Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mermaiding with Chronic Illness

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod

Mermaiding with Chronic Illness

I have been asked a lot to talk about this topic, so I made a video!

Thank you for sharing, you are a huge inspiration!
    “The cure for anything is salt water -- sweat, tears, or the sea.”
    Isak Dinesen - http://www.worldofquotes.com/topic/water/2/index.html
    Follow me on Facebook and Youtube!

My Facebook page:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mermai...38613266232787

My Youtube page:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MermaidDanielle2012

That was beautiful! I have a condition called sinus arythmia, which is dr talk for "irregular heartbeat"

I also have asthma. It used to be really mild, but lately, It's gotten alot worse. If my heart rate goes too high, I run the risk of passing out. This means that exercise is hard for me. I have figured out over the years where my danger zone is. My asthma is currently being treated with an emergency inhaler, nebulizer treatment and a steroid called Prednisone. In a week, I'll be switched over from prednisone to symbicort.

Bcc ecause of all this, I am very prone to head colds, respuratory infe tions, bronchitis, pneumonia, sinus infections and anything else that decides to attack my respiratory system, including flu and flu like viruses.

Right now, I am javing round 3 of respiratory illnes which started around thanksgiving. Because I am alkergic to certain antibiotics, and because weaker ones no longer work for me, I'm very limited on what I can take for an infection. I'm 41 years okd, married with 3 kids who are special needs. What's a day off? lol.

Thank you, Raina, for sharing your story. It helped me to realize that I am not alone.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

I have an irregular heartbeat too! It doesn't affect me much so I didn't think to say it actually, but caused issues when I was a kid.

I believe it! It makes exercising hard, and makes it so that cardio can only go to a certain level for me. I'm not able to lose weigjt eadily either between that and an underactive thyroid.

yeah I struggle with cardio too, hurts my neck where I have my pulse which I know is weird haha! I do weight lifting!

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DancingJohari View Post
    I believe it! It makes exercising hard, and makes it so that cardio can only go to a certain level for me. I'm not able to lose weigjt eadily either between that and an underactive thyroid.
    I have heart issues too! We've done extensive tests on it, but the doctors are puzzled. They are aware it is easily aggravated thanks to a 30 day monitor, and tell me to stop if it starts hurting badly. I generally didn't listen until I pushed myself too hard and blacked out.

I believe something like 50% of the population has a rythym issue with their heart. Makes you wonder if "normal" is wrong, lol

Senior Member Pod of Cali Saelyyia's Avatar
    Follow Saelyyia On Twitter Add Saelyyia on Facebook
    Follow Saelyyia on Tumblr
    Thank you for making this video. I also live with chronic illness' and it can be difficult and I feel it is something the majority of the world has a hard time grasping when all they see are the pretty pictures/sparkles we choose to show them. I used to be a classical ballet dancer until we found out I had a genetic fluke that ended up damaging my IT bands and glute-med permanently, Fibromyalgia, a UV sensitivity, missing stomach enzyme, GERD, IBS, delayed digestion so my body doesnt even start breaking down the things I eat till they ahve started to rot inside me, i'm missing some organs because they went toxic (The non-vital ones clearly), a damaged immune system from my mother's cancer treatment when she was pregnant with me, early signs of arthritis in my hands at 25, and a gnarly light sensitivity. They can be rough to handle sometimes even if I don't believe in letting them define me or my life.

I can't count the number of times people tell me to suck it up when I have a flare ups and that I "don't look sick". It can be frustrating and makes it hard to get through the day when you are constantly being invalidated. I actually had my boyfriend of 8 years watch this video with me, he got a little teary eyed. He is someone who is always trying to understand the struggles of the types of things myself and others I know in similar boats have to live with and it always helps to hear it from someone outside his world too.

Sometimes Life Just Needs a Bit of Magic

it was hard for Sean to understand my sickness too because when I met him I didnt have my diagnoses and was trying to be and act normal. Then I got so sick, so fast and it affected all aspects of our relationship. We spent so much time in emergency. we even went to counselling about it to learn how to cope with him being a caregiver and me being sick!

Same here, minus the counseling. He just spends alot of time asking questions and talking to others who deal with their SO's and chronic illness. I also have a friend who works for TheMighty.com and she loves to send articles are way that can be very eye opening. Its hard, but it is definitely doable. The fact that you are both open about the reality of your situation, and still fighting to keep the life you want and do what you want is very inspiring. I first came across mermaiding at a point where I couldn't walk and I had just been diagnosed at 18 and though my life was over. (Silly teen mentality) Between your work, and that of some others I have followed for years in different communities I definitely hold you as a large inspiration when I have a bad day or I question if it is worth fighting the conditions. Thank you for sharing your strength.

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    I experienced this same exact scenario in high school when I was having my growth spurt from heck. I was fine before and after that growth spurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kane View Post
    I have heart issues too! We've done extensive tests on it, but the doctors are puzzled. They are aware it is easily aggravated thanks to a 30 day monitor, and tell me to stop if it starts hurting badly. I generally didn't listen until I pushed myself too hard and blacked out.
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    I experienced this same exact scenario in high school when I was having my growth spurt from heck. I was fine before and after that growth spurt.
    Unfortunately that is not it. Already looked into it.

And my cold is not a cold. It's bronchitis. Ugh. Back on antibiotics and waiting for the ability to breathe without that burning need to cough to return.

yep. i've got an ear infection now. lol

Feel better. Had a dr yesterday with a sense of humor. I asked him if they could just give me new lungs. His response "Yeah, we've got a set in the back. Give me 5 minutes, we'll hook you up!" I needed that, because after a solid month of being sick, I needed the humor.

Just had my gallbladder taken out after eight years of chronic pain all the time. Wish that could be a solution for all you guys too! Hang in there!

I've had mine removed. It helped but it was just one small problem in a see of them. I sure don't miss it though.

I have fibromyalgia I also have scoliosis but I’m still trying to wait near pool time to swim

Sent from My Shell Phone

Mermaid * Auquita

Quote Originally Posted by DancingJohari View Post
    That was beautiful! I have a condition called sinus arythmia, which is dr talk for "irregular heartbeat"

I also have asthma. It used to be really mild, but lately, It's gotten alot worse. If my heart rate goes too high, I run the risk of passing out. This means that exercise is hard for me. I have figured out over the years where my danger zone is. My asthma is currently being treated with an emergency inhaler, nebulizer treatment and a steroid called Prednisone. In a week, I'll be switched over from prednisone to symbicort.

Bcc ecause of all this, I am very prone to head colds, respuratory infe tions, bronchitis, pneumonia, sinus infections and anything else that decides to attack my respiratory system, including flu and flu like viruses.

Right now, I am javing round 3 of respiratory illnes which started around thanksgiving. Because I am alkergic to certain antibiotics, and because weaker ones no longer work for me, I'm very limited on what I can take for an infection. I'm 41 years okd, married with 3 kids who are special needs. What's a day off? lol.

Thank you, Raina, for sharing your story. It helped me to realize that I am not alone.

I’m sorry to hear that someone else deals with these issues too but glad to not feel so alone! Although i stopped my powder inhaler because i had a weird tongue swelling reaction to it now i just keep my emergency inhalers on hand and avoid the cold! Or extreme heat:/ basically I’m the youngest person at all my dr visits lol. But mermaiding with these issues seems to be challenging because it’s a full body activity and holding my breath isssnnttt easy anymore:/....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk