Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mermaid Video Games and Comics?

Hello. If videogames about ocean themes are considered to be fitting here even if they are no mermaid in it i'm quite surprise that there is no mention of Ecco the Dolphin, sure it's a retro game but it's a very good and enjoyable classic. It's about a dolphin who lives a series of mysterious events and go on an adventure in the ocean to understand them and then a lot of stuff happens with Atlantis, time-travel and aliens and your dolphin is very heroic. That's already a little bit spoiling maybe but hey it's a 1992 classic so maybe that's not that much of a problem.

Also there is Azura in Fire Emblem Fates, fitting name, blue hair, blue dress, strong connexion with water, class : singer, enchanting voice with the magic power of cancel maledictions and that beautiful soothing song : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=do5NTPLMqXQ , seriously i think even if she is not as i remember at least ever call a mermaid to me she feels like damn close.

Also of course the level in Ariel world in Kingdom Hearts the hero Sora becomes a temporary merman.

Senior Member Rocky Mountain Pod
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Fina View Post
    Also of course the level in Ariel world in Kingdom Hearts the hero Sora becomes a temporary merman.
    I'd say that one's significant, because Sora, a cool character becomes a merman, and doesn't have a problem with it. Big boost to us guys in the community.

Hi. Yes and well searching a bit on the web i found there is another game with a merman even if far more of classical mythology look and less cool modern guy style since well it's Poseidon he seems to play a major role in a city building game call Poseidon : Master of Atlantis. Well that and I guess since they are little mermaid games for little girls they probably are scenes in them with Ariel's father but sure the count in merman videogames characters is a bit short that being said a lot of ocean fantasy themed video games has pirates guys as heroes that may be the closest you can go besides these few examples well that being said i'm sure they are more.

For more personalization they're mermen and mermaid in The Sims 3 and 4. And well some Water Pokémon could look more or less mer like and they have male and females/were not gendered in the first game that said maybe nobody else but me feel Aquali looks like a mermaid fantasy animal. That's all the mermaid guys in video games i can think about without going on deep research but i think they maybe a few more probably. They are a lot of video games after all most not all that well known so everything possible beside maybe with RPG maker or something someone in this very community somewhere had made a mermaid themed unofficial game for the mermaiding community who knows?

The Okami series has the Dragonian race, who live underwater and can turn into sea dragons. An actual mermaid shows up in the second game, Okamiden​, as a supporting character.

endless ocean for the wii... not mermaiding, more diving... but you can get different dolphins and whales as dive buddies :3
    (and pokémon: misty... the tomboyish mermaid... and most of the water pokemon obviously ;b )

EDIT: totally forgot: barotrauma for the PC on steam... u-boots and deepsea monsters... more a death simulation, challenging, coordinated multiplayer crew recommanded
    just a random Kelpie... "wanna come to my lake?"

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelpie Thyra View Post
    endless ocean for the wii... not mermaiding, more diving... but you can get different dolphins and whales as dive buddies :3
    [...]
    Oh, yes, yes, yes, that one is great! Beautiful made and so relaxing!

Sent from my H3311 using MerNetwork mobile app

I recently found a minecraft mod that gives you a tail! It has pretty good animation. Sadly, it is for an older version before Mojang's awesome aquatic update, so there isn't much in the ocean to explore.

It's a fun mod nonetheless.

https://www.planetminecraft.com/mod/...-mermaid-tail/

You download that, then install this: http://files.minecraftforge.net/mave...ex_1.7.10.html

Then you pull up the minecraft launcher, click on installs, and load forge 1.7.10,

Then once it loads, you go to options, and click "open resource pack folder." This gives you access to minecraft's files. Find the folder labeled "mods" and drag the mermaid-tail mod into the folder.

After restarting minecraft, start a new world, and you should find that your player character has a mer tail!

Changing your skin will affect the tail type, so if you go to this site here - http://blueberrysensationalhouse.com/mermaid.html
    you can get what specific tail color you want.

Y'all should try it! It's a pretty cool mod.

Name:  CurrentTheMerboy (2).PNG
Views: 593
Size:  490.5 KB
    Last edited by CoriTheMergirl; 03-01-2020 at 07:39 PM.

Junior Member Pod of the Midwest Mermaid Rivera's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Rivera on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Rivera's Youtube Channel
    I think making a game about merfolk would be fun too!
    I've been dreaming about creating one somewhat like Abzu, in relation to the game's environment and controls (you know something really flowy and calm) but one that has concrete characters and a clear storyline.

Maybe one day, if I'd ever start learning how to make video games

What a cool idea! Well now i have a taste for games with a little more epic action and fighting and if it was for me i would go more for a action RPG with game's environnement and control a tad bit Zoras of Zelda's Majora Mask Great Bay inspired mixed with characters and storyline final fantasy-like but every one do have their own taste and two is better than one. Besides more variety could be great. But i have no experience in doing games even if would very much like to do so and i do not even understand how to use RPG maker even tough i've tried so alas it's not likely to be something i can do either at least without outsider that know more help anytime soon.

Junior Member Pod of the Midwest Mermaid Rivera's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Rivera on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Rivera's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Fina View Post
    i do not even understand how to use RPG maker even tough i've tried so alas it's not likely to be something i can do either at least without outsider that know more help anytime soon.
    I've actually been thinking about making games with RPG Maker! The program seems like one of the easiest for me personally to learn and I already have some ideas for stories! Though I probably won't make them RPG based.

I don't know if the merfolk game I'm dreaming of can be achieved through RPG maker, at least probably not in the way I want it.

