Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling Ugly?

Add Astrid_Delphine86 on Facebook
    Visit Astrid_Delphine86's Youtube Channel

Unhappy Feeling Ugly?

When I first started mermaiding, I was about four sizes smaller - especially in the stomach area.

Things have seriously changed and although my cloth tail DOES still fit, I no longer feel "pretty" anymore as a mermaid. Dieting and loosing weight is not an option as this is hereditary and not because of habits.

What can I do, inexpensively, to make myself pretty again?

(This picture really shows the bane of my concerns)
    Name:  GOPR0017 - Copy.JPG
Views: 554
Size:  341.2 KB
    "She was caught up in her own little world of surprise, shock, joy and a dash of horror.... She had somehow become a mermaid"
    -Favorite quote ever read in a mermaid book!

Astrid Delphine: an adult mermaid who has to wear special half-face goggles just to be able to swim underwater because she never learned to swim without plugging her nose

Also, the two places I can swim at don't allow for make up and jewelry is "at-your-own-risk" (i nearly lost my name engraved bracelet during one swim!) so those options are kinda out in this case.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania moomer's Avatar
    Lady,
    First off your a mermaid. I don't believe for one second that your ugly.
    You have the cheekiest smile that I have seen on a mer in a long time!! You make me think of the one that would sit on the rocks, singing and luring people in. Then bam. That smile and the people realise they are in trouble.
    Also, second to that, what pool can tell you not to wear makeup! Glitter I can understand but there is still heaps of lower key stuff you could do.
    I LOVE swimming with my lippy on. And have gotten over the initial weird feeling of putting it on specifically for the pool

Remember that you're a mermaid. You're part of a global group that all think you're gorgeous. <3

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Ugly is a rude word in the mer world! There is no such thing as an ugly mermaid. We are all unique and beautiful.
    Formerly known as ireneho

My best advice? If there’s no changing it, own it! I’ve lived far too much of my life in fear, and if there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s that life is too short to care about such things.

If you’d still like to err on the modest side, there are lovely tankinis that both complete a mer look and help you feel more at ease.

Let me know if there’s anything I can help you with!

All my (mer)friendly love,
    Mermaid Whisper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Twilight darkens, yet there in the shade,
    Lies a glimmering shadow, the wild mermaid;

As night draws ever closer, there's a choice to be made--
    Will you stay as you are, or be delivered to the waves?

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Tula's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Tula On Twitter Add Mermaid Tula on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Tula on Tumblr
    So even though they say no makeup, what about makeup stains? Like lip stains? Honestly, I think you're gorgeous and I understand feeling like you don't look your best. (I'm plus size and I have super thin hair)
    Hi! I'm Sam, aka Mermaid Tula, aka Comatose Angel.
    Hey everyone. I just opened my store on Facebook.
    http://www.facebook.com/tulastidepool

Mermaid Tula's Facebook Page

User previously know as "Comatose_Angel"

Yes... I do think it is time to sew a tankini and I have lots of great ideas!

Thanks everyone for your support
    "She was caught up in her own little world of surprise, shock, joy and a dash of horror.... She had somehow become a mermaid"

Astrid Delphine: an adult mermaid who has to wear special half-face goggles just to be able to swim underwater because she never learned to swim without plugging her nose

Usually the solution is to learn to love yourself as you are (easier said than done, right?), or to learn to work with what you've got and find swimwear that flatters your shape and plays up your better features. No matter what features you have that you're not feeling so confident about, there's always a work around to make yourself feel better.
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

You are absolutely beautiful! It sounds like you have a new body, so you have to learn how to work with it. Our bodies always change! Age, children, weight gain, weight loss and medical issues are just a few reasons why it happens. It's perfectly normal! There is more good news too - there is a lot of swim wear for every shape and every size.

Make this a treasure hunt! Start looking for new swim wear that is made for You! I have found great things at thrift stores when money is tight and when regular stores didn't have what I wanted. I'm sure you will be able to find something you feel great in!

And hopefully you will see what others on this thread see... The Beautiful Mermaid that you are

Sent from my Android Phone

Add Skyla on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Astrid_Delphine86 View Post
    When I first started mermaiding, I was about four sizes smaller - especially in the stomach area.

Things have seriously changed and although my cloth tail DOES still fit, I no longer feel "pretty" anymore as a mermaid. Dieting and loosing weight is not an option as this is hereditary and not because of habits.

What can I do, inexpensively, to make myself pretty again?

