Thread: I can’t Remember

I can’t Remember

I can’t remember my password and email! And username! The login thing won't work on MerNetwork.com on the computer please help me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Your registration IP address matches 5 other usernames:

MermaidAriel123
    MermaidAriel1234
    MermaidAuquita
    MermaidAuquita1998
    Mermaid_Auquita_123

Are all of these accounts yours?

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

FacebookYouTubeEtsy InstagramdeviantARTGoogle+TwitterTumblr

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    If I may jump into this. I think half the names might be from the fact the registration system is broken and i took that many account just to post for help. I even got messaged by a Mermaid Yuki who recently signed up but still has yet got a registration email. According to her, she changed the email about 3 or 4 times and still no email.

Quote Originally Posted by Winged Mermaid View Post
    Your registration IP address matches 5 other usernames:

MermaidAriel123
    MermaidAriel1234
    MermaidAuquita
    MermaidAuquita1998
    Mermaid_Auquita_123

Are all of these accounts yours?
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

We're aware that the registration emails have trouble reaching people. It's been that way for a while and I haven't been able to find a way to fix it. This is because people decide they don't want the MerNetwork emails anymore (like thread subscription notifications and such), so they report it as spam instead of unsubscribing. Between that and the volume of emails that we pump out, some email servers have decided that the email is spam. So they block the automated emails from going through, even to the spam folder. It's very hit and miss. I would fix it if I could, but so far I've had no luck.

The best thing to do if you haven't gotten a registration verification email, is to email us at mernetwork@gmail.com (or use the "contact us" page on the site). Or if you have the ability to PM, PM an mod or admin. (Please don't PM us on the FB page or on a FB profile.) I do try and check the email regularly but sometimes it falls through the cracks. So if you don't hear back, email again in a day or so.

Wingéd Mermaid Iona

Some notes on spam filters:

This is because people decide they don't want the MerNetwork emails anymore (like thread subscription notifications and such), so they report it as spam instead of unsubscribing.
    Depends on the spam filter (can also be per user then).

Between that and the volume of emails that we pump out, some email servers have decided that the email is spam.
    The count of mails is a valid metric to detect spam but it only increases the probability - there must be other issues as well.

So they block the automated emails from going through, even to the spam folder. It's very hit and miss. I would fix it if I could, but so far I've had no luck.
    This comes from european law: if the mail server accepts the email, in the meaning of law, the email is delivered to the recipient. For that reason, many mail servers rejects spam instead of moving to junk.

---

Another reason is might be a DMARC issue (incorrect SPF entry) in combination with the sender address. For example I have got this headers in a mernetwork mail:

Code:
    Received: from << original domain >> (<< original domain >>. [<<sender ip>>])
            by mx.google.com with ESMTPS id 33si...
            for <<<my email>>>
            (version=TLS1_2 cipher=ECDHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256 bits=128/128);
            Mon, 01 Jan 2018 00:00:30 -0800 (PST)
    Received-SPF: softfail (google.com: domain of transitioning << mernetwork mail>> does not designate <<sender ip>> as permitted sender) client-ip=<<sender ip>>;
    Authentication-Results: mx.google.com;
           spf=softfail (google.com: domain of transitioning << mernetwork mail>> does not designate <<sender ip>> as permitted sender) smtp.mailfrom=<< mernetwork mail>>;
           dmarc=fail (p=NONE sp=NONE dis=NONE) header.from=gmail.com
    Received: from mernetwo by << original domain >> with local (Exim 4.89_1) (envelope-from << mernetwork mail >>) id 1eVv1G-0034HW-5T for <<my email>>; Mon, 01 Jan 2018 00:00:26 -0800This means that forum emails have a spoofed sender as << mernetwork mail >> is not permitted to send mails as gmail.com. Instead the mail does come from << sender ip >>.

There are two ways to fix this:
    1. Use a permitted mail server as a sender - in that case it would be sent via a gmail server and DMARC would be valid (IP of gmail + @gmail.com -> OK)
    2. Use the own domain as a sender (example@mernetwork.com) which allows the original sender.

Apparently you know way more about this than I do! I could look into how to switch to a domain email - do you really think that would fix it?

Wingéd Mermaid Iona