Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Professional Mermen?

Professional Mermen?

From what I've seen so far it seems that mermen have a much harder time getting work within the range of mermaid jobs. As a merman myself I do find that pretty discouraging, but I'm interested in what other peoples experiences have been (men and maids alike) regarding the topic. Have you seen something in alignment to this theory? And when mermen are hired, is what they can expect different?

Ultimately I'm asking because I would love to do gigs and things of that nature but am not sure what sorts of challenges I'd be facing and what I should expect going into it.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    Well, if you think about it, mermen may not as likely to be hired in this already competitive job for a couple reasons.

1) Men are often seen as more dangerous, intimidating, scary, sexual... etc then a woman... lol.
    2) They aren't as traditional, and to many are (for some reason) less appealing.

Those are my assumptions anyways, and they are just guesses.

I have no idea what it would be like or how you present in the market as a enby-mer like myself. Sigh.

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    Kane pretty much accurately got this right. Gigs are so much harder to get as we are trying to break pass a stereotype. From a parent perspective, they are more likely to hire a mermaid for a birthday party not even considering a merman as an option. Unless you give yourself a strong local presence, that what you are going up a against. Don't let it discourage you however. Taking a page from one of my haters, take the "promoter" approach and promote yourself up. Make sure you are using local area hashtags when you post pictures/videos online. Swim in public pool with friends. You will get your best chance of being hired for gigs once people know you are just like any other mer out there. What works for me is I'll share one of my fabric tail with a friend and teach them a couple things and then put the tail on myself to demonstrates. It's gets me picture to make a social media presence and my friends word of mouth of how much enjoyment they have works in my favor. Plus the general public see it. The quickest way to get gigs faster is to team up with a local mermaid if there is one. It saves them from having to hire a mertender when it's a mermaid only event but it still keeps the door open for you because there will be that one person you will answer "Yes" that you do that too. I also try to do monthly gathering to the spring for any mers that want to join. Making that good community around you is a good way for another mermaid in a different town to recommend you when they need a 2nd person.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kane View Post
    Well, if you think about it, mermen may not as likely to be hired in this already competitive job for a couple reasons.

1) Men are often seen as more dangerous, intimidating, scary, sexual... etc then a woman... lol.
    2) They aren't as traditional, and to many are (for some reason) less appealing.

Those are my assumptions anyways, and they are just guesses.

I have no idea what it would be like or how you present in the market as a enby-mer like myself. Sigh.
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

Thanks for the advice, Slim! A stereotype is difficult to break, and for many events (corporate and parties alike) a mermaid is far more likely to be seen as an attractive yet friendly presence. Perhaps it's how the sexes are perceived, for better or worse.

"MerMAN!" isn't even in many vocabularies. I was once at a dive show when a merman (the only one on the program) was about to perform after a bunch of mermaids. Just before he went on, the fellow next to me muttered to his friend, "Ah, the male mermaid." -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post

"MerMAN!" isn't even in many vocabularies. I was once at a dive show when a merman (the only one on the program) was about to perform after a bunch of mermaids. Just before he went on, the fellow next to me muttered to his friend, "Ah, the male mermaid." -_-
    "Ahhhhhhh, the mALE mermaid.... such bootiful. Much grace."

Professional Mermen?

"Ahhhhhhh, the mALE mermaid.... such bootiful. Much grace."
    This is how I feel about the LEGO Mermaid Batman figure that seriously being released when LEGO Batman 2 is in theaters. He wearing shells too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Survivor of cyberbullies

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    This is how I feel about the LEGO Mermaid Batman figure that seriously being released when LEGO Batman 2 is in theaters. He wearing shells too...

Just looked it up.... Now I'll never be able see Batman the same way again.... Thanks for that one, Slim.

Just looked it up.... Now I'll never be able see Batman the same way again.... Thanks for that one, Slim.
    Not a problem. Just remember there also a LEGO Pink Fairy Batman and Robin that was released earlier this year.

Survivor of cyberbullies

Haha to get back on track, maybe see how mermen market themselves and get work. Slim's already shared quite a lot, but I'd search Facebook and see the positioning that pro mermen take. I notice that they're often partners with mermaids in a larger organisation, and aren't quite so focused on kids' parties.

How competitive the field is depends on the number of mers in the area and the size of your market; as it's still a niche hobby (think blue ocean strategy *grin*) I think there're still many ways you can position yourself without competing too much. Many places don't even have one mer performer yet.

