Thread: [SPOILERS] A thread to discuss The Shape of Water

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar

[SPOILERS] A thread to discuss The Shape of Water

I just saw it with some friends and I want to keep talking about it. I really liked it. I can't decide whether I like it better than Pan's Labyrinth. It was a very pretty movie with great suspense, and I loved the acting. Micheal Shannon was a terrific villain. Who else has seen this and wants to talk about it?

Name:  poster-fa94194c-14e4-4f4c-b346-c5f3488a070a.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  32.3 KB

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    not out here yet a lot of places it wont be out until the 22nd, or January

Without giving to much away can you tell me if it had a happy ending? I really want to see it but I can't deal with any movies about loss right now.
    Lilyrose Fish

Administrator Pod of Cali malinghi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilyrose Fish View Post
    Without giving to much away can you tell me if it had a happy ending? I really want to see it but I can't deal with any movies about loss right now.
    Yeah, it has a happy ending.

Member Pod of New England TheMerthropologist's Avatar
    Follow TheMerthropologist On Twitter
    Follow TheMerthropologist on Tumblr
    Did someone say The Shape Of Water!?
    A fish out of water waiting for dreams to come true
    who takes drawing requests/suggestions...maybe commisions sometimes?
    http://theblackcatmasque.deviantart.com/
    http://www.redbubble.com/people/
    https://www.instagram.com/blackcatmasque/
    https://ko-fi.com/blackcatmasque

Senior Member Chesapeake Pod Merman Dan's Avatar
    It was a wonderful movie, as all of Guillermo del Toro's stories are. There were a few times when my willing suspension of disbelief was broken (towel under the door scene, for example) and I cannot help but think that there were several directions this movie wanted to take without firmly proceeding with a single vision. Perhaps a Directors Cut, such as the one for The Abyss which radically changed the theatrical cut, will address this. All in all it's worth seeing at least twice and it would be a good launching point for a sequel.
    (Formerly known as Æolius)

FINALLY! The film was released in Mexico on the 12th of January. I was super excited to see the movie, maybe too excited. My expectations where extremely high and I left the theater unsure if those expectations where met. But after digesting it for a day.... I have decided I really enjoyed it. The cinematography is beautiful (mostly), the story was rich, character development was strong for the protagonist and antagonist and strong enough for supporting rolls. I thought every scene played a strong role in building the character or plot.

What I wanted to see was more of the creature, I wanted rich underwater scenes and character development of him. But, for the story, the creature is suppose to be that, a creature. In the story they chose to go with a perverseness in the falling in love with an animal... morality and love is a beautiful juxtaposition.

I pre-ordered a digital copy of the film, and the soundtrack. I also want to buy the concept book but I'm going to wait to see if the price comes down a little bit.

I read that the only actual underwater scene was the bathroom one!

Pod of New England
    Add Ocoree on Facebook
    There is another scene at the end that's underwater, and while both are powerful, I think it's the bathroom one that hits it the most for the audience in regards to the shift of relationship between the protagonist and the creature.

The Shape of Water is a magical movie that will take your breath away. The acting is superb. I loved how the movie went from English to American Sign Language then to Russian i thought that was really neat. The costumes were wonderfully done. I highly recomend this movie to any moviegoer. This movie is very different then any other movie out there.