Thread: I'm I the only mermaid that hates H20?

Junior Member Pod of Cali

I'm I the only mermaid that hates H20?

I don't like ruffling other mermaids scales,I just can't get over how pro Seaworld the series is!I used to LOVE the movie Aquamarine until I did some research;and found that it has ties to Seaworld as they use a trained dolphin for one of the scenes.

Does anyone know of any other Mermaid shows or movies that has nothing to do with Seaworld that you can recommend me to to watch!?

Member Pod of Oceania Mermaid Salty's Avatar
    Follow Mermaid Salty On Twitter Add Mermaid Salty on Facebook
    The original H2O series is Australian. The Seaworld in Australia isn't like the one in America. They aren't even related, they are two seperate companies. Sea World Aus doesn't capture dolphins - they only keep rehabilitated animals that can't be released like, if they are permanently disabled or too young to survive in the wild (but they also breed from their captive dolphins so there is a big ethical debate there..)

Sea World Australia's primary goal is to release their animals back into the wild. They have tons of dolphins, but only a few perform in shows (the young and energetic ones - they don't 'force' any of their animals to perform, by not feeding them, for example) and the show 'tricks' that these animals perform are the same behaviours they would exhibit in their natural environment - swimming fast, jumping etc. None of the animals are ever locked in their exhibits either - they're free to come and go as they please.

There are also no imports or exports of ceteaceans in Australia, and Sea World directly opposes Taiji.

Oh thank you for the info,I did't know that about the Australia Sea world!I might try to give the show another go at knowing that now.I didn't know there was two separate companies and I assumed that it was the USA Seaworld.

I'm all for animal rehabilitation,also if an animal can not be released to give them a comfortable home as we can.

*edit
    Looking at the website now it looks like a perfect examples of what a marine rehabilitation should be.
    Last edited by OrcaKai; 02-20-2018 at 10:02 PM.

No problem. I was very uncomfortable about Sea World (I lived right near it) when Blackfish came out so I started to do some research and learned they are as far from each other as can be.

I dislike it not for any of the reasons you posted, but because the series has some really awkward pacing that makes it hard to watch. Sure it's about mermaids, but it's still just another awkward tweeny-bopper highschool drama show.
    bluecorvidae.deviantart.com

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Mermaid Kane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCorvidae View Post
    Sure it's about mermaids, but it's still just another awkward tweeny-bopper highschool drama show.
    Yep, one reason I dislike it.

This is true but.. mermaids. Plus they are actually swimming, there are real tails etc.. I mainly watched it for the underwater scenes.

I am a huge nerd for the teen est drama with supernatural stuff,I did grow up with disney channel movies and it gives me this vibe!

Junior Member North Pacific Pod Flick's Avatar
    The show certainly has its upsides and downsides, but one thing's for certain: It's still better than Mako Mermaids

How would they be able to have dolphins near the actors if they didn't have trained ones? Real life dolphins can kill (and will kill people), there are more injuries and deaths of humans by dolphins than sharks. Not every animal park is bad, it depends on who's running it which I would think with the extremely tough rules Australia has, they wouldn't allow poor care of animals. Another prime example of a good animal park/zoo is Disney's Animal Kingdom and Epcots The Living Seas (renamed Finding Nemo and Friends). They go above and beyond to care and make sure the humans and animals are safe and well cared for. At Epcot Living Seas they have a behind the scenes thing where you can go and meet their 4 male dolphins (I have been going 10 yrs in a row now) and they aren't being pressured to do anything they don't want to. If the dolphins don't want to play, you're out of your money to see them (but you still learn A LOT from the tour). Proceeds for any of the Disney animal related things go towards Disney's Conservation foundation to help the world. Unless a movie/show uses robotic, CGI, or puppets, you're not gonna have much to watch cuz almost every movie/show uses trained animals like Homeward Bound, Project X, Lassie, and Free Willy.
    https://www.facebook.com/Thumbelina-...3334293014461/ My new public profile page where I will prolly be posting swim meetups. I'll be sharing different mer related things I find interesting and conservation/foundations that help prevent trashing our world.
    https://www.instagram.com/thumbelina_the_water_nymph/ Instagram.
    I follow/like/add back if others do. I'll be trying to update each and everyone of these as much as I can. So check back often! I follow anyone who follows me as long as it's mermaid/ocean/conservation related.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCorvidae View Post
    I dislike it not for any of the reasons you posted, but because the series has some really awkward pacing that makes it hard to watch. Sure it's about mermaids, but it's still just another awkward tweeny-bopper highschool drama show.
    same. When I first watched it, I hated it (except for the underwater scenes), I also hated the many fishing scenes BUT,
    meanwhile I've seen most of the actors in different roles and they kind of grew on me, so began to like it, rewatched it several times.
    Even better to know the Aus Seaworld is different, thanks Salty for pointing that out!
    (also, season 3 is significantly better than the earlier ones imo)

Still, it'd be grand if there were more mermaid movies/shows targetted at an adult audience and not teenies or kids.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I don't hate it but was never a fan. It's geared toward the preteen market and I was already old when it came out lol

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid_Victoria View Post
    How would they be able to have dolphins near the actors if they didn't have trained ones? Real life dolphins can kill (and will kill people), there are more injuries and deaths of humans by dolphins than sharks.
    is there a source for this?
    Like, a kills-by-dolphins worldwide per year, as for sharks?

