Thread: LG G6 This Shell Phone Takes Underwater Video?!?! & Affordable shellphones?/on going

LG G6 This Shell Phone Takes Underwater Video?!?! & Affordable shellphones?/on going

Hello Mers!
    I just thought I'd share this in case anyone is interested in getting a new phone with water resistance. I think it would be useful for professional mers or aspiring professional mers for whom money is tight. How long this phone will hold up as a underwater camera, I don't know but I am happy to expiement and record my results here.
    Typically water resistance doesn't mean the same thing as waterproof. But in this case the lines kind of get blurred.

I am not sponsored or anything I have just found this phone (LG G6) to be a great tool in running my own small bussiness and now I am thinking of making a tail swimming video with the camera now that I have tested it.

The G6 is water "resistant"/water proof and a few days ago I used it to film a short somewhat shakey video of my swim and took my phone underwater. I was really nervous at first but I had researched this subject to death before I tried it. I was cringing the whole time, but..... it has been a couple days and everything on my phone is running just as smoothly as it was before. I've had no problems with the speakers or the microphone during calls so I can say the experiment was a success!

https://youtu.be/Y4GsD9NhTB0

Another reason I mentioned this is that this phone kind of was phased out when the Google Pixel came out. I bought mine 6 months after it came out for about $400. But now I am seeing tons of them pop up on eBay for $100-$200. I wish I could have waited but I needed phone fast after I killed my IPhone 4 by taking it hiking in the rain.
    I asked the verizion guy for something for people who abuse their phones like I do and told him about my party business and my need for a good camera and he recommend this phone and it has been a perfect fit for me. I might talk about the app "thumbtack" and how I get birthday parties through it later but just know that there a boatload of other highly customizable features on the G6 that make it great for someone running a small business. That may have more to do with switching from iPhone to Android but as far as I know the G6 is the only phone that is water "resistant" to the point were you can take it in the pool with you. If you know any other post them with a price comparison below

I would low for you photo/video experts to share some knowledge about the quality. I don't expect the quality of the video to be as good as actual underwater cameras like the gopro etc but I thought that this might be an affordable option for someone like myself just starting out as a professional mermaid who is around water all the time anyways and might need an added layer of protection in case they drop their phone in the water. Or wants to get adventurous and film a swimming video.

The Manufacturer specifies that it won't hold up to repeated use, b/c chlorine or dirt can eventually erode the seal around the microphone and speakers. There is a limit on how many meters deep in the water you can bring the phone.
    I just placed the phone on the bottom of the 5ft end of the pool and swam over it.

I have an Otter box case around it and thought this would also help to keep water out as well but I was wrong and it actually trapped water in between the phone screen and the thin plastic screen cover of the case. When I first took it out I panicked because the touch screen wasn't responding in some parts and I thought I killed the LCD display. I dried the case off before taking it apart and it was still not responding, I opened the case completely up and out came the water turns out the otter box has a sponge like pad that was holding water and the unresponsive spots on my screen were just water.

Long-term I really would feel safer if I had a second layer of protection around it I've seen these clear water-proof phone cases that close like a clamped zip lock bag I would like to use.

That being said it is not designed as like an underwater camera (I have never owned one so I don't know.) If you want to take video you have to start recording out of the water because the touch screen will not respond went wet. I haven't tried pictures yet but I imagine you would need to set up the timer function out of water and close the phone and/or use the bottom volume buttons to take a photo by yourself. It just occurred to me that it would probably be a lot easier if you had someone with you in the the pool taking photos. As we have discussed before I have no merwrangler and it is difficult for me to arrange times when friends can meet up and take photos and videos. So I guess that is another potential advantage is that I can do it all myself. Though I may need a bit of practice. I made a couple of mistakes with the video: I used the close-up lens instead of The Faraway lens so I didn't get the entirety of my swim and the video is vertical... -_- but we'll see how this works out next time when I turn it horizontal.

The only down side is for some reason the storage is very limited and you need that for video but even that can be fixed. You can add a micro SD and there are tutorials on YouTube to change it so the phone accepts it as additional storage. I am not a techie but my dad works in IT so a somepoint I will have him fix this for me.

There are still more things to test.
    I would love to hear some constructive feed back on this idea.
    If you have a G6 let me know what you use it for and what you would like me to try.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    You are never alone.
    There are about
    7,266,786,800 people in the world.
    So mathematically speaking,
    Even if your are one in a million there are still about
    72,667 people who are just like you.

You should use a go pro instead.Its a little pricey but its built like a tank and will last you years.It's also super portable can be attached to anything

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I know quite a few underwater performers who use their iphones to film themselves and say they prefer it over their Gopros.
    The best looking underwater performance I've ever seen was filmed and edited on an iphone 5c.

Maybe it's easier to handle when you're on your own, not sure as I don't own a phone.
    At any rate, a Gopro is not always the best or only option.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    North Pacific Pod

Oregon. Home of bipolar weather and rain in 30 degree weather.
    Add SIF on Facebook
    Visit SIF's Youtube Channel
    https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...fYIBpwQ8wIImAY

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...fYIBpwQ8wIImAY

I owned a Fuji XP waterproof for quite a while and they're very durable.(So long as you don't accidentally run them over with cars...) They're also fairly affordable if you catch them on sales and COSTCO was selling them in the 70's or 80's range last week.

Just found the Polaroid one the other day, but thinking about it.
    When you're caught and find yourself tossed back,
    take advantage of the motion, and catch the next wave!