Thread: Inexperienced and Ready to Learn

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Seaspray Mermaid's Avatar
    Follow Seaspray Mermaid On Twitter Add Seaspray Mermaid on Facebook Add Seaspray Mermaid on Google+
    Follow Seaspray Mermaid on Tumblr Visit Seaspray Mermaid's Youtube Channel

Inexperienced and Ready to Learn

We just got an underwater capable camera..just in time for winter to hit! I was hoping to use winter to pick up a few tips and tricks to underwater shooting, modeling, and timing? I have a heck of a time staying under (may be a depth issue) and I never know how to pose. Every mer pic I've seen is so elegant and I just look like a lumpy tube of white and blue flesh floundering on the shoreline. Lately, we've been trying to achieve more candid shots instead of more posed looks. How do you look relaxed underwater? And keep from squinting in sunlight? And look like real mers???
    Thanks in advance.
    Why blend in when you were so obviously destined to stand out?

Quote Originally Posted by Seaspray Mermaid View Post
    We just got an underwater capable camera..just in time for winter to hit! I was hoping to use winter to pick up a few tips and tricks to underwater shooting, modeling, and timing? I have a heck of a time staying under (may be a depth issue) and I never know how to pose. Every mer pic I've seen is so elegant and I just look like a lumpy tube of white and blue flesh floundering on the shoreline. Lately, we've been trying to achieve more candid shots instead of more posed looks. How do you look relaxed underwater? And keep from squinting in sunlight? And look like real mers???
    Thanks in advance.
    one thing I can say as far as staying underwater is that it's easier to expel all of your air before going under. Most people float because of the air in your lunges. For me this makes modeling underwater a lot harder as I can barely stay under this way for ten seconds lol. Sometimes others I've heard use some kind of weight belt to also keep them underwater. I would have to say it takes practice posting underwater but if it sow thing. Your passionate about just let your heart takeover and I'm sure the photos will turn out amazing hope you were able to get something useful out of this lol

I've learned a few things about underwater modeling from both my swimming experience and artist experience.

When it comes to underwater photography, remember the deeper you go, the less light you have to work with. I've learned that keeping the camera close to the surface will give it a better chance to capture light and take a better photo (even if you aren't near the surface).

As an animator, we always try to draw figures in a recognizable "key pose". What that means is if you silhouette the figure, you'll still be able to recognize what they're doing and how they're feeling. Even if you can't "see" it. When you pose, it's best to think about what your silhouette looks like. Are you trying to portray yourself as a happy mermaid exploring the waters? Make yourself look bigger by spreading your arms up and keeping your head high. Are you timid about new water? Make yourself look smaller. We normally apply stuff like this to the characters we animate.

Another thing to remember when your underwater is what your hair is doing. Hair moves after you. If you move forward, the hair is gonna hang back for a bit. If you move backwards, your hair is gonna get in your face. (etc.) Your hair basically has a mind of its' own underwater. It's always best to try to be aware of what it's doing when you're modeling.

And finally, as a swimmer, I've trained myself to be a natural floater when it comes to racing. It's become a bit of a problem for me when it comes to modeling underwater. I find it helpful to exhale a lot, if not all, the air in my lungs to help me naturally sink better. There's also the option of hiding a weight belt underneath a mermaid belt or hiding weights inside of your tail.

I hope this helps!
    Mermaid Sagittaria
    Savannah, GA | Richmond, VA
    Competitive Swimmer since 2005 | Aspiring Animator
    9 Time National Champion Swimmer | 11 Time All-American Swimmer
    Art Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/abigail_richey/
    Mermaid Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tybee_mermaid/

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Seaspray Mermaid's Avatar
    Follow Seaspray Mermaid On Twitter Add Seaspray Mermaid on Facebook Add Seaspray Mermaid on Google+
    Follow Seaspray Mermaid on Tumblr Visit Seaspray Mermaid's Youtube Channel
    All very helpful, thank you so much.
    Why blend in when you were so obviously destined to stand out?