Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ariel - Crossplay 2018

Senior Member North Pacific Pod Arking's Avatar
    Add Arking on Facebook
    Add Arking on Linkedin Follow Arking on Tumblr Follow Arking on Flickr
    Quote Originally Posted by Keiris View Post
    Arking, sorry to see that you're feeling so poorly! Uhhhgghh, it's so hard to stay motivated to do ANYTHING when you don't feel well. Take care of yourself! The tail can wait.
    Awe thanks!

I'm motivating myself by planning the Florida trip next year. My roomy is getting a camper and it looks like we're shooting for Key West. I'm a bit sleepy, drugs kicking in, but my throat no longer hurts as of a few minutes ago. Some oatmeal and honey seems to have done some wonders on soothing the swelling.

Add Arking on Facebook
    Whelp updates.

No progress on anything what so ever. I've had to work the past week almost every day and never with enough time off to really heal or get better. This has caused a bit of a problem as I never had the time to make it to the clinic to find out what was wrong. Sometime over the weekend my tonsils got so swollen they pushed towards the center of my throat preventing me from opening my jaw without excessive force, and causing me discomfort swallowing and sometimes breathing. Doctor said it was probably strep and sent me to get some meds that he said could clear it up. I'm on day 3 of the meds I started Monday afternoon and there's been little progress in that department. There's some talk about having to do surgery which would be crap, to both drain a possible infection in the jaw and behind the tonsils and potentially to remove the tonsils themselves.

I've been mostly positive during the whole thing but did have a bit of a breakdown earlier this week when trying to eat a sandwich and my jaw couldnt open enough to manage without stabbing pains down my neck which prevented me from swallowing. It's just a hurdle, I'll get past it.

Add Arking on Facebook
    Oh I lied I do have one update....

Last edited by Arking; 06-25-2018 at 11:26 AM.

Senior Member Pod of The South Keiris's Avatar
    Add Keiris on Facebook
    You got your male Ariel "DO!" Nice. When you wear that with your full costume for pictures, You might consider brushing some comparable pigment through your eyebrows and sideburns since that color is so saturated. It will be nice to offset those big baby blues. And for Pete's Sake take care of that throat young man!!!

Add Arking on Facebook
    You got your male Ariel "DO!" Nice. When you wear that with your full costume for pictures, You might consider brushing some comparable pigment through your eyebrows and sideburns since that color is so saturated. It will be nice to offset those big baby blues. And for Pete's Sake take care of that throat young man!!!
    Lol yes normally I temporarily dye my burns and brows. The wig isnt even styled but it looks good out of the bag. I had a fever and was sweating through taking this photo which is why it's touched up to hell and back. I've been unable to stay focused for very long because of my energy levels plunging. Doesnt help the weather here is varying by over 20 degrees high and lows lately.

My eyes look unnaturally big. I had to check the filters vs the real photos several times to be sure it wasn't enlarging them...kinda freaks me out.
    Last edited by Arking; 06-25-2018 at 11:23 AM.

Add Keiris on Facebook
    They look big like HER eyes! That will be a pretty good gender swap. If your hair is still blonde when you do the whole look, you can always just use a red brow pencil or red/burgundy eyeshadow to tweek your brows/burns. Sorry, the old Hollywood makeup artist in me came oozing out.

Add Arking on Facebook
    Well now I know who to talk to about getting makeup for myself. Its the one thing I havent had the courage to do :S

Add Arking on Facebook
    Surgery in the next few days if things dont improve, was in the ER today but sadly the hospital didnt have the proper equipment to instantly relieve the problem. Basically my airway is slowly constricting, very slowly im suffocating rather than getting better. The hope is that the meds I'm on will eventually solve the problem but that doesnt appear to be happening just yet. The ER doc said I should be at another nearby hospital where they could have readily performed the surgery and instantly solved the issue without pause for medication hoping my body will reverse course.

I'm hoping for cost savings that the meds work, I unfortunately havent taken time off at all during this and this is partially why I'm not getting any better. But money is tight and my work is already asking me to consider whether I still need the time that i scheduled off next month three months ago. It's been a hellish past few months and even the doctors are concerned about how things have developed right around the time I should be getting better again.

