Thread: Proper care for your tail

Proper care for your tail

I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on how to properly care for your tails? It's something I never really thought of. I only have two fabric tails but I feel like they are getting worn and I don't really k ow the proper means of caring for it if this makes sense? I plan on getting another one next year but I do want to take care of it properly. If anyone on here could give me some pointers and advice that would be greatly appreciated

Quite a few of those videos are for silicone tails, though they are lovely.

Fabric tails typically have care instructions on the tag like clothes would. In any case, you can wash them by hand with cool water and leave them out to dry. Heat and direct sunlight could fade your tail and cause it to lose its stretch. Don’t put it in the dryer or lay it in the sun to dry. I usually flop it over the shower curtain in the bathroom.

I would recommend rinsing your tail with cool water after use, since chlorine tends to eat at things. I remove the monofin from my tails and roll up the skins and set them in a drawer.

Bear in mind that sometimes, despite our best efforts, like an old pair of jeans, fabric tails give out. They wear too many holes, they become translucent, they fade over time. Just the cost of doing business, sadly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Twilight darkens, yet there in the shade,
    Lies a glimmering shadow, the wild mermaid;

As night draws ever closer, there's a choice to be made--
    Will you stay as you are, or be delivered to the waves?

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper

Whisper basically covered it all already, but one thing I have learnt is that it's very important to take your monofin out when you dry your tail (even if its just for transporting it home before you get the chance to wash it properly). Leaving it in can make it hard for the fabric to contract again and causes over stretching, and if you have it hanging at all it can cause the fabric to stretch lengthways if you have a 4way stretch fabric, and thus you end up with a tail that is too long for you (the problem with my current fabric tail). Don't wring your tail to get excess water out as this can cause the fibres to warp.

Also remember that if you swim in chlorine, chlorine eats into the fabric. Rinsing your tail in fresh water once you're out of the pool will help some, but every chlorine swim will cause damage. It is simply the nature of the beast.
    ~Mermaid Salacia~
    Sea Witch of South Australia
    https://www.facebook.com/themermaidsalacia/
    mermaidsalacia.weebly.com/

Mermaid Kane thank you for the videos.

Mermaid Whisper thank you for your advice. I will have to keep in mind especially when I get my new tail. I certainly wasn't rinsing it in cool water after a swim. And I will not lay it out in the us to dry or put it in a dryer.

Mermaid_Salacia thank you as well for your advice. I definitely did not know it was recommended to take the monofin out for drying and I know I've wrung my tail dry before too or tried to. Btw I love your black tail

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Whisper View Post
    Quite a few of those videos are for silicone tails, though they are lovely.
    Hmm, I didn't really think of that. xD At least he has videos for when/if he gets a silicone some day??

I will probably get a silicone tail someday so the videos were much appreciated Mermaid Kane

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    I soak my tails and swim wear in wetsuit wash for a few mins, then rinse clean and hang to dry in the bathroom or on the balcony in the shade.
    My homemade green tail has lasted me 2 years now, its only recently started to fade and get saggy.
    Formerly known as ireneho