I know of killings, but those are isolated cases and always triggered by outrageous behaviour of the morons involved.
    Like the tourists trying to "catch" and drag a friendly dolphin onto shore to better take pictures, those ramming an ice cream cone into his blowhole, etc, etc.
    Can't really blame the dolphins for fighting back when their life is in danger.

There are far too many dolphins (and all other sea creatures) dying already from human transgression.
    No need to fearmonger with how dangerous they all are, when leaving them alone is usually the only thing you need to do to be perfectly safe.

yes, that was off-topic, but it needed to be said.

Follow Dogfish On Twitter
    Visit Dogfish's Youtube Channel Visit Dogfish's Vimeo Channel
    The show never really grew on me because of the teenage angst stuff - that, and I preferred animated shows. It was cool to see some of the underwater scenes though.

Reading others comments, I'd have to research further on my thoughts with the dolphins in the show - having been to Seaworld as a child, and seen Blackfish, among other things, I genuinely think dolphins and others should not be held captive, especially when entertainment is involved. Of course, this doesn't necessarily mean that those working with them don't have the best intentions.

I would have some doubts that any animal used in filming was anything other than a captive trained animal, for insurance reasons. Doesn't mean the animal is ill treated but doesn't sit well with me either. But laws change all the time, and at the time of the filming, it was likely intended as positively as possible (the show is about the sea being protected and all that if I remember?)

Quote Originally Posted by Echidna View Post
    is there a source for this?
    Like, a kills-by-dolphins worldwide per year, as for sharks?

I know of killings, but those are isolated cases and always triggered by outrageous behaviour of the morons involved.
    Like the tourists trying to "catch" and drag a friendly dolphin onto shore to better take pictures, those ramming an ice cream cone into his blowhole, etc, etc.
    Can't really blame the dolphins for fighting back when their life is in danger.

There are far too many dolphins (and all other sea creatures) dying already from human transgression.
    No need to fearmonger with how dangerous they all are, when leaving them alone is usually the only thing you need to do to be perfectly safe.

yes, that was off-topic, but it needed to be said.
    Injuries and deaths, dolphins sometimes will do some pretty gruesome things if they can get a hold of you (not even gonna say what). Sometimes they will also "play" with people not realizing their strength and you'll end up injured from such. I don't have quotes or websites because it was said by the researchers on the dolphin tours I was speaking about. When you go on these behind the scene tours, you aren't allowed to take pictures, video or voice recordings. So pretty much its word of mouth of what you heard and saw during the tour. Disney wouldn't use scare tactics on the people, they stated with precautions and safety around such animals. Also, Orcas are considered dolphins so they are bunched in with this statements and we have seen many instances of them being aggressive.
    https://www.facebook.com/Thumbelina-...3334293014461/ My new public profile page where I will prolly be posting swim meetups. I'll be sharing different mer related things I find interesting and conservation/foundations that help prevent trashing our world.
    https://www.instagram.com/thumbelina_the_water_nymph/ Instagram.
    I follow/like/add back if others do. I'll be trying to update each and everyone of these as much as I can. So check back often! I follow anyone who follows me as long as it's mermaid/ocean/conservation related.

Dolphin attacks on humans are very rare, and I would be very surprised if they outnumber shark attacks.

They do happen, though, and not always because of human aggression, it can sometimes result simply from humans not understanding dolphin psychology. This article is illuminating:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...d-by-a-dolphin

That particular dolphin has gone on to attack other humans, and someone even caught a recording of one attack:

It doesn't just happen outdoors either. I'm aware of an attack that happened at a swim with the dolphins spot in Cancun, Mexico, for example.

Here's a video of a dolphin butting someone it took a dislike to at a swim with the dolphins venue:

Senior Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Holly's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Holly on MySpace
    Generally, I don't hate the show. I watched it as a kid and actually enjoyed both the teen drama and the underwater scenes.

Fairly recently, I went back and researched the first few episodes... and hated it. The acting is so cringy and the show seems so dated after only a few years.

The only upside for me would be the swimming scenes, where there's no whining. Or acting. Or talking.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    "Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me."

Psalm 42:7

You have to keep in mind that the show is aimed at the kids/tweens market. It's not sophisticated adult acting. IME kids love the show.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Mermaid Holly's Avatar
    Add Mermaid Holly on MySpace
    I was a tween when I went back and watched it, and I still hated it. I'm just a teen now.

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    "Deep calls to deep in the roar of your waterfalls; all your waves and breakers have swept over me."

Psalm 42:7