Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Human Job?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    PS Katie your tails are gorg

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Mermaid Tula's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Tula On Twitter Add Mermaid Tula on Facebook
    Follow Mermaid Tula on Tumblr
    I work as a shoe slave. I work at Payless. *no, not all of the payless stores have closed.* I went to college at first for web design, (then they ended the program half way through me working through it) then for fine arts. I focused on metalsmithing and jewelry. That's my dream job is to be a professional jeweler. (I work mainly with silver and copper, but I have dabbled with gold). Mermaiding is also a big focus in my life. I incorporate a lot of mermaid themes into my jewelry work and art. I try to do at least one crafty thing a week to keep my sanity. Dealing with shoes and annoying customers all day is draining.
    Hi! I'm Sam, aka Mermaid Tula, aka Comatose Angel.
    Hey everyone. I just opened my store on Facebook.
    http://www.facebook.com/tulastidepool

Mermaid Tula's Facebook Page

User previously know as "Comatose_Angel"

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I've been a pianist, and later a dancer.
    Was on a long hiatus after getting ill, then discovered mermaiding and decided to take dance to the water, so now I'm doing waterballet, writing music and choreographies.

It's not easy to get by, especially when you have hefty medical bills, but it's one of the few things I can do due to certain circumstances, my strange night-day-cycle one of them.
    Last edited by Echidna; 02-15-2018 at 11:53 PM. Reason: TMI

As much as I love swimming as a mer, my real passion has been and always will be in the aviation industry. As early as grade 3 I can remember loving airplanes and everything to do with them. However thanks to some skills I aquired through genes from my mom I also am very good with infomation technologies specifically records info. So after completing my tech certificate in aircraft structures I worked in that part of the industry for 8 months till layoffs from the 2008 recession. I was able to get work in my third passion in cooking. I did that for 2 summers at a bible camp till getting work back in the aviation industry in flight operations for private aircraft. Following that layoff I went back into oil/gas industry with data entry. I had in prior years work as a contractor in records management for a oil and gas company. So following all of this I now am happier then ever working on the ramp at my local international airport as a aircraft fueller. This summer will be 4 years there. I have everything I need, decent pay, benefits, a pension and am around planes all day. Also there is nothing like working in -30 C or -22 F outside with wind and snow. I say this and yes its cocky but working outside in Canada separates the men from the boys.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Pod of Oceania The Water Phoenix's Avatar
    I work in a fast food restaurant cooking fries and cleaning up around the place, but when I leave school, I want to become a pilot because apart from my home in the sea as a mer, the sky is the place for me. I have loved aircraft since I was about 6 years old and I want to be a part of the aviation industry. Guess who's working towards getting their Private pilot's licence!? I've already flown a 152 trainer and flown a couple of gliders. I know I'm different from other girls because of my love of aviation and because of my differences, a lot of kids who were in my year though I was a weirdo and I didn't have a lot of friends. My best friend also wants to become a pilot and I'm the reason why he loves aviation! I do air cadets and it's been one of the best choices I've ever made because I get to be around other people my age who have similar interests to me!
    Be the pilot of your dreams

**The Water Phoenix: A Western Australian mer**

Instagram: thephoenixmer

Quote Originally Posted by The Water Phoenix View Post
    I work in a fast food restaurant cooking fries and cleaning up around the place, but when I leave school, I want to become a pilot because apart from my home in the sea as a mer, the sky is the place for me. I have loved aircraft since I was about 6 years old and I want to be a part of the aviation industry. Guess who's working towards getting their Private pilot's licence!? I've already flown a 152 trainer and flown a couple of gliders. I know I'm different from other girls because of my love of aviation and because of my differences, a lot of kids who were in my year though I was a weirdo and I didn't have a lot of friends. My best friend also wants to become a pilot and I'm the reason why he loves aviation! I do air cadets and it's been one of the best choices I've ever made because I get to be around other people my age who have similar interests to me!
    Keep up the pursuit of your license. Its a long road but in the end worth it. I know many pilots from students like you to a 787 dreamliner pilot.

Senior Member Pod of Oceania The Water Phoenix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MerMatt View Post
    Keep up the pursuit of your license. Its a long road but in the end worth it. I know many pilots from students like you to a 787 dreamliner pilot.

