Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Professional Mermen?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    "If mermaids are the soft pretty ones, we need to be the killer mermonsters."

Sevryn, have you EVER read anything about the legends of mermaids? You need to stop smoking seaweed and do some research.

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    I laughed to hard at this. I'll be looking into that movie that was suggested to see how close it matches my mersona.

Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post

Sevryn, have you EVER read anything about the legends of mermaids? You need to stop smoking seaweed and do some research.
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

Yea actually I have, no need to be rude. And it kinda proves my point because how many professional mermaids actually go for their scary version? Look around, 9 out of 10 times it's going to be the pretty version. Hannah, Melissa, Kariel, Raina, Kat, Hyli, The Weeki Wachee mermaids, and I can keep going if you'd like, there's way more. I'm speaking from a marketing standpoint, the pretty mermaid niche is pretty much filled by, well, pretty mermaids. Hence my point that we merMEN probably need to switch up our tactics.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Sevryn View Post
    Yea actually I have, no need to be rude. And it kinda proves my point because how many professional mermaids actually go for their scary version? Look around, 9 out of 10 times it's going to be the pretty version. Hannah, Melissa, Kariel, Raina, Kat, Hyli, The Weeki Wachee mermaids, and I can keep going if you'd like, there's way more. I'm speaking from a marketing standpoint, the pretty mermaid niche is pretty much filled by, well, pretty mermaids. Hence my point that we merMEN probably need to switch up our tactics.

The best defence is success, Sev

I'm not sure what the opportunities are for scary mers, but I for one am excited to find out.
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    The best defence is success, Sev

I'm not sure what the opportunities are for scary mers, but I for one am excited to find out.
    Exactly. Kids aren't going to want ''scary merman monsters'', unfortunately. I don't know where/how/for who you'd work.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Hmmm....yeah, my kid hates clowns now even though the one I hired was was an ordinary clown who did balloon animals. What can I do this year? I know, I'll hire a scary sea monster who's going to give my kid nightmares and guarantee years of future therapy.

BIG market for THAT.

The reason the pretty mers are so successful is because that's what the market wants. You can brand yourself any way you want, and even be great at it, but if no one wants to hire that scary merman, you're gonna starve. If you want to be a scary mer-monster privately, that's your thing. But if you're looking to make money, GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT.

I'm not being rude. I'm being a realist.

Kids aren't going to want scary merman monsters? Lol What kids have you been talking to? Kids love scary things! Especially when it comes to animals and creatures. I currently work with The MerFriends based out of Texas and we do a mix of different kinds of events, not just kids stuff. My personal mission is animal conservation so I'm more focused on work involving aquariums and raising awareness. Kid's parties are great, but I'd rather try to save some sharks. I don't feel like this is a career that is money driven, rather it's more passion driven. And I'd happily take a side job to help get by or starve on the street before I'd be a sellout. If you're only out to make money this is the wrong career path.

Last edited by Sevryn; 01-09-2018 at 11:29 AM.

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    The reason the pretty mers are so successful is because that's what the market wants.
    Except on Freeform.
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Dan View Post
    Except on Freeform.
    Wish I could've seen her for myself. That was badass.

Quote Originally Posted by Merman Dan View Post
    Except on Freeform.
    Omg so much thank you, I was trying to find this myself!

While I don't have any advice for breaking out of the stereotype for men, (I'm a chick in a male-dominated industry, I've never tried the other way around, lol) I do have an idea for setting yourself apart from other mers; learn some magic.

I have a local professional pirate that I've run into a couple of times, named Commodore Mayhem. The guy is probably the biggest in our local field. He shows up as a guest at cons, can frequently be found in St. Augustine's pirate museum to give tours and give even more background information on exhibits, and is great with the public. Now central Florida is full of pirates and pirate enthusiasts. (Myself included.) It might take a little bit of time and money to get yourself a costume and learn up on pirate history, but Mayhem stands out from the literal thousands of pirates in the area. Why?

Because he's also a magician. I'm not kidding, he has a few tricks that he carries around with him and puts on some magic shows whenever it strikes his fancy. Kids love it, adults love it too. Honestly, if you start showing up around your area as a merman street-performer doing magic tricks, you'll probably make a bigger name for yourself locally a lot faster than if you were just trying to be a merman. (Mermaids could probably take this advice as well.) You don't have to do any major expensive stunts like Criss Angel, just a handful of tricks you can buy from any magic shop. Get a few that look cool, learn them, start performing them. You'd be surprised how far they take you.
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCorvidae View Post
    While I don't have any advice for breaking out of the stereotype for men, (I'm a chick in a male-dominated industry, I've never tried the other way around, lol) I do have an idea for setting yourself apart from other mers; learn some magic.

I have a local professional pirate that I've run into a couple of times, named Commodore Mayhem. The guy is probably the biggest in our local field. He shows up as a guest at cons, can frequently be found in St. Augustine's pirate museum to give tours and give even more background information on exhibits, and is great with the public. Now central Florida is full of pirates and pirate enthusiasts. (Myself included.) It might take a little bit of time and money to get yourself a costume and learn up on pirate history, but Mayhem stands out from the literal thousands of pirates in the area. Why?

Because he's also a magician. I'm not kidding, he has a few tricks that he carries around with him and puts on some magic shows whenever it strikes his fancy. Kids love it, adults love it too. Honestly, if you start showing up around your area as a merman street-performer doing magic tricks, you'll probably make a bigger name for yourself locally a lot faster than if you were just trying to be a merman. (Mermaids could probably take this advice as well.) You don't have to do any major expensive stunts like Criss Angel, just a handful of tricks you can buy from any magic shop. Get a few that look cool, learn them, start performing them. You'd be surprised how far they take you.
    This is awesome thank you so much! That's definitely a great idea.

