Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Human Job?

Your Human Job?

Hi everyone,
    This is a topic that has been weighing on my mind a lot. As a whole, I see the mer community as a bunch of creative, unique people. I like to think that because of this, many of you might have a job that allows you to be creative or feel fulfilled and not like you are wasting your precious time.

I will save you the boring details but I recently put in my two weeks at my job. The job I will be leaving is my first real job that I got right after college. I have been there a little over a year now. It has really dragged me down mentally and somewhat physically and I am flooded with all sorts of thoughts. Will I ever find something that makes me happy? Do I have enough talent and drive? What do I even want to do?

I was curious though, what is your job and do you enjoy it? Or what is your dream job?

Also, do you happen to have any advise on finding a job that is right for you? In particular, one that feeds your creative soul?

If you don't really like your job, how do you cope with it? Do you plan to do really fun things on your weekends to give you something to look forward to? Do you try to do something fun after work each day?

I would really appreciate any responses! I have no idea what to do with my life so I would love to hear about how you are figuring out your own!
    www.youtube.com/MinxFox
    I love: Peacocks - Mermaiding -
    Tropical Plants
    That was her magic, she could still see the sunset, even on those darkest days. - Atticus

I am in a similar boat but I have no college degree. I work for Panera and Starbucks. It mentally and physically draining. And being looked over as if I am part of a non human machine. Or talked down to. I spend my free time with my boyfriend of 8 years witch is 50/50 stress levels. And I read and swim to try to relax. I am going to star a diet and exercise program to get healthy and get rid of stress lol also get into mermaid shape.

i don’t know what I want to do with my life either. Or even how to chose a path. I want to make enough money to comfortably support my self and have a little free time!

i know completely how you feel and seek the same advice!

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I've worked full time off and on for 9 years as a mermaid. It's really hard because I have chronic illness and no insurance. So I have throughout the years taken on contract work in the educational field, or part time that gets me insurance.

Right now I decided to go back to work full time to help support some family members. I do instructional design and train pilots I love it.

It's hard to work full time but I have a team of 12 now so my business runs fairly smoothly. Having insurance and the extra income really helps.

I really like my job and have been applying the technical skills to my mer biz

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of New England MermanJamie's Avatar
    Currently, I'm a student, but I already know what I want to do with my life. I want to be a Broadway actor.

I think it was easier for me to find out because I go to a school that is very intense academically, physically, artistically, basically in every way. When I found myself feeling horrible about my failure in everything, I thought: What is the one thing people praise me about? What is the one thing I enjoy doing in this horrible environment? What is the one thing that brings me happiness in my times of depression?

This was easier for me to see because I am in such a harsh environment that basically tells you that you are terrible at everything, so you're really forced to find your lane, what you're good at.

So, if you're trying to think about what you want to do, think about something you're good at, or something you enjoy doing. And think about the possible opportunities you could have to use that. There are people who are very smart in one subject, so they choose that for what to do, or people who are very talented at a certain art, and choose to do that.

I think the most important thing is to be happy with yourself and your life
    And when he opened his mouth, the most beautiful sound came out. A high baritone vibrated throughout the sea, and suddenly all was quiet and harmonious. That is, until the next note.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    I'm an art director/photographer and associate creative director, and I am a key member in new product development and marketing. I've been in the creative end of business my entire professional career, primarily publishing, the music and entertainment industries, and currently in the hobby industry. I'm also a tailmaker and inventor.

It's not glamorous, I work my ass off, oftentimes for people who don't appreciate just how difficult my jobs really are. But you do what you gotta do. I've had good jobs, hell, I've had GREAT jobs, and I've had jobs that nearly broke my spirit and my brain... I've owned my own businesses, I've been a corporate flunkie, and everything in between.

If I have any advice, it's work hard at what YOU want to do. Nothing is going to be handed to you. Everything comes with a cost, but YOU get to steer your destiny. Do the things that can make that happen...schooling or training...whatever it takes. Refuse to settle. Don't be a whiny bitch and cry 'why can't I have that life?'

90% of life is SHOWING UP. Are you willing to do what it takes to get what you want?

If not, then you're going to get pushed around until you die. No one regrets the things they could have done.

And yes, I am old enough to give this advice.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    I want to get into aerospace engineering... of course I'm probably too stupid.
    I would love to make a living off of horses alone, because horses are my true passion. But that industry won't pay up.

