Thread: Searching for a Neoprene Tailmaker

Searching for a Neoprene Tailmaker

Hey all, it’s been a while since I started a thread. I hope it’s in the right category.

On to the good stuff!

I am in the process of developing my mersona further as well as a “signature” look, and I’ve realized that while my Fin Fun skins are absolutely beautiful, they are far from unique!

As such, I was looking to purchase a neoprene tail, but I’m unable to find a tailmaker that offers printed/painted neoprene, is within my price range, and hasn’t gone out of business. That’s sad to say, but a few sites I’ve looked at haven’t been updated since 2014 or earlier

I’m looking for something that meets these points:

-less than $400
    -preferably 1.5mm+ neoprene
    -can fit a cut competitor monofin (30” wide by 27” tall)
    -timely turnaround (no more than 2 months preferably but as short as possible)
    -customization options

I hope these don’t seem too steep as far as requirements go, but this is my ideal; I’ll compromise on some if necessary.

I wanted to make it myself as it would be quicker and cheaper, but every time I sew something I mess up a tiny part and then chuck it at the wall and pretend it never existed (like my last 3 handmade tails or my renaissance dress...)

I’ve been googling and checking Facebook and Etsy for sellers for 2 weeks now, but either I’m looking in the wrong places or there’s just no one who publicly makes neoprene tails anymore. All I can find are gorgeous $3,000 silicone or $200 fabric, not much in between.

If anyone has links, referrals, even their own shops, I’d greatly appreciate it!

Waves and wishes,
    Mermaid Whisper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Twilight darkens, yet there in the shade,
    Lies a glimmering shadow, the wild mermaid;

As night draws ever closer, there's a choice to be made--
    Will you stay as you are, or be delivered to the waves?

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper

Senior Member Pod of The South Mermaid Saoirse's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Saoirse on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Saoirse on Tumblr
    Not many makers are out there for neoprene tails because often painted neoprene can be a really time-consuming project with sometimes unexpected results in terms of fitting/paint durability. There are the Finfolk printed neoprene tails but they aren't customized so I doubt that would help towards your goal for a unique mersona.
    Worst case there are plenty of tutorials in the tailmaking thread that you might be able to tackle your own. I made mine for under $300 but it took me 4 months to finish painting her! I don't know how possible a 2 month max wait for a neoprene tail could be unless the tailmaker makes them full-time.
    I hope you do manage to find someone willing to make your tail for you though! It's stressful trying to find a solution when there isn't any options in sight.
    Saoirse (Seer-sha) means "freedom" in Gaelic, which is what I feel below the surface. I'm a freshwater mermaid.
    Empress of the Strid Empire Pod

I know Courtney Mermaid makes fabric tails, she might be able to do neoprene. Moonbunnymagica also can practically make anything and when I was pricing my silicone tail with her, she asked if I wanted neoprene on the inside. These guys are on the discord and I can ask them for you when they wake up.
    https://www.facebook.com/Thumbelina-...3334293014461/ My new public profile page where I will prolly be posting swim meetups. I'll be sharing different mer related things I find interesting and conservation/foundations that help prevent trashing our world.
    https://www.instagram.com/thumbelina_the_water_nymph/ Instagram.
    I follow/like/add back if others do. I'll be trying to update each and everyone of these as much as I can. So check back often! I follow anyone who follows me as long as it's mermaid/ocean/conservation related.

Thank you both.

I love the look and feel of partial silicone/hybrid tails, but a lot of times the silicone caulking peels up if it’s not just right, and I’m a bit terrified of that, haha.

I do own a sewing machine and have decent artistic skills, I’m just impatient with my own work and easily frustrated, in all honesty.

Looking forward to the response!

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper

I spoke with Courtney Mermaid and Moonbunnymagica. Unfortunately, Courtney only makes fabric tails and Moonbunny only does hybrid tails. I'm sure there might be others out there and if any are in the Discord, I'll send them your way.
    https://www.facebook.com/Thumbelina-...3334293014461/ My new public profile page where I will prolly be posting swim meetups. I'll be sharing different mer related things I find interesting and conservation/foundations that help prevent trashing our world.
    https://www.instagram.com/thumbelina_the_water_nymph/ Instagram.
    I follow/like/add back if others do. I'll be trying to update each and everyone of these as much as I can. So check back often! I follow anyone who follows me as long as it's mermaid/ocean/conservation related.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania Ilyena's Avatar
    Add Ilyena on Facebook
    Visit Ilyena's Youtube Channel
    I make custom seamless neoprene tails for people but I do not paint the tail for them. I currently have 1.5mm black/white neoprene ready to go, custom colours would need to be ordered in.

Neoprene tail skins
    When Fantasy is Reality

Links: ^_^
    >
    Mermaid Ilyena >Adelaide Mermaids
    >
    Hippocampus Creations >Etsy

I was just looking at your thread last night but figured you weren’t active on the project anymore as the thread was older! What are the odds!

Would paints, specifically lumieres/jacquard, show up well on black neoprene?

I’m thinking about a blue tail but also trying to revamp my image...the struggle.

If I recall, the tails were $350AUD, roughly $275USD?

Laumina the Storm Siren

Add Ilyena on Facebook
    I took a break from tail making to work on my silicone one and other things but still willing .

All my tails were done with Lumiere paint, and I'm pretty sure they were all on black neoprene. The first one took only a couple of tubs as it was a quick tail, but the blue and purple detail one took about 8, as it has to be layered on thick, it's still going strong with only a few touch ups on the heels. Though I recommend to paint the white, but I can include a couple of off cuts so you can try paints on, rather than directly on the tail itself.

Yes $350 AUD, not including postage.
    When Fantasy is Reality

>
    >

I’ve heard that the white can yellow over time, and that worries me a bit :/

I have a competitor that’s cut into a more mermaid-y shape. I need to think on my design for a bit and get back to you, haha.

Laumina the Storm Siren

Add Ilyena on Facebook
    That's fine
    When Fantasy is Reality

>
    >

purple mermaid studios makes custom silicone/neoprene tails for $300 you can ask her to make a neoprene one for you