Thread: Photographer wants to Work with Me

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Seaspray Mermaid's Avatar
    Follow Seaspray Mermaid On Twitter Add Seaspray Mermaid on Facebook Add Seaspray Mermaid on Google+
    Follow Seaspray Mermaid on Tumblr Visit Seaspray Mermaid's Youtube Channel

Photographer wants to Work with Me

I just got a response on my Model Mayhem account (thanks to Raina for her wonderful book and the incredible info) and I just got a response from a pro photographer in my area and he's willing to work with me...

But now I have no idea how any of this works. Do I need to come in with my makeup/hair done? Obviously, I already have half a wardrobe but what about the top? What do I need to know about pro photography? Suggestions/experiences?

I'm so excited!
    Why blend in when you were so obviously destined to stand out?

Junior Member Pod of the Midwest Bonnie's Avatar
    Hello! I hope I can be of some assistance. I've been doing "trade for print" modeling for a little while now. This means that no payment is exchanged and both the model and photographer retain rights to the images produced. Because no money is changing hands then the makeup, costume, and styling usually falls on the model. I would recommend coming to the shoot with full makeup and styling so that you don't take up the photographers time applying makeup and then you won't feel like you are working against the clock. Don't expect too much input on styling from the photographer. He/she will probably rely on your experience and vision with creativity and styling. After the first session they might have more input but on the first go, I would expect to just dress and style how you usually do. Keep the styling simple because your first session with this photographer will be mostly about figuring each other out. Having multiple costume changes or too many props might just confuse the whole situation.

Step one would be to take a good hard look at this person's portfolio. You may also ask him/her for other models who can provide a reference. Photographers might be very talented but may also be unprofessional creeps so reference can put you more at ease. Once you agree on a time and location then you need to ask a trusted friend to be your "handler". This person is extremely important. You need someone who will make you feel comfortable but who won't distract you. This is for your safety and for the photographer's safety.

When the day comes you want to be at least 30 minutes early so you can get comfortable in the area where you will be taking pictures. This is one of those times where "on time" is actually late. Make sure you have some snacks and something to drink. Modeling is hard work after all! Play your favorite music if you can or bring something that smells nice. Whatever you need to get into the spirit of it. Relax, have fun, be your stunning self!

At the end of the session the photographer will produce a waiver contract. Read it carefully. It will probably state that you must credit the photographer every time you share images and you won't be able to make money of the prints either. If you agree then you both sign the contract.

Trade for print is a great way to connect with photographers in your area. Using these experiences to hone your craft and also build your portfolio will lead to paid gigs. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Good luck!!

Follow Seaspray Mermaid On Twitter Add Seaspray Mermaid on Facebook Add Seaspray Mermaid on Google+
    Great information! Thank you so much.

Update, the photographer wants to meet with me. I'm so excited. There isn't anything concrete just yet, but I think it's looking pretty good that this is going to work out. *gull scream*. This is the biggest step for my business so far.

Junior Member Pod of the Midwest Bonnie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seaspray Mermaid View Post
    Update, the photographer wants to meet with me. I'm so excited. There isn't anything concrete just yet, but I think it's looking pretty good that this is going to work out. *gull scream*. This is the biggest step for my business so far.
    That's so exciting! Keep us posted on how it goes! And make sure you meet in a public place for safety. Also, be sure to bring some one along when it comes time for pictures. Traffickers do shop for victims on modeling websites and they do it EVERYWHERE. Even where I am, in fairly rural area, women have been taken. Also, let a third person know where you are going to be and for how long. The photographer will expect these measures and will be supportive. They know the danger too so they will understand and will not take it personally. Have fun!

As a TFP model, always come in full makeup unless they offer to bring a MUA to do it on site or by pre-appointment. Also, my suggestion is do not wear glitter makeup, on camera it appears as black flecks! Have fun at your photo shoot!

Thank you for the tips! We're meeting at the end of the month to work out the details.