Thanks for the kind words I want to be an a380 airbus pilot, but I have sat in the cockpit of a 787
    Be the pilot of your dreams

**The Water Phoenix: A Western Australian mer**

Instagram: thephoenixmer

Senior Member Pod of Texas
    Pod of The South
    In the general area of Webster and Clear Lake in Texas
    Currently I work as a waitress at a Sushi/Japanese restaurant in Houston. Been there for over a year, and honestly, I enjoy it.
    My dream job as a kid was to go into the Air Force, but I have a heart issue, so that’s not gonna happen.

Yes, yes, a mermaid works at a sushi restaurant. Amusing. But my boss knows about my mermaid tail stuff and my plans to get a silicone one this year so I’m afraid I’ll have to bring it to work when I get it!

Follow Dogfish On Twitter
    Visit Dogfish's Youtube Channel Visit Dogfish's Vimeo Channel
    I work in animation, presently I'm working on a preschool show for Disney Junior. It's a job I've always wanted and I'm pleased to say that I feel very fulfilled in my career - I think a lot of people get put off perusing creativity or their dreams, and it can be difficult in our modern society to stick to what you believe in. Certainly it doesn't always pay as well as other jobs, but I wouldn't have it any other way.

Mermaiding, cosplay and art are all huge parts of my life and I've been fortunate to pursue my passions - it's always been something so ingrained in my life that I find it odd when people would question mermaids, or kids toys, or cosplay as 'weird' (I have a study full of mementos from kid's shows and games). This is all I do every day XD We all need to stay in touch with our inner child! No matter what kid's show we see on tv, or doll, or teddy, it was made by a passionate team of grownups.

I am a stay-at-home mom! I do love it, but it's really hard because I sometimes feel like I wasted my education. But financially it made no sense to stay at the job I was at when she was born.

Right now I am working on starting up my own fashion line. I would love to perform professionally someday, but I'm in my 30s so, it may not be a realistic goal.

Editing to add my previous jobs were teaching English in Japan, in the US; K5 and first grade, and working in the pharmaceutical industry.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app

Senior Member Pod of New England MermanJamie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    I've been a pianist, and later a dancer.
    Was on a long hiatus after getting ill, then discovered mermaiding and decided to take dance to the water, so now I'm doing waterballet, writing music and choreographies.

It's not easy to get by, especially when you have hefty medical bills, but it's one of the few things I can do due to certain circumstances, my strange night-day-cycle one of them.
    My voice teacher tells me that I should do dance sometime if I want to get on Broadway. She also said that just because I act so animated when I sing. If I meet you sometime, maybe you can teach me!
    And when he opened his mouth, the most beautiful sound came out. A high baritone vibrated throughout the sea, and suddenly all was quiet and harmonious. That is, until the next note.

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Pickles View Post
    Yes, yes, a mermaid works at a sushi restaurant. Amusing. But my boss knows about my mermaid tail stuff and my plans to get a silicone one this year so I’m afraid I’ll have to bring it to work when I get it!
    Just lay down on the conveyor to bring in customers - I'm sure you'll get a raise.... hahaha.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod PearlieMae's Avatar
    Follow PearlieMae On Twitter Add PearlieMae on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Kane View Post
    I'm not sure if your still joking or not..... but for the Sherlock, all is forgiven. xD
    I am being most sincere.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by MermanJamie View Post
    My voice teacher tells me that I should do dance sometime if I want to get on Broadway. She also said that just because I act so animated when I sing. If I meet you sometime, maybe you can teach me!
    You're in a place where there is a great dance school on every corner^^

and yes, dance lessons are a must if you want to go musical, even if you plan to be a singer first and foremost.

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    You're in a place where there is a great dance school on every corner^^

and yes, dance lessons are a must if you want to go musical, even if you plan to be a singer first and foremost.
    I meant that I know you from the community, so it's good we have something else in common as well, and maybe you could tell me a little about it. I have to start taking dance lessons when I get my schedule sorted out, and after the insane Christian woman who I'm close to stops saying it's "too feminine for me."
    And when he opened his mouth, the most beautiful sound came out. A high baritone vibrated throughout the sea, and suddenly all was quiet and harmonious. That is, until the next note.

I work at an aquarium! It's pretty awesome. I love getting to see the sharks and rays each weekend.

