Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ariel - Crossplay 2018

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Arking's Avatar
    Add Arking on Facebook
    Add Arking on Linkedin Follow Arking on Tumblr Follow Arking on Flickr

Ariel - Crossplay 2018

Well I'm going to formalize this and give it it's own thread so I can update and not spam other areas of the site with progress updates.

I'm going to try and crossplay Ariel this year doing a photoshoot using some props and various costumes.

My Proof of concept:

Moved from a different thread:

What you can expect: The same dude who's going to be Eric (pictured on the right) will be doing Tom Riddle in my Harry Potter set of photos, and then I've got Game of Thrones to finish. @_@ I'm notorious for starting projects and then getting swept up in a current of something new. But my Tumblr has been active lately catching all the activity as I touch up and do all the detailing and embroidery on some of the costumes. While that is going I can focus on adding scales to the new tail which I think will just have the waist fins like in the animation so I don't need to concern myself with a flesh-tone blend. ^-^

The four major scenes I'd like to recreate in costume are:

Jig & The Storm (A Curious Encounter) -
    Ariel peaking over the deck with Flounder watching the dancing. Green screen using a wooden table I just built and lots of stock photography

The Grotto -
    Using green screen again and hand sculpted and painted styrofoam with a combination of underwater photography and I finally get to use my DJ H20 Led Light for this one!

The Rescue -
    Eric on the Beach with the palace in the background using scene replacement. Lighthouse Park, BC pictured on the right will be the staging area and Chateau de Chillon will substitute for Eric's seaside palace overlaying where the lighthouse is in that scene. With the scene/image reversed to give the illusion of looking at it from the other direction (to match the Chateau and animation) and modifications to the architecture to better fit the animated depiction including the lighted pier.

Kiss the Girl Lagoon
    - Sunset pond scene with fireflies possibly the hardest to accomplish but using the Lost Lagoon in Stanley Park, BC as the primary backdrop with photos taken elsewhere (likely on land) and green screened back in for the final image.

I intend to try and make use of my film skills with this so each one will actually be a gif file when I'm finally finished, which should also explain why both props for Sebastian and Flounder are mentioned to be animatronic. I just need to re-skin and repaint them so that they better fit. Small scenes I can do on my own will be The Dinner Scene, Bedtime, and the Wedding Announcement all land based ones with simple costumes that would feature the small animatronics more than costumes.
    Last edited by Arking; 06-25-2018 at 11:41 AM.

Add Arking on Facebook
    Attachment 42989

Art by Sakimi-Chan

I've had no luck finding the little wind up crustacean that I wanted to use for Sebastian which is unfortunate but not the end of the world. On the upside the toss and swim fish I intend to use as the under structure for flounder is relatively easy to get.

I'm considering investing in a copper red wig from Arda wigs $55 (USD), the Marty lace front is currently my choice option but I need to budget for it. My hair is already red but it's naturally a silvery blonde and I've been growing it out to cut it to the length I regularly enjoy, a wig would allow me the colour I like without the obligation of holding onto the red for months on end. For whatever reason red hair doesn't fade in my case and doesn't need to be reapplied again and again but it means theres a noticeable difference in my natural lighter colour and the vibrant red I choose.

I'd also like to do a few costumes for the shoot, the casual land blue vest and white undershirt, as well as a formal sea-foam coloured suit-jacket embellished with coral and shell embroidery.
    Last edited by Arking; 06-25-2018 at 11:38 AM.

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    That formal sea-foam colored jacket with embellishments sounds gorgeous!

Add Arking on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Keiris View Post
    That formal sea-foam colored jacket with embellishments sounds gorgeous!
    Thanks I'm going to be basing the intricacy off of the Prince in Beauty in the Beast.

Attachment 42990
    I've wanted one since I saw the movie last summer. It is a Georgian patterned jacket but I would do a similar cut done in seafoam.

