Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ariel - Crossplay 2018

Senior Member North Pacific Pod inanna's Avatar
    welcome back!
    grays harbor mermaid
    "She would be half the world away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by the moonlight"
    - Janet Fitch

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Arking's Avatar
    Add Arking on Facebook
    Add Arking on Linkedin Follow Arking on Tumblr Follow Arking on Flickr
    Quote Originally Posted by Keiris View Post
    About damn time, merman...….
    It's odd for some reason I thought I was always around and had replied lol. I kept looking to see if anyone was replying to threads I frequent on here and got none in the past few months. :P Turns out when I finally checked I hadn't posted last afterall so there was nothing for anyone to respond too!

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    What are you working on young man?

Add Arking on Facebook
    Being cute, getting fit.

In reality I finally started a Instagram last week and was always somewhat active on Tumblr. After my Kidney Stone I got really sick, with what ended up being a gram-negative bacterial infection caused by Yersinia which is that same little bugger that causes plague. I'm technically still under some form of watch/quarantine which is kinda crummy lol but not too serious as I'm perfectly fit and able to function/work.

As for "work" work I'm doing some commissions for friends, mostly shorts and various other pieces of clothing to get by. Someone wants 7 pairs of shorts for summer and another wanted a thong that made his bum look rounder so it's been me mostly making custom patterns and experimenting instead of doing the things I wanted to do.

My Ariel Cosplay got put on hold, throughout April I was depressed and struggled to stay motivated/feel anything. Thankfully though I'm coming out of it and all of the work I did ahead of time was still waiting for me. So I'm ready to grab a caulk and get pumping out some scales.

Add Arking on Facebook

I did do a photoshoot for the end of May last night. Trying on the old fishy tail before I replace it with a much sleeker model with additional fins and a brighter ariel green colour.
    Last edited by Arking; 06-25-2018 at 11:35 AM.

Add Keiris on Facebook
    Ugh. Sorry to hear you were feeling so poorly but glad you're getting better. On the upside, those pics are great! "Being cute and getting fit" indeed!!!!!

Add Arking on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Keiris View Post
    Ugh. Sorry to hear you were feeling so poorly but glad you're getting better. On the upside, those pics are great! "Being cute and getting fit" indeed!!!!!
    Haha yeah I was totally hoping to have a new tail by the end of April but that's life. I've been surprised that there's quite a few merpeople in my area now, lots of fabric tails really taking off and it's not so uncommon. Even still I had to trek pretty far out to find a nice beach to take some shots.

Add Arking on Facebook
    Added two new photos to my tumblr to check out. Might sneak some onto my Instagram later. This photoshoot proved fruitful.

Add Keiris on Facebook
    So where are they??

Add Keiris on Facebook

Add Arking on Facebook
    You'll be able to keep up with a lot of my progress day to day on there as I make sure to post twice daily to that account. Keeps me motivated to know people are watching and looking for updates.

Add Arking on Facebook
    Whelp, finished all my side projects for now. I'm exhausted but I really want to have a new tail by the months end so tomorrow I'm measuring and cutting the new pattern. My biggest hurdle is deciding whether I want to use the same monofin as before which is HUUUUUGE. Almost unrealistically big to scale up to again since I'm looking at doing a split tail design that's a bit more demure. Aside from that I'm doing lots of careful detail work and hand application so I expect it'll be some time before it's complete, weeks to say the least.

Add Arking on Facebook

Thoughts on which wig I should get?
    Last edited by Arking; 06-25-2018 at 11:31 AM.

I'd say if you're sticking to the brighter green, the cartoon color might be best. I really like the Disney Parks red, but I'd pair it with the natural green you've got in your most recent "old fishy tail" pics.

In any case, you'll look fintastic!

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    Twilight darkens, yet there in the shade,
    Lies a glimmering shadow, the wild mermaid;

As night draws ever closer, there's a choice to be made--
    Will you stay as you are, or be delivered to the waves?

Laumina the Storm Siren

Instagram: mermaidwhisperofficial | Facebook: Mermaid Whisper | YouTube: Mermaid Whisper

Add Arking on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Mermaid Whisper View Post
    I'd say if you're sticking to the brighter green, the cartoon color might be best. I really like the Disney Parks red, but I'd pair it with the natural green you've got in your most recent "old fishy tail" pics.

In any case, you'll look fintastic!

Sent from my [device_name] using MerNetwork mobile app
    I really like Disney Parks Red myself, and was leaning towards it considering my affinity for the more natural greens. I do have a really bright ariel green that was going to be mixed with some other pigments (dry brushing the scales so the raised parts are ariel green and deeper parts are a darker green) and was going to fade the fins out with a lighter teal/seafoam. The green won't be too different than the one I've got, but it will be coated with a green/purple iridescent and applied after a silver base coat. Still need to try this out and see what mixture looks best

Add Arking on Facebook
    Well updates, finally got to working on the new tail this morning. Basically doing tests with the silicon combs I made to work on textures etc. I'm also making a few molds for the additional fins I was going to do to see if I can get the caulk out of the mold and have it adhere to neoprene sandwiched between it for ease of attachment (sewn) and durability.

Add Arking on Facebook
    Name:  tailredesign.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  40.2 KB
    #Goals.

So this is the new tail I'm hooooping to put together. It's a larger fin portion with hidden pocket for the monofin I have. Probably all together 6-12" longer than the previous fin and 8" wider. Doing some fancy fins down the front, and sides but not on the back going down the spinal column. Its a neoprene with silicone caulk tail with the scales individually piped and pulled then textured with a scallop texture using needle tools. The fins will be a mixture of the pulled caulk using the fin combs I've designed and some molds. Base layer of paint is a silver/gunmetal black with a olivine green second coat. Each scale will then be dry brushed with ariel green and a final light coat will be applied with dichroic paint in the purple/green spectrum. Light areas near the top will fade into fleshtone, and fins will fade into a seafoam green.

Add Arking on Facebook
    So I woke up Monday with my tonsils infected. I think this is partially why I'm giving up lately. I'm just constantly sick and under some kind of miasma cloud thats choking out any energy and happiness I can muster. Seriously missing the pristine salty ocean spray that made me feel healthy 100% of the time. I'm medicating with 400mg ibuprofen and orajel to numb the area and it seems to be working well enough that I'm just suffering from a fever and slight vertigo at times.

Updates on the tail. So the molds didn't work. I think my release agent was crap but at the same time I'm just going to have to sculpt it by hand again this time with more detailed utensils that I've made myself. I feel like putting myself to work like this will help me clear my mind after I get better in the next day or so.

Add Keiris on Facebook
    Arking, sorry to see that you're feeling so poorly! Uhhhgghh, it's so hard to stay motivated to do ANYTHING when you don't feel well. Take care of yourself! The tail can wait.