Thread: Doing hospital visits

Doing hospital visits

So I have seen a lot of talk and interest about doing hospital visits. there seems to be a lot of confusion as to what goes on and what is allowed so ill tell you my story.

I do hospital visits in costume and as a wrangler for two hospitals in Tucson and one in Phoenix. We come early and are given a changing area. Then a nurse is assigned to us and takes us to the different wards. The kids don't know we are coming. its better this way in case they were sleeping and missed us.

We have one wrangler with a storage bin full of Toys for ages up to teens. we have things like lego kits, dolls, comics, toddler toys, and coloring books. No glitter or crafts. You don't do crafts. these toys are donated throughout the year from members of the group.

The nurse will go in first and see if they are awake or want to see us. she tells us "7-year old boy" and we look for toys for him. We then enter the room and talk in character and take some photos. The family has to agree that we can share them and sign a form that the nurse gives them. I can't share any photos because the release doesn't include sharing on this platform. maybe I can find some photos outside of the rooms later.

important things to understand: we dont visit kids that are highly contagious often. there are some rooms (rarely) where some of us had to wear masks and gowns and boots and only a few characters go in. being in a wheelchair, you only need the mask and gowns. the tail should not drag on the floor for those rooms or you just cant do that room. you will be asked to sanitize your hands if you make contact with any of the kids. there are dispensers outside of all the rooms.

Some kids will pull your heartstrings but try not to cry. it's all about keeping them happy. One girl would not let go of my finger want wanted me to comb her dolls hair. I almost lost iiiit! so cuute!!
    another kid we came to see was wearing a mask and gown but was very grumpy and didnt want to walk with us down the hall because she didnt feel pretty. she was so upset she had to wear those things and looked almost embarrassed.

NEVER ask "how are you doing" or say "feel better". When first walking in, i like to comment on what they are watching and other things in the room and ask them about those. and i leave by saying "see ya later!"

these visits can last a long time so keep up your energy! the longest one i did was close to 5 hours! and each visit to each kid last only about 5 minutes.

I hope this helps!

(sorry for the terrbile grammar, but i am waay behind on paperwork for a joint venture i want to do. )
    come find Mermaid-Odette on facebook!
    my website is here
    instagram

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KahWlYkRbiGo8" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>via GIPHY

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I do hospital visits too! They don't want us to wear mermaid tops, i always wear a dress or something with my tail and the kids get a kick out of it

Great tips!!! Thanks for sharing

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Seaspray Mermaid's Avatar
    Follow Seaspray Mermaid On Twitter Add Seaspray Mermaid on Facebook Add Seaspray Mermaid on Google+
    Follow Seaspray Mermaid on Tumblr Visit Seaspray Mermaid's Youtube Channel
    This is great, thank you!
    Why blend in when you were so obviously destined to stand out?

happy to share what I can!
    come find Mermaid-Odette on facebook!
    my website is here
    instagram

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/KahWlYkRbiGo8" width="480" height="360" frameborder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>via GIPHY