The ornate rococo leaves replaced by kelp intertwining up the jacket towards the collar with pearls and glass gems of various sizes interwoven like bubbles rising up the embroidery, carved mother of pearl or abalone buttons replacing the silver rose ones in the photo above. The inner portion of the chest lining has organza with crosshatched embroidery beneath it, I'd keep that the same but interwork embroidery of shells, crustaceans, schools of fish and as the lining rises up the body, birds. As if to evoke the idea of leaving the sea the embroidery changes as it moves up the form of the jacket.

The body of the jacket is covered in damask roses cut out of velveteen and stitched delicately onto the satin body this I would have replaced with stylized sea anemone. The lattice work located on the sleeve and beneath the rib of the jacket I would change to resemble fan coral, and work in more coral styles throughout the lower portion. Lastly I'd sneak in embroideries on the cuffs of the jacket of the marguerite daisy, the national flower of Denmark and a nod to Hans Christian Anderson.
    Last edited by Arking; 06-25-2018 at 11:39 AM.

Add Arking on Facebook
    My colour scheme here will be similar to the redesign which uses seafoam and a variation of Ariel Green. My natural inclination is to do an ombre dye from one to the other but instead I think I'll do a primary seafoam satin base with a velveteen ariel green accent and silver/white pearl embroidery thread. The liner will be ariel green if I can find a good satin or silk in that colour. Come to think of it if I can get Abalone shells I might carve starfish onto them.

For accent gems and embellishments I can take teardrop glass gems and arrange them into clam shapes using 3-5 gems in a fan pattern, it would be nice to have a few of these in a lilac colour on the seafoam to represent the clamshell bodice. I can also use teardrop gems arranged wide end in around a single small purple or seagreen gem to make crystal glass starfish.

These are also rather nice in case the abalone or mother of pearl button idea falls through...
    Attachment 42993
    Last edited by Arking; 03-03-2018 at 07:15 PM.

Add Arking on Facebook
    Today was embroidery day. That is, I spent three hours designing kelp and other sea creatures to later be printed out by my machine. If I do this once every two days I can get pretty far on this single costume, but I've got a lot of other projects under way so I'm not really seeing this going much faster than this.

Add Keiris on Facebook
    You definitely have your work cut out for you young man. At least it will keep you off the streets at night.

Add Arking on Facebook
    Haha the streets are my place to be at night, that being I walk 10km home every night I have work. It's what's helped me slim down and tone up recently.

Add Arking on Facebook
    I'm at a crossroads. I have another tail I can make and I'm considering piping paintable silicone onto neoprene while it's flat rather than doing it spit roast style. Thing is I'm definitely wary of the silicone cracking but am aware that thinner coats tend not to do this so if I'm gentle and patient with it and only use the silicone to give it a very lightly scaled appearance all will probably be fine.

But then there is the issue of fins...I intend to add side fins to my new tail, as well as doing a split fin rather than a big solid one like my previous design. Thing is my monofin is so big that at the very least a mostly solid fin is necessary. I'd also like this to be a "Little Mermaid" styled tail and don't want to deviate too far from the animation for the purpose of using it in photoshoots. I'm aware and capable of photoediting the heck out of the tail to remove bells and whistles (more fins) to make it line up with the animation but I'm wondering if it'd just be easier to pull another prop tail out of my pocket rather than design a functioning one and potentially use some some expensive neoprene in the process.

My heart is set on using silicone to adhere scales this time rather than any other material. Doing another prop one before doing a proper neoprene is only attractive in that I might get more practice making a dummy tail made with swimmable spandex. If I go that route I'll probably be cutting up some foam to help pad material and even out the shape so it appears more uniform and tail-like. If I stick with neoprene it's got enough body I won't have to do that.

As an update to actual costume development. I've settled on buying a wig for this - Hansel by Arda wigs in Crimson to match up with the bulk of animated interpretations of how a genderbent Ariel would look.

Add Arking on Facebook
    No updates on this costume tonight sadly. I did finish my Medieval doublet for a Game of Thrones cosplay, and then immediately cut and prepared a second. Freeing up space in my fabric trunk has never been so easy.