(This picture really shows the bane of my concerns)
    Name:  GOPR0017 - Copy.JPG
Views: 554
Size:  341.2 KB
    Dear Astrid,

Hi! I'm Skyla, nice to meet u
    First of all, u can be whatever u want to be! If u want to be a mermaid, then u ARE a mermaid, if u eant to be a princess, you ARE a princess.

I think that what u are having problems, it isn't with your weight... it isn't with your appearance.. not at all cause u are pretty , but u are having trouble on loving yourself! If you love yourself, nothing will change!

If your weight bother that much, go to the doctor.. maybe it's hereditary, but maybe u can have some problems too, so the most important is to u stay health! You know that we all have to be! haha

The truth is, no one feels themselves 100% pretty, and forget that the most important appearance is the one that comes from your soul! That one is the really one that matters, cause even the prettiest person if they have an ugly soul, they will be the UGLIEST person on earth.. haha

I know what u feel, sometimes I feel that I'm ugly too.. but then I remember what really matters and don't let it bothers me

With a loot of love and hugs,

Skyla

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    I want to be part of your world..

If it is hereditary, then perhaps your doctor can help you and prescribe a medication that can cause weight control? Remember that you are still beautiful though, no matter shape or size, all mermaids are beautiful. Maybe you could try a fun new hair color, or a henna tattoo that compliments your curves?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Seaspray Mermaid's Avatar
    Follow Seaspray Mermaid On Twitter Add Seaspray Mermaid on Facebook Add Seaspray Mermaid on Google+
    Follow Seaspray Mermaid on Tumblr Visit Seaspray Mermaid's Youtube Channel
    You are beautiful! You are strong! You are a mermaid, one of the most magical creatures of all time! I struggle with the same thoughts, I'm a mother and the post-baby body is not what I want for myself, but I tell myself 5 things I like about myself every day that have nothing to do with how I look.
    Why blend in when you were so obviously destined to stand out?

Name:  WIN_20170904_11_27_05_Pro.jpg
Views: 513
Size:  109.6 KB I already done a blue streak last July when I got my Asperger's diagnosis and I love it... I can't see my doctor until end of April because she's out of the country (I don't trust anyone else)...

I am in the process of working on SEWING my own new tankini. I will share pictures when it's done.

I have done previous mermaid projects recently to help the situation:
    Name:  Mid17_shirts.jpg
Views: 559
Size:  50.3 KB
    Now I just need to make swimsuit tops!

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    You are not alone. But, as you can see in the photo, people enjoy Mers despite the imperfections we see in ourselves.
    Name:  Anna Maria pic.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  95.8 KB
    If you want to make a change, there is really only one way: Heed the First Law of Thermodynamics: If you eat it and do not burn it, you sit on it. Also, you cannot run away from a poor diet. The net result; the only way to lose weight is to eat less. I really should lose 90 pounds.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    You are a freaking MERMAID!! No one will even notice a bit of ''blubber''. You are gorgeous anyways, and don't you forget it!

I agree with everything being said here about body positivity, but if you still feel self-conscious about your belly, you could incorporate some sort of skirt into your mermaid look.

I made a fishnet skirt, you can see it in this thread: https://mernetwork.com/index/showthr...=mermaid+skirt I might decorate it with finfolk mythic scales in the future

Or you could use a short belly dance skirt as a base, such as this one: https://globescribbler.files.wordpre...04/belly-2.jpg Remove the coins, add shells, pearls etc and everyone will envy your innovative look!
    Last edited by MermaidLiara; 02-08-2018 at 08:54 AM.

So I have sewed a thing... I just now need ideas on how to decorate it!

Name:  MajorityBlue.png
Views: 701
Size:  642.8 KB

Senior Member Pod of Oceania moomer's Avatar
    That looks great!! I love the panels! The wave you have put in them looks awesome.
    Maybe embellish the straps with fake pearls? Or drape a string of them (with cheeky stitches) along the panel lines?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I'm thinking more along the lines of fishnet.... i just need to figure out what materials it needs to be made out of to survive the chlorine water and where to buy it

Senior Member Pod of The South MidsummerMermaid's Avatar
    Along with my new hobby of mermaiding, I also LARP. I'm a very short, 5" person with a very pale completion, and a very high voice. I learned to just own who I am, which is a small and seemingly bioluminescent child XD but once I put my makeup on for LARP, I turn into whatever I want and getting into character allows me to make a new me. Makeup and prosthetics (I wear elf ears) change me into being someone new. If you see yourself as one thing, everyone else will see that too. One of the reasons I love Larping. So, hon, whoever you are, whatever you look like, as long as you see yourself as beautiful and carry yourself with pride, that's what everyone else is going to see. It took me a long time to see that

Sent from my shell phone using MerNetwork mobile app
    ***** I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living *****