Thread: Ariel - Crossplay 2018

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member North Pacific Pod Arking's Avatar
    Add Arking on Facebook
    Add Arking on Linkedin Follow Arking on Tumblr Follow Arking on Flickr

Ariel - Crossplay 2018

Well I'm going to formalize this and give it it's own thread so I can update and not spam other areas of the site with progress updates.

I'm going to try and crossplay Ariel this year doing a photoshoot using some props and various costumes.

My Proof of concept:

Moved from a different thread:

What you can expect: The same dude who's going to be Eric (pictured on the right) will be doing Tom Riddle in my Harry Potter set of photos, and then I've got Game of Thrones to finish. @_@ I'm notorious for starting projects and then getting swept up in a current of something new. But my Tumblr has been active lately catching all the activity as I touch up and do all the detailing and embroidery on some of the costumes. While that is going I can focus on adding scales to the new tail which I think will just have the waist fins like in the animation so I don't need to concern myself with a flesh-tone blend. ^-^

The four major scenes I'd like to recreate in costume are:

Jig & The Storm (A Curious Encounter) -
    Ariel peaking over the deck with Flounder watching the dancing. Green screen using a wooden table I just built and lots of stock photography

The Grotto -
    Using green screen again and hand sculpted and painted styrofoam with a combination of underwater photography and I finally get to use my DJ H20 Led Light for this one!

The Rescue -
    Eric on the Beach with the palace in the background using scene replacement. Lighthouse Park, BC pictured on the right will be the staging area and Chateau de Chillon will substitute for Eric's seaside palace overlaying where the lighthouse is in that scene. With the scene/image reversed to give the illusion of looking at it from the other direction (to match the Chateau and animation) and modifications to the architecture to better fit the animated depiction including the lighted pier.

Kiss the Girl Lagoon
    - Sunset pond scene with fireflies possibly the hardest to accomplish but using the Lost Lagoon in Stanley Park, BC as the primary backdrop with photos taken elsewhere (likely on land) and green screened back in for the final image.

I intend to try and make use of my film skills with this so each one will actually be a gif file when I'm finally finished, which should also explain why both props for Sebastian and Flounder are mentioned to be animatronic. I just need to re-skin and repaint them so that they better fit. Small scenes I can do on my own will be The Dinner Scene, Bedtime, and the Wedding Announcement all land based ones with simple costumes that would feature the small animatronics more than costumes.
    Last edited by Arking; 06-25-2018 at 11:41 AM.