Thread: How to come up with your mersona..

Senior Member Pod of New England MermanJamie's Avatar

How to come up with your mersona..

I've been trying to think of ideas for my mersona for a while... A lot of people say relate it to you, but all I can think about when I do that is think about singing and how much I love the ocean...does anyone have any tips for creating your mersona? I really don't know how to approach it at this point, so I hope I can find something to do..

Hi. I'm still working on mine, and it was a head scratcher to start, but I think I'm starting to get it.

I started with location. I live by Lake Erie, so I decided I'm a cold water mer (plus I'm kinda curvy, so this makes sense to me). I then researched some of the local wild life to draw inspiration for what I want my tail to look like (when I finally invest in silicone lol). As far as personality, I looked at myself and took some traits of my personality and personified them. There's a good chance that the more time you spend as your mersona, the more the details will fill out. Mine's a prankster and a little childish. she is easily bribed by food, and doesn't really know human lingo.

The hardest part, to me, is the name. I hope some of this helped.

Mersonas are what you make of it. Some are more fantastical and sound like fairy tales, while others might turn more to the realistic side and are accredited to your life.

My mersona is...myself. A 18 year old which, happens to have a tail and a connection to the ocean. Living life as a human while hiding my true mer-identity. (Which is more on the realistic side, cause nobody around me knows i have a tail).
    The world sees us as Merfolk
    We see ourselves as a Pod, as a family
    We live to swim

I'm not even sure if I should keep Jamie as the name. I just used what I use as my name on land, but Jamie doesn't sound like a mer name at all! I definitely like your idea, Aquos Savar, of having your mersona reflect yourself in real life. In my case, no one around me knows about my being a mer, but it's kind of easy to tell to me, because of my singing voice. The deep vibrato definitely shows to me when I sing old sea songs, so that works. Maybe my voice is what fostered my connection to the sea! I really don't know, but I guess I could just toss that out there.

Have you seen Oona's thread on it? It's in the same classification as this one; perhaps it'll give you some ideas.

I see mersonas as connected to your ideals -- a combination of who you are now and what you want in the future. All the best!

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    I think its pretty fun to have a ideal for yourself as a mermaid. Mersonas are really fun to imagine.
    I haven't really put work into my ''mersona'', it just is based off an ideal of myself; A collector who loves to find hidden treasures and has a tidal wave of a personality.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Have you seen Oona's thread on it? It's in the same classification as this one; perhaps it'll give you some ideas.

I see mersonas as connected to your ideals -- a combination of who you are now and what you want in the future. All the best!
    Can you give me the link to the thread? It might help a lot, but I'm not sure which thread you mean. If you give me the link, I'll look at it and see what I can come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by MermanJamie View Post
    Can you give me the link to the thread? It might help a lot, but I'm not sure which thread you mean. If you give me the link, I'll look at it and see what I can come up with.
    Sure, here you go: http://mernetwork.com/index/showthread.php?t=16114
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

My mersona loves to play tabletop RPGs and enjoys operating heavy machinery-- wait no, that's just me.
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

Senior Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Holly's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Holly on MySpace
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCorvidae View Post
    My mersona loves to play tabletop RPGs and enjoys operating heavy machinery-- wait no, that's just me.
    XD

Sent from my SM-J327P using MerNetwork mobile app
    "Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me."

Psalm 42:7

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCorvidae View Post
    That is awesome! Lol, you are amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by MermanJamie View Post
    That is awesome! Lol, you are amazing!
    Thank you.
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com