I'll probably be homeless in the woods working at Dairy Queen.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Merman Storm's Avatar
    I graduated from Cal Tech in 1977. Three months later I started working as an aeronautical engineer at a company started and run by friends of the family. I have been there for over 40 years. It is hard to imagine a place that would be better for me.
    Are you a Frozen fan? Frozen fanfiction:
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10952902/1/Rain-of-a-Child-s-Tear

Let the storm rage on!

Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kane View Post
    I want to get into aerospace engineering... of course I'm probably too stupid.
    I would love to make a living off of horses alone, because horses are my true passion. But that industry won't pay up.

I'll probably be homeless in the woods working at Dairy Queen.
    With that defeatist attitude, I wouldn't doubt it. Get off your self-pitying pony and make your life what you want it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by PearlieMae View Post
    With that defeatist attitude, I wouldn't doubt it. Get off your self-pitying pony and make your life what you want it to be.
    Uh-huh, and isn't that a great thing to tell a child who has been diagnosed with anxiety and depression, and is told they are stupid by their own parents... Maybe bother to get context before you tear someone up like that. Be encouraging, not sarcastic. Its not that hard.

Also, I love horses.... why would I get off the pity-pony?

I'm a mechanical/electrical technician and I repair, optimize and program automatic machines which are producing plastic parts.
    I like my job because every time I find a solution for a technical problem it makes me happy.
    And it pays my bills.

Uh-huh, and isn't that a great thing to tell a child who has been diagnosed with anxiety and depression, and is told they are stupid by their own parents... Maybe bother to get context before you tear someone up like that. Be encouraging, not sarcastic. Its not that hard.

Also, I love horses.... why would I get off the pity-pony?
    Then don't bitch and moan without adding said context. I WAS encouraging in the previous post and you replied like a crybaby. How am I supposed to know that you're a "child who has been diagnosed with anxiety and depression, and is told they are stupid by their own parents"?

I love horses, too. You get off the pity-pony to join life's parade.

My first job ever was at Whole Foods Market and I worked there for 7 ½ years (didn’t go to college). There were days where I’d cry before going to work because the job stressed me out so much. I had that job for three reasons: The first being BILLS, the second was the great health insurance and the third was to fund my passion for art. Long story short, I pursued my passion for art as much as I physically could while working at that stable, not so fun job. Every free moment outside of work was spent creating, learning, growing, networking. It wasn’t easy. Because of my drive I was able to build an unplanned art portfolio which opened the door for my current job, one which I love so incredibly much I sometimes want to cry out of pure happiness. I’ve now been a concept artist at the Sony Bend Studio working on the game Days Gone for 5 years. This job is 100x more demanding than my last but I welcome the challenge (and lack of time off) with open arms.

I feel like I lucked out with this career path but honestly pursuing art while working a job that I HATED was a mental salvation and my ultimate success. 7 ½ years of “I hate this.. I need out. I don’t know what to do and I need to keep a job”. Art kept me sane through the stressful times at my first job and kept me driven as a person. Art won’t be everyone’s passion or salvation obviously but it’s important to find a way to do what you love, even if you’re only able to find 30 minutes a day to dedicate to it. Having a job, whatever it might be, is the highest priority and there are ways to multitask and have projects on the side that will further your potential career in that field. Studying can be considered a project. Knitting is a project. Yoga is a project. Mermaiding can be a project. Anything that you’re passionate about can be a project. Projects = experience! Experience = opportunity.

Like right now my next endeavor is to make mermaid tails. I work 6, sometimes 7 days a week and have like an hour a day to dedicate to the mermaid craft. I make every minute count. I listen to Youtube videos and read up on anything even remotely related to the materials I'm using during my lunch breaks. How to paint, how to sculpt, how to make molds. I know all of this already but I can only get better with more exposure to the content. I have a few hours on Sunday to sculpt and test things. Job if first priority, Craft is second. Work hard and project harder! Haha. Find something you love and make it happen!! Its possible! All the resources are out there and more often than not, they're free (depending on what it is I guess..).

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    I decided when I graduated college that I wanted to focus on something in music or art since that is what my major and minor are in. After working in Hollywood as a makeup artist and portrait artist, I decided I wanted to move and try something different. A design opportunity brought me to Florida and eventually to South Florida where I started my company creating custom paintings, murals and faux finishes. But as any of my fellow artists will tell you, you can have a flurry of activity and then hit a dry spell. You have to hustle and get out there. Knowing there will always be lulls, I auditioned for some paid musical theater gigs which led to becoming a hired singer with a trio years ago. We perform for private parties and country clubs from Naples through Tampa with an agent that books our shows. I also kept my hands in the make-up field and have worked with CHANEL as their National Regional Makeup Artist for special events. Although the territory is large, it still offers me the freedom to sell my paintings at a couple galleries, take a few commissions here and there, and sing my heart out when we are booked.