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by MermanJamie View Post
    I have to start taking dance lessons when I get my schedule sorted out, and after the insane Christian woman who I'm close to stops saying it's "too feminine for me."
    Jamie, please remind your "friend" of some of the most well known male dancers of all time that she should know...if she is as intelligent as she is opinionated: Fred Astaire (classic ballroom, movie/musical theater)
    Gene Kelly (movie/musical theater)
    Gregory Hines (tap)
    Sammy Davis Jr. (tap)
    Savion Glover (percussive tap)
    Mikael Baryshnikov (ballet)
    Danny Kaye (movie/musical theater)
    Domingo Ortega (flamenco)
    Farruquito (flamenco)
    Bob Fosse (movie/jazz)
    We could go on here forever with all styles of dance and don't get me started on the choreographers!
    All experts in their respective fields of dance, all men, all STRAIGHT (not that that's a barometer for masculinity because it simply isn't.)

I have don a TON of musical theater in my life and played all different kinds of roles. Having a good foundation in dance always came in handy because it only increases your value as a performer. Most of the successful actors on Broadway are triple threats as you know! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Keiris View Post
    Jamie, please remind your "friend" of some of the most well known male dancers of all time that she should know...if she is as intelligent as she is opinionated: Fred Astaire (classic ballroom, movie/musical theater)
    Gene Kelly (movie/musical theater)
    Gregory Hines (tap)
    Sammy Davis Jr. (tap)
    Savion Glover (percussive tap)
    Mikael Baryshnikov (ballet)
    Danny Kaye (movie/musical theater)
    Domingo Ortega (flamenco)
    Farruquito (flamenco)
    Bob Fosse (movie/jazz)
    We could go on here forever with all styles of dance and don't get me started on the choreographers!
    All experts in their respective fields of dance, all men, all STRAIGHT (not that that's a barometer for masculinity because it simply isn't.)

I have don a TON of musical theater in my life and played all different kinds of roles. Having a good foundation in dance always came in handy because it only increases your value as a performer. Most of the successful actors on Broadway are triple threats as you know! Good luck!
    Thank you so much. I also want to tell her that I know many athletes do dance. When I did Spelling Bee earlier this year, I felt a little embarrassed because I have not done any dance, and so, while I'm pretty good at singing and acting, I need to get the third sphere covered if I ever want to achieve my dream.

I've been talking to one of my best friends, who will hopefully be the first person I tell about the mer community (she's into fantasy and stuff like that as well, and is very open minded and supportive), is an incredibly talented dancer. She did National Dance Institute for a while, and I went to see her a few times in her shows. She has been giving me advice on how to approach this, and I'm so thankful. I would never know what to do if not for her.

I also have my voice teacher backing me up on this, so that's another great thing.

I have a couple other people I know will help me through this. And trust me, this isn't the first time she's deemed something I want to do "too feminine" or "so gay." Honestly, I'm sick of her being so homophobic. And she refuses to admit it. She doesn't know it, but I've been a big part of the Queer-Straight Alliance at my school lately. I don't know much about my identity, and it's too early for me to think about that, but right now, I just want to help as many people as possible.

I work as a deckhand and historian aboard an antique steamship (the same one shown in my sig.) I occasionally wear my tail at work (to greet passengers at festivals), but usually I stay in uniform xD. I love my work, and my passion is for maritime history of the Seattle area.

My college degree is in theatrical costume making, however I don't make any money in that field. (Just make a lot of my own costumes)

Triton Mahtlinnie of Puget Sound
    Facebook / Tumblr

Senior Member Euro Pod MermanOliver's Avatar
    I'm an electrical engineer, which is a job I wanted to do since school. Graduating from university was a hard and painful path, but it was worth it. My current job is designing electronics for automotive systems, it is interesting, pays well, but is quite stressful at times, especially when there is a major problem (most of them are...) and the deadlines are pressing. Nevertheless I really like what I'm doing.

My dream job would be designing electronics for unterwater robots (a.k.a. ROVs) and deep-sea systems, but those jobs are currently either in the military supply, the oil industry or, when in research, terribly paid and really hard to come by.

One note: Every job has its ups and downs, and even a dream job can and will be annoying at times. The most important thing is that the ups more than compensate the downs that will occur.