Thread: Beginner tail maker..

Beginner tail maker..

I'm not living with a rich family. And it's hard to get materials.

I want to make a silicone tail as my first mermaid tail. I was wondering what type of silicone should I use and it has to be something that has to be mixed in. Not so I can put to the side and use and by time I want to use it it's already cured but since now how busy I work at my job current job. I would like some examples of what silicone you guys use if you made it your own tail out of that if you have any swatches I will more than likely love to see them if you have to send some off to my address that would be great all you have to do is message me in my message box. And also what type of adhesive silicone would do great for pasteing two sides of flukes together and the mold I can use to hold up a clay mold. I know that I will use monster clay which is a non dry clay that has oil in it. And how to size myself correctly without spending much make a mold of my legs and lower stomach. And what type of monofins great just for practicing. And what type of monofin would do great in a fluke/mermaid tail! I have been doing deep research I'm just stuck. I need my mermaid sisters and brothers to help this poor gupie out!

Sent from my SM-J320V using MerNetwork mobile app

I'm curious about why your first tail has to be silicone? As you already know silicone tails cost more money, take a lot of time to create, there is a lot you have to learn in order to make one, etc.

You could look into making a hybrid tail - such as getting neoprene and covering it with silicone. I *think* what a few mers are using is Aquarium grade silicone to make cheaper silicone tails. You must be EXTREMELY careful with what kind of silicone you are using. It needs to be safe!

Here are some of those hybrid silicone tails I am thinking of:
    Mermaid Momo's tail:
    https://mernetwork.com/index/showthr...2!-Hybrid-tail

Mermaid Mazu (She creates a lot of these tails & sells them):
    https://mernetwork.com/index/showthr...-hybrid-take-2

Painted neoprene tails are nice too. Hannah Mermaid started off with a painted neoprene tail.
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Alea View Post
    I'm curious about why your first tail has to be silicone? As you already know silicone tails cost more money, take a lot of time to create, there is a lot you have to learn in order to make one, etc.

You could look into making a hybrid tail - such as getting neoprene and covering it with silicone. I *think* what a few mers are using is Aquarium grade silicone to make cheaper silicone tails. You must be EXTREMELY careful with what kind of silicone you are using. It needs to be safe!

Here are some of those hybrid silicone tails I am thinking of:
    Mermaid Momo's tail:
    https://mernetwork.com/index/showthr...2!-Hybrid-tail

Mermaid Mazu (She creates a lot of these tails & sells them):
    https://mernetwork.com/index/showthr...-hybrid-take-2

Painted neoprene tails are nice too. Hannah Mermaid started off with a painted neoprene tail.
    I like Mazu's tail! So pretty! But for the reason why I pick silicone is because I'm an artist and I'm picky on how somethings look and silicone is great for fins and flukes if you get them right

Senior Member Pod of The South Rebela Hunter's Avatar
    I HIGHLY suggest NOT having a silicone tail as your first tail.

Trust me, I'm an artist, too! I know that struggle of wanting something to fit your vision and that nobody else can make it except you. But, really, you need to start out with a monofin or fabric tail to get the hang of having your legs bound together! It's also very hard to get in and out of a silicone tail in an emergency, and silicone neither floats nor sinks in water, making it to where it could tire you out veeeery fast.

Now, you could do what Alea recommended, and coat neoprene in silicone, but also make the fins and the fluke detailing out of silicone - it's much easier and less expensive than full silicone for sure.

The only silicone I hear and see being used by most if not all mers is the skin and environment safe Dragonskin silicone from Smooth-On, which will cost you a lot. You'll have to do some research on any other silicone to make sure it's skin safe [and environment safe, if you plan on using your tail anywhere like an ocean, lake, pond, or spring].

In any case, I hope this helps and I wish you luck!
    <3
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)

Hobbyist Mermaid & Orca Enthusiast
    DeviantART || Facebook || Instagram

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    It's not the best idea to get a silicone tail to start with. A few people do it, and its fine, but in general it would be smart to start with a monofin/fabric tail.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania The Water Phoenix's Avatar
    I agree, start practicing with just a monofin and then get a fabric tail to get you used to mermaiding. Then if you're comfortable swimming in a tail you can make the leap to a silicone tail! I'm making my first silicone tail and I'm only 17 but I got my first fabric tail when I was 11 and I have been swimming for much longer. Best of luck!
    Be the pilot of your dreams

**The Water Phoenix: A Western Australian mer**

Instagram: thephoenixmer

Quote Originally Posted by Rebela Hunter View Post
    I HIGHLY suggest NOT having a silicone tail as your first tail.

Trust me, I'm an artist, too! I know that struggle of wanting something to fit your vision and that nobody else can make it except you. But, really, you need to start out with a monofin or fabric tail to get the hang of having your legs bound together! It's also very hard to get in and out of a silicone tail in an emergency, and silicone neither floats nor sinks in water, making it to where it could tire you out veeeery fast.

Now, you could do what Alea recommended, and coat neoprene in silicone, but also make the fins and the fluke detailing out of silicone - it's much easier and less expensive than full silicone for sure.

The only silicone I hear and see being used by most if not all mers is the skin and environment safe Dragonskin silicone from Smooth-On, which will cost you a lot. You'll have to do some research on any other silicone to make sure it's skin safe [and environment safe, if you plan on using your tail anywhere like an ocean, lake, pond, or spring].

In any case, I hope this helps and I wish you luck!
    <3
    I agree with you and I seen all of the risk and know all of the rules. Like not swimming alone. And which I know you know everything like if i start to panic when trying a trick. Someone has to be there to help me out of the water. I will post something about the idea I have for my tail redesign! And I felt how it feels for my legs to be bounded...tightly!! The way I did it hurt and bruised my ankles right at the bone while swimming with regular swimming fins. My sister has it on her goPro I'll just have to ask her for the video. But other than that I was going to base my tail making based of off Momo' s process.

Senior Member Pod of the Midwest mermaid mazu's Avatar
    I went with a hybrid as my first tail. I have a thread on my making of it including all the ways I messed up. The link to my second tail that was added up higher in the thread (ty by the way) was a method I tried and failed through my own dumbassery lol I actually use the same method as momo currently. There's a thread with maybe 20 tails ive made under the classifieds section for my etsy shop. I'll answer any question that i can.