Thread: Cold swims

Cold swims

How swim in cold water and not be cold??

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    There really not an an easy answer to this except to wear a wetsuit. There are some full body tails though but they are usually fabric. It may not be that much of a stretch to have a wetsuit hidden within the tail and a top that goes over the wetsuit. Some people focus and proper breathing techniques help.
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Add Ocoree on Facebook
    I agree with Slim - wetsuits are preferable depending on where you are. However, you may need a dry suit to be in really cold water.

All in all, some temperatures are simply unsuitable for this purpose. Make sure you put in a little research and have someone there in case things get to be too much.

Often, northern countries and more arctic climates host cold swims, but that sort of tolerance takes time to build. It’s a bit like a Californian saying that 30°F is unbearably freezing while the Canadian laughs

Wetsuits are made of neoprene among other things, so you might be able to either construct a tail to compliment your suit or find a maker that does exactly what you need.

Best of luck to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Twilight darkens, yet there in the shade,
    Lies a glimmering shadow, the wild mermaid;

As night draws ever closer, there's a choice to be made--
    Will you stay as you are, or be delivered to the waves?

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper

You mean make tail from neoprene?

Senior Member Pod of The South Slim's Avatar
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by РусалкаАнна View Post
    You mean make tail from neoprene?
    When you make the impossible become possible, that when the magic happens!

Survivor of cyberbullies

I had an idea then I realized someone already did it, or was working on it. Here's a link:
    https://mernetwork.com/index/showthr...ven-easy-steps.
    I think it could be easier made in two pieces though. Like a long sleeve neoprene wetsuit with shorts then a neoprene tail all sequined up to match except the shorts since they would be under the tail anyway..
    Last edited by Khaleesi Daenerys; 01-17-2018 at 03:36 AM.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    Before I started this hobby, I would swim in only warm water. Like 90 degree water. (My pool is covered and stays at 90 or so about half the year.) When I started tail-swimming, I decided I would like to swim in the ocean. To prepare, I spent 20 minutes in my pool, doing very little, every evening after work, in the fall. Every day the pool was a tad cooler. I would open the aqua shield, get my head wet, and let the cold wind blow over me while I slowly swam in the cold, in the dark. By December, it was 66. It was cold, but I managed it. Now, the beach is not a problem at all.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

There is a book that would indicate a person can produce more brown fat, that increases the production of thermoregulation.

Name:  33803883.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  35.5 KB

https://www.amazon.com/What-Doesnt-K...6201774&sr=8-1

Thank you! Will read

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Seaspray Mermaid's Avatar
    Follow Seaspray Mermaid On Twitter Add Seaspray Mermaid on Facebook Add Seaspray Mermaid on Google+
    Follow Seaspray Mermaid on Tumblr Visit Seaspray Mermaid's Youtube Channel
    Good luck! Sending starfish wishes your way that you find a safe solution.
    Why blend in when you were so obviously destined to stand out?

My friend did a sponsored swim in her tail on boxing day with all the other crazy divers, and since we're pretty far north in England the sea was absolutely FREEZING. She definitely had to wear a wetsuit under her tail, a full one with a hood and everything. She did really well, though due to some health conditions her temperature was super low after and she had to get it back up. Always be careful if you're going to be swimming in cold water and know what you'll do after to get comfy again!
    Formerly known as Mermaid Cosmica