Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Siren, the new mermaid series on free form!!!!

I just finished the latest episode and oh, wow. It's honestly a great series imo, and very feelsy at times while suspenseful at others. I will say for anyone who's worried, it's not as much of a horror as I imagined, at all. It's kind of more like a mermaid drama with elements of horror and some bits are genuinely a little bit... cute?
    I recommend it to everyone!
    Formerly known as Mermaid Cosmica

Senior Member Pod of Texas Mermaid Delphinidae's Avatar
    Finished the season. Overall it had a lot of cliches, but I still found it enjoyable. I'm wondering what they're gonna do for the next season, I hope they try to do something a bit newer.

All right, so who's still tuning in? None of my friends are watching but I wanna talk, lol. I'm loving this show.

Senior Member Pod of Cali Saelyyia's Avatar
    Follow Saelyyia On Twitter Add Saelyyia on Facebook
    Follow Saelyyia on Tumblr
    I'm still watching it, but I'm a few episodes behind due to my work schedule

Sometimes Life Just Needs a Bit of Magic

This show is BY FAR the best mermaid show that has ever been made. The store is amazing, the characters totally believable, the writing is excellent. There was an awesome twist at the end of April and I can't wait to watch the next ones. Typically my boyfriend and I binge watch them once a month, because they are so good!

And of course, I should mention the mermaid CGI, is also better than anything else I've seen. There are a TON of mermaids in seasons 3 too.

Every week, I love what they’re doing with Xander’s character even more. I love his growth.

I'm so sad that it got canceled

Sent from my SM-G960U using MerNetwork mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Cerulean.Mermaidd View Post
    I'm so sad that it got canceled

Sent from my SM-G960U using MerNetwork mobile app
    I'm disappointed but not surprised. Ratings dropped a lot during season 3 and with all of the CGI, this probably isn't the cheapest show to produce. Also the season 3 finale was totally one of those "we don't know whether or not the show is getting renewed so we need to make an episode that can function as a series finale while also leaving some stuff open for story if we do get renewed".

I wonder if they'd be willing to continue the series in another medium, like comics or novels.

Also sad that it's been cancelled. But I can also see why they did. I wasn't a fan of the acting and judging by everyone else's reaction. Neither were most of you guys. I also felt that it was terribly written and that the relationships felt railroaded you know which one I'm talking about I haven't managed to finish all the episodes yet as I was watching it on showmax and I cancelled my subscription for the meantime as I'm not a fan of most the shows they have on there that are available in SA. So I'll reserve my full judgement for when I have

Ah well, maybe we'll have some other brace souls embark on a voyage to bring us some quality mermaid entertainment. I really am a fan of the monstrous mermaid trope. Or mermaids inspired by marine mammals. She creature will always remain my top pick, even though she has more of a melusine style tail ( which has its own charms)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheChimera View Post
    Also sad that it's been cancelled. But I can also see why they did. I wasn't a fan of the acting and judging by everyone else's reaction. Neither were most of you guys. I also felt that it was terribly written and that the relationships felt railroaded you know which one I'm talking about I haven't managed to finish all the episodes yet as I was watching it on showmax and I cancelled my subscription for the meantime as I'm not a fan of most the shows they have on there that are available in SA. So I'll reserve my full judgement for when I have

Ah well, maybe we'll have some other brace souls embark on a voyage to bring us some quality mermaid entertainment. I really am a fan of the monstrous mermaid trope. Or mermaids inspired by marine mammals. She creature will always remain my top pick, even though she has more of a melusine style tail ( which has its own charms)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For real. Personally, I'd really like to see something animated! An animated mermaid show could actually take place primarily underwater, instead of being a land-based show with a few underwater scenes. Siren was actually pretty ambitious, it did have more and better underwater scenes than I expected, but the CGI required for that probably jacked up the production costs and contributed to its cancellation. A mermaid show could REALLY take advantage of the medium of animation.

Add Echidna on Facebook
    Visit Echidna's Youtube Channel
    I'm really tired of "mermaid shows" which have very few underwater scenes, each only a few seconds long, and the rest being talking and traipsing about on land.
    It's so unoriginal, and quite boring.
    Instead of exploring the fascinating idea of a completely different world and society underwater, they always go for the same old landpeople problems we all know, inventing silly reasons as to why the mermaid has to be on land along with it.

I'm however not a fan of CGI either.
    Most of it is either far too expensive, or it looks just plain bad (notable example would be the show Kambal Sirena. The underwater realm was a studio set, the actors just sat there talking, and each one had a horribly animated cgi tail shopped onto them. Looked terrible.)

It also seems counter intuitive, considering most of us strive to be as convincing as possible just in our tails and freediving, without using cgi^^

I'd really like to see a show using RL mers, with their tails, congregating and acting out a story, while swimming in real waters.
    Sort of like "The Underwater Realm" were going about it, but a bit more elaborate (while not being quite as dramatic ).
    If there is need for conversation, I always thought the mers would use sign language.
    This could then be subtitled on video (or even have the actors dub themselves).
    That way, you can have almost all of the story actually take place underwater.

I'd enjoy a show like that- even if it were quite "unprofessional", so to speak- much more than any of the shows on the market so far.
    Last edited by Echidna; 06-28-2021 at 01:51 AM.

Yes! I completely agree. I enjoy the mermaids-mixing-with-land shows myself, but I really would love to see a show take advantage of the fully-underwater plot and storyline. It would be much higher budget, but I think it'd be great. I really enjoyed that Siren used an attempt at a sign language (even if it was somewhat pitiful) because I have always thought that would be a great viable 2nd option as opposed to dubbing in dolphin sounds or something lol.