Thread: FYI: Glitter Destroys Oceans (Avoid it!)

Senior Member Pod of The South

Exclamation FYI: Glitter Destroys Oceans (Avoid it!)

I am fairly outspokenly anti-glitter in real life because of the incredibly damaging effects it has on the ocean, but I don't think I have ever really talked about it on here! I figured that, since a lot of people on here are passionate about ocean conservation like I am, it would be nice to share for people who don't know or realize the damage it has. Basically, micro plastics (small pieces of plastic) are TERRIBLE for the environment, and the worst kind of physical pollution for the ocean. Unlike larger forms of trash/litter/pollution, microplastics (like glitter, those plastic beads in soap or face wash, bits of plastic that come from the deterioration of larger pieces of plastic, etc.) are basically impossible to remove from the ocean. They can mix into the sand, and there is no hope to ever remove them. Not only that, but, because they are so small, they are eaten by small creatures. In fact, they pose a serious threat to phytoplankton, which are responsible for much of the Earth's oxygen. Glitter and microplastics are a serious growing issue that we should all be aware of. You can read more about it here:

http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...-a8056196.html

But, basically, please avoid unnecessary glitters or other types of small plastics!
    ~Merman Rett Of Georgia~

(Formerly Known as Risingmermaid)

Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Salty's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Salty On Twitter Add Mermaid Salty on Facebook
    *applause*

Every time I see someone covered in glitter I cringe so hard and hope hope hope it is biodegradeable. Here in Aus they've banned micro beads (the little balls in exfoliating washes) because of this exact reason. Non biodegradeable glitter should be next.

This company is worth supporting because, let's be honest, glitter can look fabulous when you're not destroying the environment for the aesthetic: https://ecostardust.com/pages/about-us

I make natural handcrafted soaps and I personally won't use glitter or micas in my soap. As much as people have said that some micas are naturally mined, I just don't feel comfortable. I did see on a website you can make your own glitter with agar agar. I'm unsure if it's safe to use like glitter on your face but it's safe to use in wash off products like hand soaps. Another thing for me is I won't use makeup but I'm gonna be designing my own eyeshadow and blushes with naturally mined clays like rose clay and plant derived powders like indigo.
    https://www.facebook.com/Thumbelina-...3334293014461/ My new public profile page where I will prolly be posting swim meetups. I'll be sharing different mer related things I find interesting and conservation/foundations that help prevent trashing our world.
    https://www.instagram.com/thumbelina_the_water_nymph/ Instagram.
    I follow/like/add back if others do. I'll be trying to update each and everyone of these as much as I can. So check back often! I follow anyone who follows me as long as it's mermaid/ocean/conservation related.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I use bio glitter! there are a few forms of bio/eco glitter that are made from minerals and eucalyptus trees instead of plastics. It's certified compostable. No animal testing. Biodegradable. It looks just like regular glitter and I find it actually looks better.

I never cared for glitter anyways. It looks cheap and filthy, and just doesn't compare to a good, hammered metallic shimmer.
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    very good info, thanks!

I always die a little inside when I see glitter-covered products. Sure it looks nice, but it gets EVERYWHERE.
    Even when "just" used in a pool, it will eventually make its way into the water system and add to the micro-bead pollution.
    I hope many mers take note and stop using this and similar products (toothpaste, facewash...)

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    very good info, thanks!

I always die a little inside when I see glitter-covered products. Sure it looks nice, but it gets EVERYWHERE.
    Even when "just" used in a pool, it will eventually make its way into the water system and add to the micro-bead pollution.
    I hope many mers take note and stop using this and similar products (toothpaste, facewash...)
    Toothpaste doesn't have glitter in it! And I need to brush my teeth?

Sent from my SM-N950U using MerNetwork mobile app

Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Salty's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Salty On Twitter Add Mermaid Salty on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by themusicalmermaid View Post
    Toothpaste doesn't have glitter in it! And I need to brush my teeth?

Sent from my SM-N950U using MerNetwork mobile app
    You will be able to see the glitter in the toothpaste. But low-abrasion ones that are recommended by dentists do not have glitter in them.