Thread: First Time Modeling Underwater - What tips do you have for me?

First Time Modeling Underwater - What tips do you have for me?

Hello Mermaids,

I am doing my first underwater modeling shoot with Flashpool productions on Thursday and have a lot of emotions. I am mostly excited but a little nervous because I have never done it before. I am a strong swimmer but want to make sure I get the most out of my time with the photographer.

What suggestions/tips do you guys have for me?

Also, if you have any questions add them in the tread and Pro-mers can answer!

Thanks so much!
    EverythingMermaid.com

[IMG]file:///Users/mollyknye/Downloads/ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif[/IMG]

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    Raina has logged a TON of time underwater and also is a photographer so really, the best of both worlds. She may have even included a chapter about that in one of her books so she would be a good start if you can catch her on here. If you haven't already done so, if you breeze through the photo shoot thread you'll see some GORGEOUS photos of mermaids and mermen for ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Keiris View Post
    Raina has logged a TON of time underwater and also is a photographer so really, the best of both worlds. She may have even included a chapter about that in one of her books so she would be a good start if you can catch her on here. If you haven't already done so, if you breeze through the photo shoot thread you'll see some GORGEOUS photos of mermaids and mermen for ideas.
    Thanks! Ill check it out!

M
    EverythingMermaid.com

most important is being comfortable in and under the water with your eyes open and nose unplugged. ( sounds obvious but many people have trouble)

face control: Avoid holding your breath with your cheeks. Practice relaxing your face and tightening your face and relaxing it again before the shoot. That way you know how it feels to have your face relaxed and the muscle memory to do it underwater when you need to.

Buoyancy control is extremely important for underwater shoots. Sometime the photog will ask you to be just under the surface to get that awesome reflection, and other times might want you laying on the bottom of the pool. Knowing how much weight you need, how to exhale and sink, being comfortable in all water levels is a good thing to practice and to know. Since this is your first shoot, let the photographer know with what elements you are comfortable so they can work with you.

From a photography standpoint. It's really helpful when the model understands light and where to be. If the model is using artificial light in the form of strobes or constant light then your eyes should be lit. This means you would need to face the main light ( referred to as a key light). Normally you can "feel" where the most light is. Make sure you are lit and not your tail . With natural light you don't need to worry about being so precisely in the light.

I do a lot of underwater photography and have been on the other side too.
    http://www.1breathphotos.com

Good luck and remember to have fun
    Last edited by Derek Broussard; 02-28-2018 at 12:24 AM.

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Seaspray Mermaid's Avatar
    Follow Seaspray Mermaid On Twitter Add Seaspray Mermaid on Facebook Add Seaspray Mermaid on Google+
    Follow Seaspray Mermaid on Tumblr Visit Seaspray Mermaid's Youtube Channel
    (following for the great advice)
    I have seen a similar thread elsewhere on the Network, Raina, I believe, does have a video on YouTube about underwater modeling.
    Why blend in when you were so obviously destined to stand out?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Broussard View Post
    most important is being comfortable in and under the water with your eyes open and nose unplugged. ( sounds obvious but many people have trouble)

face control: Avoid holding your breath with your cheeks. Practice relaxing your face and tightening your face and relaxing it again before the shoot. That way you know how it feels to have your face relaxed and the muscle memory to do it underwater when you need to.

Buoyancy control is extremely important for underwater shoots. Sometime the photog will ask you to be just under the surface to get that awesome reflection, and other times might want you laying on the bottom of the pool. Knowing how much weight you need, how to exhale and sink, being comfortable in all water levels is a good thing to practice and to know. Since this is your first shoot, let the photographer know with what elements you are comfortable so they can work with you.

From a photography standpoint. It's really helpful when the model understands light and where to be. If the model is using artificial light in the form of strobes or constant light then your eyes should be lit. This means you would need to face the main light ( referred to as a key light). Normally you can "feel" where the most light is. Make sure you are lit and not your tail . With natural light you don't need to worry about being so precisely in the light.

I do a lot of underwater photography and have been on the other side too.
    http://www.1breathphotos.com

Good luck and remember to have fun
    WOW!!!!

Your photography is amazing! Where were these shot? Thanks for the advice! I didn't know about the lighting. I went and practiced in the pool yesterday and it was harder than I thought. I swam all through college and high school and thought I was a pro in the water. It's different when you are trying to be still underwater and look graceful.

Thanks again!
    EverythingMermaid.com

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod
    I've made a video about this recently!

Quote Originally Posted by AniaR View Post
    I've made a video about this recently!

Thanks Raina! This is exactly what I needed!

Fingers crossed It goes well tomorrow.

M
    EverythingMermaid.com

Yah, you're right! Being still and graceful is very hard! Even in Hawaii where I started my UW photography, A lot of people struggled to model underwater. It's very difficult and takes hours of practice.

Hey it's Thursday today! Can't wait to see how the images turned out. Hope that you share them here.

And to answer your question... most of the Modeling shots are shot hotel pools around Latin America where I am currently touring: Lima Peru, Mexico city, Costa Rica, Santiago Chile all had shootable pools

Quote Originally Posted by mollythemermaid View Post
    WOW!!!!

Your photography is amazing! Where were these shot? Thanks for the advice! I didn't know about the lighting. I went and practiced in the pool yesterday and it was harder than I thought. I swam all through college and high school and thought I was a pro in the water. It's different when you are trying to be still underwater and look graceful.

Thanks again!

So the shoot went super well! It was A LOT HARDER THAN I EXPECTED!!! I grew up in the water and feel very comfortable but trying to model underwater was next level. I will update with pictures when I get them. Thanks everyone for your help!

Molly
    EverythingMermaid.com

Senior Member Undisclosed Pod Seaspray Mermaid's Avatar
    Follow Seaspray Mermaid On Twitter Add Seaspray Mermaid on Facebook Add Seaspray Mermaid on Google+
    Follow Seaspray Mermaid on Tumblr Visit Seaspray Mermaid's Youtube Channel
    So happy to hear it went well! Can't wait to see the pictures!

Hey Everyone!

Check out the full review! If you want to schedule a session with Sarah at Flashpool productions just mention my blog www.EverythingMermaid.com and get an automatic $25 off!
    EverythingMermaid.com