So, I have been very fortunate that after all these years I am working in fields that I love and am passionate about. Sometimes I had to prioritize which was more important to me at the time but at least I was using my talents and education. If I wasn't doing something fun and creative I'd want to hit the satin box!

Then don't bitch and moan without adding said context. I WAS encouraging in the previous post and you replied like a crybaby. How am I supposed to know that you're a "child who has been diagnosed with anxiety and depression, and is told they are stupid by their own parents"?

I love horses, too. You get off the pity-pony to join life's parade.
    Crybaby? No. Sarcastic and irritated? Sure. I'm not a ''crybaby'' when I'm not afraid to stand up for myself.

Considering that I had a nice winking face in my original post, maybe you should have taken the hint that I'm partially joking. There is such thing, you know. It was NONE of your business to reply to me, anyways. And whether you had the context or not, you don't have to be rude to anyone, mental issues or not... not everyone has the patience to listen to a million people calling you out.

Anyways, I'm done. No need to start an argument here.

Right now I’m at a retail store and have been there for almost 2 years. They’re looking to put me into management, but I’m not sure if it’s something I want. For now though, with the pay raise and full time, it’s what I need.

The problem with finding a “dream” job for me is that I have too many, haha. I’d like to go into fashion design (which is why I ended up in retail) but school is way too expensive and I’m way too indecisive.

I’d love to be an artist/graphic designer, a writer, a model, a computer programmer, a magazine editor...way too many things to nail down to one that I’ll spend years doing and thousands learning. One day I’ll decide. Hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Twilight darkens, yet there in the shade,
    Lies a glimmering shadow, the wild mermaid;

As night draws ever closer, there's a choice to be made--
    Will you stay as you are, or be delivered to the waves?

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper

Crybaby? No. Sarcastic and irritated? Sure. I'm not a ''crybaby'' when I'm not afraid to stand up for myself.

Considering that I had a nice winking face in my original post, maybe you should have taken the hint that I'm partially joking. There is such thing, you know. It was NONE of your business to reply to me, anyways. And whether you had the context or not, you don't have to be rude to anyone, mental issues or not... not everyone has the patience to listen to a million people calling you out.

Anyways, I'm done. No need to start an argument here.
    I didn't see a winkie face, I saw a box. I'm a cranky old bitch and I should try harder to be nicer. I am sincerely sorry!

My real life job is managing a warehouse for a juice cafe franchise in Canada. I started out here 2 years ago as just an order picker. Pretty boring and manly job for a mermaid to have, warehouse labor haha, however I actually do like it for the most part. I like being in charge and running the show. Of course I would much rather be a marine biologist or something like that but I don't think I'll ever afford university, and I wanted to be a fashion model when I was younger, but I was too short and now I am too old too, so its a life of physical labor in the warehouse for me.
    Last edited by Imbrielle; 02-15-2018 at 03:12 PM.

I didn't see a winkie face, I saw a box. I'm a cranky old bitch and I should try harder to be nicer. I am sincerely sorry!

I'm not sure if your still joking or not..... but for the Sherlock, all is forgiven. xD

Senior Member Pod of Cali Saelyyia's Avatar
    Follow Saelyyia On Twitter Add Saelyyia on Facebook
    Follow Saelyyia on Tumblr
    My main human job is pretty soul sucking alot of the time. I work in the printing industry and over 5 to 6 departments for the shop mostly by myself and have for the past 2 1/2 years. I was hired as a receptionist after College ( I have a degree in Holistic medicine). Now my 40 hour work week often looks closer to 50 hours most weeks. But this job pays my bills and keeps a roof over our heads and food on our table most of the time. With the little time I get to myself I use to create content for my very small Patreon for fantasy costuming and cosplay modeling. And lastly there is my character entertainment business which I love but is still so small it is more of sink than a job outside of the many many hours of work I put it.

Its a hard balance, but I have always believed if you want something chase it and chase it hard because you get back what you put into something. I have many chronic health conditions that effect me physically and I may be an invisible desk clerk right now but with enough effort and managing of those conditions, time, resources, and my anxiety. My dreams are in reach.

Those are the thoughts that get me through the creativity draining, soul sucking, desk job that makes me cry several times a week, has me working so much overtime some weeks I don't even get to see my S/O or our two very sweet cats.

Sometimes Life Just Needs a Bit of Magic

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    This is a super interesting thread!!!

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app