This is awesome thank you so much! That's definitely a great idea.

I sent you a private message becuz I had a few questions/ideas for you.

Kids aren't going to want scary merman monsters? Lol What kids have you been talking to? Kids love scary things! Especially when it comes to animals and creatures. I currently work with The MerFriends based out of Texas and we do a mix of different kinds of events, not just kids stuff. My personal mission is animal conservation so I'm more focused on work involving aquariums and raising awareness. Kid's parties are great, but I'd rather try to save some sharks. I don't feel like this is a career that is money driven, rather it's more passion driven. And I'd happily take a side job to help get by or starve on the street before I'd be a sellout. If you're only out to make money this is the wrong career path.

All the best, Sevryn! Really glad you're doing what you love; it'll be even better if you can turn it into career capital in the future. I can't recommend Cal Newport's book "So Good They Can't Ignore You" enough.

Can you share a little more on your performance and conservation work? That'll help us find better angles for ourselves too, and find a way to make breaking the mould work for us.

Follow Dogfish On Twitter
    Visit Dogfish's Youtube Channel Visit Dogfish's Vimeo Channel
    woah that spooky mermaid pic is amazing I think as performers, mermen/mermaids should be able to make of it whatever they want. There are lots of theatrical companies that I bet would love an underwater performer that was scary. It's a very specific market anyway so no harm in going all out on what you love. There used to be a circus themed horror show in the UK that based their whole performance on elaborate horrifying creatures found in sideshows, it became quite a cult classic.

I am a mermen, been one for 4 years now. I haven't revealed it to my family, and only a couple of friends know. When i told my friends, they instantly asked if i was gay...which i'm not. THAT question alone makes me not want to tell relatives about my like of mermaids, it's a stereotype that everything a women does that a men do, it's perceived as gay. It really pisses me off (Sorry, those were some big words right there), and that's why i don't tell people of my tail. I swim in secret, and live in secret.

Society has advanced in so many ways, but others, not so much. There's still a big hate on gays, people of color, immigrants, middle easterns, and we consider ourselves better than the past...i don't think so.
    The world sees us as Merfolk
    We see ourselves as a Pod, as a family
    We live to swim

Junior Member Euro Pod SpiderMerman's Avatar
    Add SpiderMerman on Facebook
    Visit SpiderMerman's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquos Savar View Post
    I am a mermen, been one for 4 years now. I haven't revealed it to my family, and only a couple of friends know. When i told my friends, they instantly asked if i was gay...which i'm not. THAT question alone makes me not want to tell relatives about my like of mermaids, it's a stereotype that everything a women does that a men do, it's perceived as gay. It really pisses me off (Sorry, those were some big words right there), and that's why i don't tell people of my tail. I swim in secret, and live in secret.

Society has advanced in so many ways, but others, not so much. There's still a big hate on gays, people of color, immigrants, middle easterns, and we consider ourselves better than the past...i don't think so.
    I agree with you on all on this because its the same with me but not as long as you only for a year or so but only 2 of my friends know but they understand to be whatever you want to be and don't let anyone stop you from being yourself which I still find hard to do when everything I do I get judged so its hard to trust people including family my family judges me about the things I do of buy or even watch and wear so I don't tell them anything no more so I keep things to myself and scared to tell people things but never let it stop you from being your true self.

Add Skyla on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Oriel View Post
    From what I've seen so far it seems that mermen have a much harder time getting work within the range of mermaid jobs. As a merman myself I do find that pretty discouraging, but I'm interested in what other peoples experiences have been (men and maids alike) regarding the topic. Have you seen something in alignment to this theory? And when mermen are hired, is what they can expect different?

Ultimately I'm asking because I would love to do gigs and things of that nature but am not sure what sorts of challenges I'd be facing and what I should expect going into it.
    To be honest, I don't really understand people.. under the sea is the same as here! They have all kind of mermaid and also merman... Some humans are really stupid.. don't bother with them and don't be discouraged! I guess the whole mermaid/merman thing is really new for them.. so be a bit patient

Sent from my Shellphone
    I want to be part of your world..

Honestly if trying to make a name for yourself in such a niche market going too far out of what is demanded for that market isn't a smart choice, especially as a newbie. It's simple fact that the bread winning gigs are merpeople are kids events (parties, school events, community events, etc) with the rare adult event eveey now and then (weddings, adult parties, releases, etc) so making sure you are marketable to the majority is the smartest choice and sorry to say no kid wants a scary merman at their party or children's event.

Best bet is to play up the warrior and pirate merman aspect of it vs. The Monster look/ persona. The most successful mermen that book lots of gigs are the ones who bring weapon props like tridents and market themselfs as warriors and gods. (Basically play into stereotypical masculinity the same way mermaid performers play into stereotypical femininity )

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Momo View Post
    Honestly if trying to make a name for yourself in such a niche market going too far out of what is demanded for that market isn't a smart choice, especially as a newbie. It's simple fact that the bread winning gigs are merpeople are kids events (parties, school events, community events, etc) with the rare adult event eveey now and then (weddings, adult parties, releases, etc) so making sure you are marketable to the majority is the smartest choice and sorry to say no kid wants a scary merman at their party or children's event.

Best bet is to play up the warrior and pirate merman aspect of it vs. The Monster look/ persona. The most successful mermen that book lots of gigs are the ones who bring weapon props like tridents and market themselfs as warriors and gods. (Basically play into stereotypical masculinity the same way mermaid performers play into stereotypical femininity )
    Sad but true. Good luck to those who try.