Yes it is a very easy one but i'm not at all good at informatics. And i have a very old PC with which almost nothing works as a software futhermore. RPG Maker seems ill suited as i've heard to most non RPG video games making but i do not know what kind of software would be the best one for a simulation game like the one you refered to. Ah as a side note that is totally off topic but i did not so long ago finally achieved a DIY mertail but it was 100% full cotton so i don't think it can really count as my "first mertail" because the best i can do with it is get in my dry bathtub wearing it. I can't swim with it but it was soothing and fun to wear it but i guess it's more classical mermaid costume than real mermaiding if you can't swim with it but even if more functional (at least it was) than beautiful (it was way under average but i was happy enough it wasn't horrendeous considering it cames from my clumsy hands) it was already the max my two left hands can do alone...i guess for a second "real mertail" i should need to buy it as learning to make it would be more costly to me. Anyway I hope you do find some help to make your game...maybe in the underground game making community some one would be able to help you make this dream come true?

I've entertained Ideas about mermaid-themed games (the app store is shockingly sparse for both mermaid and unicorn content) but that would require a) choosing software for the job and b) learning how to use that software, and I don't know where to even begin. I don't like the idea of paying for something when I don't know if I'll enjoy using it, especially software licenses that you have to keep on paying for to use over time and which you can lose access to if the developer shuts things down.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Hunter View Post
    I've entertained Ideas about mermaid-themed games (the app store is shockingly sparse for both mermaid and unicorn content) but that would require a) choosing software for the job and b) learning how to use that software, and I don't know where to even begin. I don't like the idea of paying for something when I don't know if I'll enjoy using it, especially software licenses that you have to keep on paying for to use over time and which you can lose access to if the developer shuts things down.
    If you want to really get into hardcore game dev, I'd start with Unity. It has a free version, and it is fairly powerful for what it is. The free software "Godot (go-dough)" is also a good starter program that is more in-depth.

If you want to get straight into making a mermaid themed game, I'd recommend going for something like the game "dreams", which allows you to do game dev more easily, though it sadly is only on PS4.
    Something that looks very promising is the game Hytale, coming out in 2021, which looks to have very advanced user creation tools. That'll be a bit of a wait, but you'll be able to easily model stuff using their built in editors.

Look up on YouTube how to get started with game dev, and you'll find good channels like Ask Gamdev, Extra Credits, and more, that will direct you towards places to start.

But I agree, there are far too few games involving mers at all, let alone us mermen
    I'd totally play a mer themed zelda style action adventure where you explore cool underwater environments though.

for unity there are quite some nice beginner tutorials

and my fantasy (regarding mermen in video games) would be something like... lets say... there are some riding games right? with teenage-girl-storries and drama and boys and horses... what about a spin-off of those but with cute stable-boys mermen? and kelpies ;3
    just a random Kelpie... "wanna come to my lake?"

Junior Member Euro Pod Tiefenrausch's Avatar
    And if stuff like unity or even rpg maker is too complex for you, then you can downgrade even further as long as you're okay with focussing on creating a text adventure. There's a neat program called twine that you can use to create some really marvelous feats of choose your own adventure stories, or even go so far to create full text adventures. The only caveat is that you need to learn at least a bit of the special 'programming'-language the program uses for stuff like text that only shows if something else has happened before in the story, save games and the like.

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Rivera View Post
    I think making a game about merfolk would be fun too!
    I've been dreaming about creating one somewhat like Abzu, in relation to the game's environment and controls (you know something really flowy and calm) but one that has concrete characters and a clear storyline.

Maybe one day, if I'd ever start learning how to make video games
    Have you heard of a program called RPG Maker? It's considered to be very good for beginners. Making a full-blown game is still a lot of work but it's doable. The program is $80 on Steam but it goes on sale sometimes, I think I paid $20 for it during one of the big Steam sales. I would really like to make a merfolk game myself but I need to also get Photoshop or some other art program to make my own assets, also I have to be good at making those assets, ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiefenrausch View Post
    And if stuff like unity or even rpg maker is too complex for you, then you can downgrade even further as long as you're okay with focussing on creating a text adventure. There's a neat program called twine that you can use to create some really marvelous feats of choose your own adventure stories, or even go so far to create full text adventures. The only caveat is that you need to learn at least a bit of the special 'programming'-language the program uses for stuff like text that only shows if something else has happened before in the story, save games and the like.
    When you said text adventure, my mind clicked and I couldn't believe I forgot about this. A guy here in my home state of Utah made a program called AiDungeon.

This is artificial intelligence controlled text based adventure, and it's completely free, both online and as an app (it doesn't even have any ads!)

https://aidungeon.io/

I've had crazy amounts of fun with it, and I'd imagine that for the purpose of having a mer themed story, y'all would enjoy that as well.

Although the AI doesn't work all the time, I was actually successful in playing a few stories with different settings where I became a merboy.

Just lead the AI along carefully, start your entries off with a verb, and eventually, you can make pretty much any story you want. I played a story where I was Eric from the Little Mermaid, and instead of Ariel becoming a human and staying on land, I became a merman and joined her under the sea.

Junior Member Euro Pod Tiefenrausch's Avatar
    I've already seen it and despite it being quite an interesting experiment and achievement, I found it a bit too much of a hassle to have really fun with it. I love seeing scientists using text adventures and things like dungeons and dragons to train their AIs with, but when I'm the consumer I prefer stories that are coherent and are pre written, since it gives the story focus and a a direction, even if it of course limits the possibilities.

I run several minecraft servers here at my apartment. I am totally going to have to give this a try as one of the servers I run is modded with forge and running 1.7.10