Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sequin tail makers?

Quote Originally Posted by SleepySiren View Post
    Did you use a tutorial or make the pattern yourself?

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    I made the pattern myself. I took 3 blank sheets of newsprint paper and made a 1-inch graph on all the pieces and drafted my measurements onto it. It probably would've been easier if I used some pattern paper (since I wouldn't have to do all that graphing) but I wanted to get rid of my extra newsprint.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 4.52.50 PM.png
Views: 214
Size:  664.2 KB
    creating the graph on blank newsprint

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 4.53.26 PM.png
Views: 220
Size:  854.5 KB
    connecting the graphed sheets

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 4.54.24 PM.png
Views: 195
Size:  864.5 KB
    drawing my measurements onto the graph to create my pattern

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 4.54.56 PM.png
Views: 196
Size:  877.0 KB
    cutting my pattern

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 4.55.29 PM.png
Size:  687.6 KB
    pinning my pattern down on top of my (folded) fabric to cut
    Mermaid Sagittaria
    Savannah, GA | Richmond, VA
    Competitive Swimmer since 2005 | Aspiring Animator
    9 Time National Champion Swimmer | 11 Time All-American Swimmer
    Art Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/abigail_richey/
    Mermaid Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/tybee_mermaid/

Quote Originally Posted by TybeeMermaid View Post
    I made the pattern myself. I took 3 blank sheets of newsprint paper and made a 1-inch graph on all the pieces and drafted my measurements onto it. It probably would've been easier if I used some pattern paper (since I wouldn't have to do all that graphing) but I wanted to get rid of my extra newsprint.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 4.52.50 PM.png
Views: 214
Size:  664.2 KB
    creating the graph on blank newsprint

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 4.53.26 PM.png
Views: 220
Size:  854.5 KB
    connecting the graphed sheets

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 4.54.24 PM.png
Size:  864.5 KB
    drawing my measurements onto the graph to create my pattern

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 4.54.56 PM.png
Views: 196
Size:  877.0 KB
    cutting my pattern

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 4.55.29 PM.png
Size:  687.6 KB
    pinning my pattern down on top of my (folded) fabric to cut
    Oh ok, that seems relatively simple... still dont trust my own skill though hahah, what kind of sequins did you use?

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    Pod of New England
    Add Ocoree on Facebook
    I've been slowly poking away at my attempt for a sequin tail that uses scuba knit as the base fabric. A bit heavier than spandex (talking about five pounds of fabric alone XP ), but hopefully strong enough to hold up to how I plan to attach the sequins.

Oh ok, that seems relatively simple... still dont trust my own skill though hahah, what kind of sequins did you use?

I used a combination of different colored 30mm round sequins I found on Esty.

Name:  il_570xN.775231434_ii0t.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  105.1 KB

Name:  571c6705473d6_379399n.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  158.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3213 8x10.jpg
Size:  472.9 KB
    Mermaid Sagittaria

I used a combination of different colored 30mm round sequins I found on Esty.

Name:  il_570xN.775231434_ii0t.jpg
Size:  105.1 KB

Name:  571c6705473d6_379399n.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  158.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3213 8x10.jpg
Size:  472.9 KB
    Oh those are gorgeous ♡
    Where they hard to sew on?
    Ideally id love to get the shell shaped sequins some other mers have used but oh boy they seem like a hassle

Oh those are gorgeous ♡
    Where they hard to sew on?
    Ideally id love to get the shell shaped sequins some other mers have used but oh boy they seem like a hassle

No, they weren't too bad. I've seen a lot of tails with the shell-shaped sequins. I just picked these because they were bigger and filled up space faster.
    Mermaid Sagittaria

No, they weren't too bad. I've seen a lot of tails with the shell-shaped sequins. I just picked these because they were bigger and filled up space faster.
    I found these ones which are 47mm.. im just afraid the needle might have a hard time punching through them
    Name:  Screenshot_20180226-182630.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  82.7 KB

Last edited by SleepySiren; 02-27-2018 at 12:38 AM.

If you're concerned about upkeep, sequins will be an even bigger challenge than the resin scales used on mythics. They're also more liable to damage as they're soft plastic, so you'll have to constantly sew new ones on as old ones fall off. This, alongside with replacing heavily damaged scales, can pile up quickly. If you're not prepared/capable of doing some sewing/heavy maintenance yourself, you may want to choose another style.