Add Arking on Facebook
    So I finished prepping my second pattern for a doublet, that is cutting minimal interfacing, and adding darts to the vest front and back. I'm bringing this up because it's sort of related to the idea of getting comfortable with period patterns. I still need to find a good Georgian Suit Jacket pattern that I like but for now this medieval style is very close to the shape it'll eventually take.

Aside from that I ended up running out of some alligator skin patterned vinyl. The remainder of my afternoon was spent tearing apart two of my steamer trunks (what mer person doesn't have a few of those lying around eh?) looking through yards of material. In the end I managed to make it work to my advantage sorting out one bin for costume fabrics, and one for practical garments where before they were intermixed. To add insult to injury though after sorting my entire collection I was at a loss as to where it may have been and ended up finding it in the bottom of my mechanical props bin where it really shouldn't have been. The remainder of my evening was spent cutting out more scales for some scalemail underpants.

It's disappointing that there wasn't more time to be more physical and workout today with all the mess that ended up being made in the search, but there is some relief now that I may breeze through many projects with everything sorted the way it is.
    Last edited by Arking; 03-07-2018 at 02:03 AM.

Add Arking on Facebook
    Whilst on my 10km walk in to work today I settled on a tail redesign that will meet my Ariel needs and my desire for a more exquisite design. I'm going to admit up front my solution came when reflecting on the work of Merbella Tails and will in my part try to mimic a design close to one of their fin patterns. I'm not great at making tails and probably going to look nothing like their masterful craftsmanship, but as an artist I feel something needs to be said when someone gets inspiration from another person, even more so when the plan is to copy that persons work even if it's for non-commercial purposes.

Now onto some details, I'm copying a look but modifying the design to go from an aesthetic choice to a necessary and functional part of my own design that will allow me to hide my monofin and get the split tail shape I want for this look. I've also just resigned to the idea of adding extra fins because I can remove those in post processing if I need to, and I'd really like to have them on this tail anyway.

Add Arking on Facebook
    What a long week. Took some time to finish two doublets a pair of scale briefs (for a Robin costume), and am medieval shirt. Slowly working my way through back projects with the intention to start working on the new tail near the end of the month. I need to focus more on hitting up the gym to help me meet my goals.

Add Keiris on Facebook
    It's always hard to fit the gym in when you're trying to cram in so many creative projects, I know. When will we see pics of your creations?

I'm curious to see as well as it sounds amazing, and I can barely sew a rectangle anymore:P

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    Twilight darkens, yet there in the shade,
    Lies a glimmering shadow, the wild mermaid;

As night draws ever closer, there's a choice to be made--
    Will you stay as you are, or be delivered to the waves?

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper

Add Arking on Facebook
    I guess today is as good a day as any to do a photoshoot of my costumes

Add Keiris on Facebook
    You GO boy! We want to see them!

This is AMAZING

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    Twilight darkens, yet there in the shade,
    Lies a glimmering shadow, the wild mermaid;

As night draws ever closer, there's a choice to be made--
    Will you stay as you are, or be delivered to the waves?

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper

Add Arking on Facebook
    That's all for today I need to take my pup for a walk and hit the gym!

Add Arking on Facebook
    Also just to follow up, the first three pictures are the medieval shirt and two doublets (one brown the other copper). These are unfinished as the shirt needs grommets and lacing, the doublets need clasps and embroidery one is getting lions and the other dragons. These outfits both need a pair of lace up pants in either vinyl or heavy cotton and long black boots.

The next set is the scale briefs I was talking about for my Boy Wonder Robin costume. The shirt on this costume needs to be taken in and probably reduced in length. I want to remake the belt instead of using this rubber one, and I need an undershirt for it. Oh and the red shirt/vest needs yellow clasps.

Last is my Link costume which is also needing some repair work. It doesn't fit right so I'm remaking the tunic and chugging out hylian embroidery to decorate it. The gauntlets need rolled leather instead of threading, and theres a detail pattern I need to sew onto them. I also have a chainmail shirt that is unfinished that goes underneath it. It needs a new belt with pouches for holding things, and various lacing. A pair of pants and shirt are currently in my "to sew" pile as the original matching shirt and pants along with the wig were all stolen in a theft that happened a while back.