959...?ref=bookmarks

    And, if you fancy swimming in warmer waters... https://m.facebook.com/events/152552...&ref=bookmarks


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HAHAHA if you think it's freezing there, try coming up here and having a dip in the North Sea XD honestly most of the time I can't stand it, yet there's still a load of crazy divers and stuff here who I've seen going out even in cold weather. I'd go somewhere warmer for a bit if I had the time or money.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Cosmica View Post
    HAHAHA if you think it's freezing there, try coming up here and having a dip in the North Sea XD honestly most of the time I can't stand it, yet there's still a load of crazy divers and stuff here who I've seen going out even in cold weather. I'd go somewhere warmer for a bit if I had the time or money.
    I lived in Scotland till I was 27 - and believe me, the weather might be warmer down here in summer, but the water never heats up!

    Thatís why Iím so excited about the trip to Egypt - I canít wait to swim in my tail in a warmer climate!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •