Thread: Can I use any metal wire if I seal it?

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Union of Pods of the North

Can I use any metal wire if I seal it?

Looking at making a circle for mermaiding and I'm wondering if any wire is okay as long as it's sealed? I can't rust if it's sealed with say clear cast, right?

Senior Member Pod of The South Rebela Hunter's Avatar
    When you say a circle, do you mean one that you can swim through?
    'And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.' - Matthew 4:19 (KJV)

Hobbyist Mermaid & Orca Enthusiast
    DeviantART || Facebook || Instagram

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    The problem with sealing metal is there seem to always be cracks and dings. The water gets in, and rust begins. Also, when the seal starts to peal off, it looks terrible.
    Options:
    If this is in fresh water, don't worry about it. The rust process will take months.
    If its salt water, and for only shot periods of time (hours), wash off the salt when you are done.
    If this is something to be in salt water for a long time, use a metal that does not rust. Stainless steel and Titanium are both excellent. Copper will tarnish, but it will take awhile.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Member Undisclosed Pod
    Union of Pods of the North
    Sorry I meant circlet **** my phone must have changed it before I noticed
    I will be mainly swimming in chlorine and salt water do I do need something rust proof
    My problem is
    A. I want it to be gold in colour
    B. There are two kinds of stainless steel and only surgical will not rust
    C. I can't find any of your suggested ones to buy

However, someone on fb recommended Worbla do you think that will work?

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    Worbla is a plastic, so that will not rust. It should be fine.

Most any stainless steel jewelry these days is alloy 316, which is a surgical stainless. It has to be, as other alloys have Nickel, and many persons have Nickel allergies. It is widely available, and internet searches will find it.
    If you want raw materials to make your own, I get my stainless steel from McMaster Carr. https://www.mcmaster.com
    For example, here is some wire: https://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-steel-wire/=1ahcnf4
    If you want to solder it, get lead free acid core solder, and some stainless steel flux (which is also acid), again from McMaster.

Finally, if you want gold color, nothing beats Gold in looking both golden and being corrosion resistant. Yes, I know about the cost. But it is still less than the silicone tail.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Storm View Post
    Finally, if you want gold color, nothing beats Gold in looking both golden and being corrosion resistant. Yes, I know about the cost. But it is still less than the silicone tail.
    I second this. I'm personally skeptical about the surgical stainless, tbh. Salt water has been able to rust through almost anything that was supposed to be rust proof. The exception of course being precious metals like gold.
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com