Thread: Crafty Mer from Maine

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Add Ocoree on Facebook

Crafty Mer from Maine

Hiya folks! I've been lurking a while, but figure I should start actually doing something and post a hello!

I've only recently allowed myself to become truly fascinated with mermaids as a fantasy dragon/beastie and dinosaur artist (mainly because of the whole you know, outsider in a new area that needs to act tough and independent, and mers are considered the whole stereotype girls' favorite thing next to unicorns as per school bullies - fun!). This stems from way back in childhood with a growing love for anything water. As far as I can remember it was easy to get me into water, nearly impossible to get me out! Ever since watching the original Flipper (not the one with kid-Elijah Wood, but the one that had the blue fake dolphin in some scenes) I've taught myself more or less how to swim like a dolphin around the age of 6-ish. Didn't know at the time that it was actually a legit swim method with the exact name of 'dolphin kick' until much later when I was getting certified as an open water diver!

It's been a few years since I last dove, but I never lost my passion for swimming with strong fins, and the speed that comes with it. When I discovered there is such a thing as a monofin, oh I wanted one with a passion! Though it wouldn't be until a few years more that I discovered Hey! Mermaiding is a real thing, and looks like a blast to boot because as an artist - why not?

The last few months has been a mixture of concept works for various designs, and planning out my approach into making my own tail from the bottom up (the joys of being a low-wage artist means one gets creative). My roommate has already more or less pegged me as a mer, my stepmom is enthusiastic to the point of sketching out classes for me to teach mermaiding and finding potential students even though I'm nowhere near that point myself, and my blood family don't know what to make of it. So, it'll be a fun exploration in this field of lifestyle.

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    Welcome to the mernetwork
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

Welcome Ocoree!

There're lots of artists here you can share tips with, and I'm sure you'll get loads of help on your journey. All the best!
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Add Ocoree on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Welcome Ocoree!

There're lots of artists here you can share tips with, and I'm sure you'll get loads of help on your journey. All the best!
    Thanks for the welcome guys! It's been really fun sharing my project so far. I just hope when I hit the water officially with it, that I'll swim rather than flounder ^_^;

Hi and welcome! I'm also an artist so I know that struggle. I hope you share your work with us soon! I'd love to see it!
    Mermaid Sagittaria
    Savannah, GA | Richmond, VA
    Competitive Swimmer since 2005 | Aspiring Animator
    9 Time National Champion Swimmer | 11 Time All-American Swimmer
    Art Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/abigail_richey/
    Mermaid Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tybee_mermaid/