Not a problem. Just remember there also a LEGO Pink Fairy Batman and Robin that was released earlier this year.

How could I forget? The image of them flashed into my head every few minutes while I was watching Justice League last night. ;P

If it exists, Lego will ruin it so utterly completely that no one remembers anything else But let's not get off track... anymer has better advice (like case studies and tactics) for us blokes who're interested in going pro?

If it exists, Lego will ruin it so utterly completely that no one remembers anything else
    Though it does exist, remember the male Splash remake will even things out. The last big merman thing I remember on TV was one on Tosh.O.

Survivor of cyberbullies

This is something I've noticed myself and I think we're going about this wrong. You're right, we're merMEN. And we're not taking it far enough. I'm super starting my merman career this year and I'm planning on using the merman warrior type as my persona. If mermaids are the soft pretty ones, we need to be the killer mermonsters. I almost never see mermen posing with weapons or trying to push that dangerous sea creature image. I think people get uncomfortable because most people probably assume (wrongly) that a merman is homosexual because mermaids and the like are unconventional and seen as "feminine." I'll say it, I'm not scared. And i have never understood why mermen are unconventional. Everyone just conveniently happens to forget King Triton, and he was a bad@$$! I'm going to do as much as I can to help change this issue. I mean honestly I'm not really worried about kids parties, the mermaids can keep those. Lol (have fun ) I'd much rather swim in an aquarium or do some video work for conservation. Also any Mers out there in the Dallas area wanting to collaborate on videos or photos please email me at rwdennis89@gmail.com

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Sevryn View Post
    This is something I've noticed myself and I think we're going about this wrong. You're right, we're merMEN. And we're not taking it far enough. I'm super starting my merman career this year and I'm planning on using the merman warrior type as my persona. If mermaids are the soft pretty ones, we need to be the killer mermonsters. I almost never see mermen posing with weapons or trying to push that dangerous sea creature image. I think people get uncomfortable because most people probably assume (wrongly) that a merman is homosexual because mermaids and the like are unconventional and seen as "feminine." I'll say it, I'm not scared. And i have never understood why mermen are unconventional. Everyone just conveniently happens to forget King Triton, and he was a bad@$$! I'm going to do as much as I can to help change this issue. I mean honestly I'm not really worried about kids parties, the mermaids can keep those. Lol (have fun ) I'd much rather swim in an aquarium or do some video work for conservation. Also any Mers out there in the Dallas area wanting to collaborate on videos or photos please email me at rwdennis89@gmail.com

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    Exactly, Sevryn! Couldn't have said it better myself -- I've got a mersona in my head that's precisely that. I've always been interested in tactical training and firearms, though living in Singapore there's almost no chance that'll happen outside the army. When I get a custom tail made it'll be the dark, threatening kind, and I've got a diving knife it'll go perfectly with.

Guess I've never thought of spreading the idea as you have. All the best going pro, and keep me posted!

For now, you've got my (real) blade and (imaginary) underwater rifle. I'll let you know if I ever come by Dallas
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

Quote Originally Posted by Sevryn View Post
    The same goes for any mer. Why can't merrow be vicious warriors? WHY does it have to be Disney? I did a research paper on aquatic humanoids, and its safe to say 75% or more were monstrous. I'm hoping to have my next tail/''mersona'' be a more mysterious and deadly kind. Probably angler like. xD

The same goes for any mer. Why can't merrow be vicious warriors? WHY does it have to be Disney? I did a research paper on aquatic humanoids, and its safe to say 75% or more were monstrous. I'm hoping to have my next tail/''mersona'' be a more mysterious and deadly kind. Probably angler like. xD
    Of course, Lady Kane. The International Pod of Mer-sassins is ever on the lookout for... able young merrow such as yourself.

Of course, Lady Kane. The International Pod of Mer-sassins is ever on the lookout for... able young merrow such as yourself.
    Ehhh not a Lady but alright anyways. xD Am I accepted as a new recruit?

Ehhh not a Lady but alright anyways. xD Am I accepted as a new recruit?
    < Strokes chin > Most interesting, Ms Kane. Most interesting. When the time is right, and your mersona springs forth as alluring and deadly as the anglerfish

Where does the Doctor merman trait falls in all of this? I prefer to use a conch shell to rally the troops.

Survivor of cyberbullies

Where does the Doctor merman trait falls in all of this? I prefer to use a conch shell to rally the troops.

Seen "Hacksaw Ridge", Slim? That @_@