Thread: WaterWay's new Mermaid monofin!

WaterWay's new Mermaid monofin!

Hi merfolk,

WaterWay released a new type of monofin! I think it looks great:

Name:  Waterway Mermaid Monofin.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  187.3 KB

I think it would hold op a silicone fluke very well due to it's shape. It sounds like it's very comfortable (neoprone lining in footpockets).

There are 3 options for blade stiffness: soft, medium, and hard. I recommend medium or hard for a fabric tail.

What do you guys think of this new monofin?

Here's the link: https://www.freedivershop.com/waterw...d-tail-monofin
    Last edited by MermaidLiara; 01-08-2019 at 07:23 AM.

Hopefully it gives good propulsion while letting you keep that floppy look at the fluke's end. Definitely worth watching

If it turns out well, it would be great to see tailmakers using it. Now wouldn't that be cool...
    Last edited by Ransom; 02-08-2018 at 12:27 PM.
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    It looks very much like the waterways fin I got, except for being cut to get the fish fluke shape.
    I gave mine away, as I could not use it. Their largest foot packet was too narrow for my feet. Apparently, Waterways thinks all monofin users are either average sized women, or small men.
    If you have large or wide feet, don't get this, you will not be able to put it on.

I had the medium stiffness one. It did have a reasonable amount of flex to it when swimming.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Senior Member Pod of The South
    Huh, thats really cool that they offer it! I'm not sure if I would buy one, but I might for a good price!
    ~Merman Rett Of Georgia~

(Formerly Known as Risingmermaid)

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Jaffa's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Jaffa on Facebook
    Visit Mermaid Jaffa's Youtube Channel
    Ooo! I wonder if it'll fit the Fin Funs, Magictails etc.
    Formerly known as ireneho

As a fibre fin it is probably stronger than standard monofins which is good (having a hard fibre monofin without a shape for a tail).
    I would appreciate it if a stronger mermaiding monofin would exist but I would not buy it as long as my existing two monofins won't break.

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Jaffa View Post
    Ooo! I wonder if it'll fit the Fin Funs, Magictails etc.
    It looks way too big for Finfun tails.

I'm hoping it fits in Finfolk's fabric tails.

Red face Reviews?

Hi! Has anyone tried this fin yet? I want to get a stronger fin than my current finfun and came across this one, so would love to know more about it.

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    I have a Waterways Competitor with a medium stiffness blade and I LOVE it! I wish I had seen this earlier this summer as I would like to have incorporated it into the silicone tail I'm building.

Visit Sammi_Ray's Youtube Channel
    Just seen this mentioned on FB. Whats it like to swim in? :-)

Mermaid Sammi Ray
    Mermaid Sammi Ray

There's been a lot of talk about this fin in the Finfolk pod squad Everyone who tried it really loves the power and grace it gives. It has been confirmed to fit in the Lotus and Sea Nymph fluke, of Finfolk's fabric tails. The Loreena and Calypso fluke are still unsure as far as I know.

I do recommend sizing up like two sizes. It runs small. Depending on your height and weight, I recommend medium or hard stiffness if you're going to use it in a fabric tail. Fabric tails are slower than silicones because of drag, so you'll need to compensate with a stiffer blade.

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidLiara View Post
    There's been a lot of talk about this fin in the Finfolk pod squad Everyone who tried it really loves the power and grace it gives. It has been confirmed to fit in the Lotus and Sea Nymph fluke, of Finfolk's fabric tails. The Loreena and Calypso fluke are still unsure as far as I know.

I do recommend sizing up like two sizes. It runs small. Depending on your height and weight, I recommend medium or hard stiffness if you're going to use it in a fabric tail. Fabric tails are slower than silicones because of drag, so you'll need to compensate with a stiffer blade.
    Thanks MermaidLiara - just the info I was looking for (almost....the fluke shape I'm interested in is the Loreena).
    I'm about to buy a Finfolk fabric, but the shooter mono doesn't fit me (US8.5 women's) & also I'm used to the power/feel of a professional freedive monofin (the one I normally use is actually Waterways brand).
    I'd looove to know if anyone has had success fitting this mono into the Loreena or Calypso flukes??? ***Bonus points for swimming video showing floppy fluke ends ;-)