If you are prepared for that kind of work, by all means try to commission yourself one. Or bite the bullet and make one yourself--you'll have plenty of practice sewing scales on by the end of it

.:YouTube:.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MermaidAiera
    .:Facebook:.
    https://www.facebook.com/MermaidAiera/

^^^ Like me on Facebook for fan updates and booking!!! ^^^
    ^^^ Follow me on Instagram @The_Long_Island_Mermaid ((MermaidAiera)) ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidAiera View Post
    If you're concerned about upkeep, sequins will be an even bigger challenge than the resin scales used on mythics. They're also more liable to damage as they're soft plastic, so you'll have to constantly sew new ones on as old ones fall off. This, alongside with replacing heavily damaged scales, can pile up quickly. If you're not prepared/capable of doing some sewing/heavy maintenance yourself, you may want to choose another style.

If you are prepared for that kind of work, by all means try to commission yourself one. Or bite the bullet and make one yourself--you'll have plenty of practice sewing scales on by the end of it
    I think i could probably handle sewing on broken sequins.. its more the whole sewing the neoprene in a shape and form that will fit me, be safe, allow drainage, and look nice that i find daunting...
    If i can get my aunt on board with the project i may try to make my own.. but i dunno she could probably help me make a fabulous looking tail... but it may not swim or drain properly :/

Quote Originally Posted by MermaidAiera View Post

The big sequins in the photo are actually 1mm thick, so they're sturdier than the Cartwright sequins. They occasionally snap when you sew them by machine, but even my cheapest-Singer-I-could-find machine easily punched through them with a sharp needle. You just need to go slow. My daughter's sequin/neoprene tail lasted quite a long time without losing a sequin...although when we left it in the sun to dry, a few got too hot and curled up.
    Beautiful beaded tops and silicone fins and flukes for enhancing your tail at my Etsy shop: Fancy Fish Fashions!
    Follow me on Facebook

Senior Member Euro Pod Astridia's Avatar
    I bought sheet sequin fabric when I made mine (doesnt have much stretch if any at all so measurments need to be accounted for: best to make it a couple inches too big and reduce where you need t get a snug fit.) you can get reversible sequin fabric everywhere at the minute:

Attachment 42987
    Hope this pic works XP This is a one piece tail I made (zip in the side)

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Fish View Post
    The big sequins in the photo are actually 1mm thick, so they're sturdier than the Cartwright sequins. They occasionally snap when you sew them by machine, but even my cheapest-Singer-I-could-find machine easily punched through them with a sharp needle. You just need to go slow. My daughter's sequin/neoprene tail lasted quite a long time without losing a sequin...although when we left it in the sun to dry, a few got too hot and curled up.
    Oh no curly scales are no good hahah...
    If i can find a good neoprene tail tutorial i miiiight try to attempt this on my own...
    I contacted finfolk about when more mythics would be in stock and it wasnt a very clear answer but it sounds like it wouldnt be till this fall..but i could have completely misunderstood hah

Quote Originally Posted by Astridia View Post
    I bought sheet sequin fabric when I made mine (doesnt have much stretch if any at all so measurments need to be accounted for: best to make it a couple inches too big and reduce where you need t get a snug fit.) you can get reversible sequin fabric everywhere at the minute:

Attachment 42987
    Hope this pic works XP This is a one piece tail I made (zip in the side)
    Oh wow your tail is gorgeous ♡
    Im still leaning towards larger sequins though... i have a mermaid sequin pillow and o boy can it get screwed up easily :/

The Big sequins do look amazing! Scuba jersey is a great fabric to use as a base/liner its super soft, stretches uniformly and is not AS thick as neuprene but a lot cheaper XD

The Big sequins do look amazing! Scuba jersey is a great fabric to use as a base/liner its super soft, stretches uniformly and is not AS thick as neuprene but a lot cheaper XD
    Cheaper is definately better hahah... do you know how well that material holds up? Id hate to put a ton of work into something just to have it wear out really quick :\

Cheaper is definately better hahah... do you know how well that material holds up? Id hate to put a ton of work into something just to have it wear out really quick :\

Not as of yet havent managed to swim in it yet but it's paintable, it's thick and as a jersey i reckon it wears like a t-shirt

Not as of yet havent managed to swim in it yet but it's paintable, it's thick and as a jersey i reckon it wears like a t-shirt
    Let me know when you try it