That sounds awful, Arking. Best wishes for your health and finances! My wife and I are in a different situation, but we know what it's like for loads of bad stuff to happen one after another.

Take care and all the best for your cosplay!
    "Only in death does duty end." -- Warhammer 40,000

Add Arking on Facebook
    Thanks

I'm just a little depressed is all, the doctors say its actually the meds and the illness causing the depression and that with time (hopefully a few days) it'll go away and I'll be in tip top shape again. So to be specific what I have is called a peritonsillar abscess which has caused secondary issues the biggest being something called trismus or more commonly known as lockjaw. I can talk and open my mouth but only wide enough to fit a finger between my teeth. As most people can talk even with their jaw clenched I do not look or sound ill, which is why I'm able to go to work rather than rest up.

I'm on stronger medication now, which apparently is great for my skin. It's been less than 24 hours but the hope is by tomorrow morning the new meds will have worked through my system and begun fighting the effects of the infection in the lining of my throat and tonsils. It'll be a few days after probably Wed or Thurs before I can fully move my jaw again and the swelling is completely gone if everything goes smoothly.

I'm irritated because a week ago I presented these symptoms and vocalized my concern but my doctor didn't feel concerned and prescribed me medication that even the pharmacist said was an unusually low dosage. To that end I paid for a medication that served to do me no good while my symptoms worsened to a state where they became (without anti-inflammatory medication I bought for myself) potentially life threatening. Saturday was crummy because in a reclining position I began to choke on my own saliva which is gross I know, but this led to the eventual evening visit to the ER doc who said surgery was recommended but higher dosage medication was all he could manage without the ENT present. So it's another week of feeling funky and drinking from a metal straw.

If I do not show signs of improvement by tomorrow afternoon I'll likely be in the ER again and they'll just do the surgery to remove the infection and instantly relieve the problem. As it is though Strep was a shot in the dark the first doctor took and I still have no idea why this is happening. I got a call that my results were available on Saturday but I had to schedule an appointment with a doctor 4 days later (Tomorrow) to get them.

Add Keiris on Facebook
    OMG You really are having a time of it! What a nightmare! How are you even sleeping at night?

Add Arking on Facebook
    OMG You really are having a time of it! What a nightmare! How are you even sleeping at night?
    Lol, I wasn't! That was part of the problem for two weeks. I'd be waking up at 4am with a strange choking sensation and then not being able to get back to sleep. The cocktail I'm on now has been helping but the doctors were concerned at one point I'd be so doped up I'd just suffocate which is funny in a terrifying "WHAT!?" kind of way.

Add Arking on Facebook
    You know you're in hell when those tiny canned mushrooms give you difficulty when you're eating...

Add Arking on Facebook
    Its over. I had surgery. I'm going to rest for a day tomorrow but the doctor said I should recover. Still no solid foods for awhile but I just had blueberry cheesecake ice cream and ill have probably chowder later tonight.

Add Keiris on Facebook
    Tonsillectomy?

Add Arking on Facebook
    Nope, just several deep stabs to the lining of my throat behind the tonsils and then a flooding of the infected area. Gross as it sounds they removed about 8oz of infection

Senior Member North Pacific Pod inanna's Avatar
    daaaaaaang are you gonna be okay?
    grays harbor mermaid
    "She would be half the world away, floating in a turquoise sea, dancing by the moonlight"
    - Janet Fitch

Add Arking on Facebook
    should be. I feel a lot better this morning than I have in a long time. I guess the infection really dragged down my energy levels more than I gave it credit for. I still can't open my jaw but because its a secondary complication it'll take longer to heal than my throat did. I mean I guess I still have a huge cut (no stitches my jaw is too closed) in the back of my throat but I'm no longer choking and it appears every thing has gone back to normal in that regard. They say it'll take a week and it'll be like it never happened

Add Keiris on Facebook
    That's great news! I wonder how they opened your jaw wide enough for the instruments....Glad you're on the mend!!

Add Arking on Facebook
    They didn't sadly. My jaw was open enough that they had a small camera and very long stabby tools. It wasn't a slice and go operation very much carving like a pumpkin to get through the thick throat lining. I wasnt on much if any anesthetic the whole time because of that and got to feel the whole thing